Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Walnut [Batched Ticks] Galaxy Signup » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Walnut [Batched Ticks] Galaxy Signup
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Alarik Player-Rank: 3 Alarik is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

Registration Date: 29.03.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tingling
So we can maybe have 10 ticks in 10 seconds :p

I think i just saw the server raise one eyebrow at you....

Shocked
14.05.2014 19:41 Alarik is offline Send an Email to Alarik Search for Posts by Alarik Add Alarik to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
But Erwin said he can still set it up for us .. And can maybe even do ticks that are less than 60 seconds.. So we can maybe have 10 ticks in 10 seconds :p

Maybe we could do one tick per 6 seconds - so in one minute we could have 10 turns. But I'd have to test that first of course.
14.05.2014 20:19 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

Depends on the galaxy size. Gigantiahuge required 3 minutes per tick after a while, to process each tick.
Let's not mess with it. One minute per tick is fine. Large galaxies might need 2-3 minutes per tick. That would only be 30 minutes and we have allowed an hour so we should be fine.
14.05.2014 20:41 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

Thread Starter Thread Started by tingling

Hmm.. Considering I indirectly caused mayhem with the team galaxy Xp settings.. Maybe I'd prefer a safe route and scrap the idea for quicker ticks heh.. Though I do wonder what would happen if the server or client needs to work that fast hmm

15.05.2014 13:23 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
raf7 Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 14.05.2009

Well, I guess only Erwin can clarify what can be done safely, because the timing we would need to consider comes server processing power.

On any case, one idea would be to process the turns consecutively (instead of ticking them), by detecting the end of each individual task and launching a new one in cycle on N iterations (where N is the size of the batch). With this, and a new check box in the galaxy creation/configuration menu (Batched processing/ How many turns/ When), it would become automatic and safe. And, as side effect, it would probably also keep the galaxy virtually closed during processing.

15.05.2014 17:34 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

I am looking forward to this Big Grin

quote:
Hmm.. Considering I indirectly caused mayhem with the team galaxy Xp settings.. Maybe I'd prefer a safe route and scrap the idea for quicker ticks heh.. Though I do wonder what would happen if the server or client needs to work that fast hmm

Little mayhem is good.

quote:
Hmm.. Not sure why I didn't suggest this before.. But wouldn't it make sense to run this galaxy using prime time ticks? That way I don't need to be manually doing the 10 turns every day heh.. And worry about over shooting 10 mins..

the galaxy would still run 10 turns in 10 mins a day.. And I can pause galaxies any time to skip a day though I believe..

Isn't there a file, like the position file in TG's, you can give Erwin to set the tick times. Not sure, but thought I read about it once. Maybe the Prime time ticks you are talking about.

I don't think it should be a big concern if someone is logged-in when the ticks happen. I believe all players will honor the spirit of the game.

Hoping more players show up. Governors are not going to be the winning factor. Admirals on the other hand????
17.05.2014 00:54 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

Alright, I have just tested the prime-time feature, and needed to make a small adjustment to make it work properly. It's only working reliably with 1 min ticks. So I have set it up now so that it would tick at a rate of 1 turn per minute between 17:00 and 17:10.
17.05.2014 01:49 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Confused Player-Rank: 3 Confused is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Registration Date: 14.07.2009

cant you prevent people from playing during that time to level the playing field? just throwing an idea out there obviously Smile

17.05.2014 02:05 Confused is offline Send an Email to Confused Search for Posts by Confused Add Confused to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
Alright, I have just tested the prime-time feature, and needed to make a small adjustment to make it work properly. It's only working reliably with 1 min ticks. So I have set it up now so that it would tick at a rate of 1 turn per minute between 17:00 and 17:10.

Thank you.. Sorry for bothering you with it

17.05.2014 02:59 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

I wonder if it could be set up to automatically go offline just before the batch processing, then do the batch, then go online again.
17.05.2014 03:18 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

Theoretically it is possible to kick everyone out of the galaxy as soon as prime-time starts, and not allow anyone to log on, until prime-time is over. Maybe I can code that on Monday. Before that I will be busy...
17.05.2014 11:25 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
Theoretically it is possible to kick everyone out of the galaxy as soon as prime-time starts, and not allow anyone to log on, until prime-time is over. Maybe I can code that on Monday. Before that I will be busy...

Roger that Erwin, and thank you for your help and attention... Smile

For what is worth, I think coding it is a good investment, because I foresee that we will be using the batched settings very often from here on. Freeing tingling (and myself, who was already in position as back up) from manually running the batches is already great.

I agree with Sygor, and trust that all players honor their word. On any case, assuring that the galaxy stays closed during turn processing seals the matter completely and sets up collective ease.

17.05.2014 13:55 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List

Am thinking to post a blurb on the front page about this galaxy for a couple of days.. Anyone with an idea about a post and image? :p

17.05.2014 16:32 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

Walnuts?

17.05.2014 21:00 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List

How about this

Nuts about programming codes? Then put your governors and admirals to the test in the latest innovation in galaxy settings. Introducing the Walnut Galaxy, where ticks are processed only once a day every 5pm CET, but in batches of 10 turns a time.

Designed to level the playing field for players who can't be online all the time, participants of the galaxy will agree not to issue new orders in the hour that the turns are processed. That means the galaxy only allows you to make changes to strategy and the set up of your empire every 10 turns - making reliable governors and admirals all the more important to give you an edge for cosmic supremacy.

So if you think you and your admirals are up for the challenge, signup in the forums here. The galaxy starts in about a day's time on 19 May.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by tingling: 18.05.2014 11:38.

18.05.2014 03:01 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

RE: Last one Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Latest signup list

1. tingling
2. JJ
3. raf7
4. geralth
5. Radiance
6. SyGor
7. tmog66
8. zoot
9. Nekoj
10.Multiglow
11. bytehunter
12. Alarik
13. mizzihood
14. bartosz_1983
15. mephures

18.05.2014 03:12 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

It is very interesting to see that this galaxy is activating all the tools that Erwin programmed into the game. It is already clear that Governors and Admirals can play an important role, one that has been partially overshadowed by activity for 5 CS years (with Micromanagement often beating Macromagement, enforced by logins).

In my opinion, the absolute need to login as the only way to deal with the moves of other active players is the most restrictive and potentially unfriendly side of playing CS. When the only options are either to frantically login or to meet great disadvantage, personal freedom and time can suffer, and I believe that this is the single most important factor that made dozens, if not hundreds of players to struggle and quit. Even with perfect awareness of how great CS really is.

And this is why I believe that the Walnut Galaxy is a massive turning point. With activity perfectly leveled by the batched ticks, investment of time and attention reduced to a tiny fraction, and strategy, skill and good options magnified as winning factors, I see many good doors opening for our CS games to become even more enjoyable than they already are, and also more widely participated.

It will be interesting to see how we will be able to handle this new way of playing, as there is probably a new learning curve ahead of us... Smile

Latest signup list

1. tingling
2. JJ
3. raf7
4. geralth
5. Radiance
6. SyGor
7. tmog66
8. zoot
9. Nekoj
10.Multiglow
11. bytehunter
12. Alarik
13. mizzihood
14. bartosz_1983
15. mephures

(Starts today, 19th of May, at 17:00 CET)

19.05.2014 01:20 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
mizzihood Player-Rank: 4 mizzihood is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1137.gif

Registration Date: 04.10.2009

It's not an advanced galaxy... I can't load my govs..
19.05.2014 06:33 mizzihood is offline Send an Email to mizzihood Homepage of mizzihood Search for Posts by mizzihood Add mizzihood to your Buddy List
Confused Player-Rank: 3 Confused is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Registration Date: 14.07.2009

quote:
Originally posted by mizzihood
It's not an advanced galaxy... I can't load my govs..

restart your client (maybe even a few times) - its a bug that has been surfacing lately.

19.05.2014 06:38 Confused is offline Send an Email to Confused Search for Posts by Confused Add Confused to your Buddy List

Eh? This error again? I reported it in bugs report few weeks ago.. It went away after some time.. Maybe we should pause the galaxy till everyone has their governors up?

19.05.2014 06:39 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Walnut [Batched Ticks] Galaxy Signup

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH