Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Into the Sea Galaxy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Into the Sea Galaxy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

Into the Sea Galaxy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is going to be a very short galaxy for me.

Sent colony ships to the 4 closest systems to my home and found that the two closest to me were two other players home systems.

Then in the third closest system I found another player had already landed a colony.

So by turn 16 I have already been screwed for expansion space once again.

WHY cannot these be set up in such a way that the distribution of players starting positions CANNOT be next door to each other because this way is a total waste of time.
08.06.2014 05:45 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List
raf7 Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 14.05.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The thing that you describe as a horribly game screwing thing, it is actually a galaxy feature, definable during its creation, and it is called player/system density. In the case of the Into the Sea Galaxy, this is set as 3:1, which means that if all seats are taken, the average amount of systems per player is 3. Since there are 17 players inside (for 18 seats), this amount is aprox 3.176, and since systems have 5-7 planets, this makes it an average of aprox 19 planets per player. So, assuming each player colonizes his HQ, he will then have an average of 2.176 systems worth of planets to colonize.

Except for how many seats will precisely be taken, this, Multi, can be well known before the galaxy starts, readily visible in its main description. As I told you before, since you are particulary frustrated by small spaces to colonize, you should stay out of galaxies where that possibility exists, as it is the case of this one. I have heard some players expressing their dislike in having too many planets to colonize, and those should avoid galaxies where there is a lot of space and systems to colonize. Both types of galaxies should exist, and will keep being created, and it is up to each player to decide which ones to join.

Furthermore, for what is worth, this galaxy was carefully configurated by me, as a sequel to the Little Fish Galaxy, with the intent of providing a fun game for all participants. My best wishes for it to be so have been silently sent, as my hands were too busy elsewhere to write them. I got them free enough now, so, have a good fun game everybody, and beware of sharks! Wink

08.06.2014 13:17 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

Thread Starter Thread Started by Multiglow
Really Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really could not care less about what was supposed to happen regarding player density.

The FACT that there are 3 players here who have another player's HQ as the closest system to them, disadvantages ALL three players.

It also gives a HUGE advantage to other players who are going to be able to colonize MANY extra planets before they encounter other players.
08.06.2014 14:44 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

RE: Really Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The odds should be that if you meet 2 players right next to you in one direction.. Then you should have more space towards the other direction perhaps? Guess you'd need to scout the other way.. Or upward or downward? It's 3d after all.. There should be quite a lot of directions to explore in.. Unless when you get stuck in a corner of the galaxy .. Like I have gotten the last few galaxies :p

08.06.2014 15:19 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
raf7 Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 14.05.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Multiglow
I really could not care less about what was supposed to happen regarding player density.

You should care... Smile

Because I cared enough to write you an answer, again. Again, yes, because you are yet again bringing up this situation with the same tone as before, and I am again doing my best to clarify the situation, and help you.

quote:

The FACT that there are 3 players here who have another player's HQ as the closest system to them, disadvantages ALL three players. It also gives a HUGE advantage to other players who are going to be able to colonize MANY extra planets before they encounter other players.

As a player, I can tell you you are wrong in your affirmation, and having a limited perspective of the situation. I can assure you that the circumstances you describe are not a disadvantage per se, and can be overcome in more than one way.

What you describe is a random condition. Random conditions are an essential part of the game, and dealing with circumstances that result from them is also a part of the game. Furthermore, in my opinion, the game is well configured it its random aspects, namely in the aspects that you describe.

08.06.2014 15:26 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Nekoj Player-Rank: 3
Scouts his own Systems

Registration Date: 17.02.2009

RE: Really Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That happened to me in a recent game. So i rushed troops ships and took some planets before turrets would have been researched or built. It did allow for some planets gains, and I was in the game at the start.

Perhaps, in stead of giving up, at least try a very early assault?

I understand it may not be the game you wanted, but have fun trying something unexpected.
09.06.2014 01:44 Nekoj is offline Send an Email to Nekoj Search for Posts by Nekoj Add Nekoj to your Buddy List
bartosz1983 Player-Rank: 3 bartosz1983 is a male
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-701.jpg

Registration Date: 25.11.2009

Omega diaries Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

INTRO
I was Omega Federation.
“Starting in the crowd” - two closest stars - HQs of the others. Early contact was the key. First contact was Ruger, the second one King Neptun(Multiglow?). After signing Peace and later M.A. we cooperated and decided how to split remaining planets among us (more me and Ruger, Neptun was less active).
START
Small amount of planets no crystal available, not to mention exo, I rushed towards Corvettes on grav drives (abundance of radio lack of crystal). While King Neptun and Ruger started early fights vs elgicus and Zoologique I had to wait for techs and ships, but finally I got them, and I got my first target –Cybreed. He and his crystal planet ware blooming on the horizon with the promise of riches and fame. Another huge benefit for the future from this war - an ally (at the moment of meeting we just had the common interests – feeding on Cybreed, so as gentleman to gentlemen we divided some of his reaming planets). After short period of war and conquest I could settle for a while and focus on research and plotting. I was observing carefully High score and was chatting with others. My allies ware ok if I stay away from their war. So I stayed away and chat with others gaining some information (i.e. who is with who and who is thinking what -ideally matching to my cloak and dagger game play).
MID
At this point there were only two serious players (and the ¾ of galaxy still with chances to win). Presumptous(Pres) and The Ghost of Creuss(Ghost). Pres was closer- thus he was bigger potential threat than Ghost, I checked his fleet (heavy ships) , so I prepared to fight him and was waiting for the right time. This came rather sooner than later, he attacked my old gentleman friend kroma. So I jumped in causing some chaos at Pres’ backyard – his HQ (IMHO one of the key moments in the history of this gala). Just a few turns later my old trusty ally Ruger have joined our war. So this is how we formed our block. War was long - Pres was worthy enemy, fighting back nicely. As we couldn’t find enough firepower to face his fleet the only way was ‘the scorched earth’ strategy. Each time we had an advantage he was resistant enough to respond, but everyone knew the end of this story the only question was when will this happen. While we were busy in our blows and dodges - Ghost and eligcus were growing and growing. The Ghost on 0 rep investing huge amount of time and resources into tech, and elgicus by taking inactive King Neptuns’ land. As I mentioned we all knew how the story (with Pres) will end, and we were dead wrong! Yeah we have won, yeah Pres surrendered, but in recognition of his bravery we didn’t finished him off, but we took him aboard, which was great move as his fleet was growing stronger and stronger, and truly that was the last bell to address new emerging powers in gala(Ghost and elgicus). So from now on it was four of us fighting together on equal terms and rights.
LATE
The Ghost, elgicus, and later The Jerk(dropped in for a fraction of second only) vs Myself, Ruger, Kroma and Presumptous (all of us heavily damaged after long lasting war). First we focused The Ghost , trying to kill of his economy, hoping that he won’t be able to upkeep his enormous heavy fleet(highly advanced as well). After initial success in The Ghost land we decided to split, While guys rushed towards elgicus’ land ( who was #1 in the high score at this time) I stayed at Ghost(he was still #2) land using my cloaked fleet retaking everything what was retaken and then retaking it back again and again. I was also still chatting with others, smaller guys (beaten up by Ghost maybe?) and quite a big fish- Magisterium. I wanted to drag them into getting everything from our enemies in the sector, and to get them some fun and action as well. Diplomatic efforts with non-alliance Emperors got us some advantage, Magisterium started war against Zooligique( we were speculating that Zoo is providing our enemies with cash). Also two others were curious about the political changes in the region and maybe eager to participate in some action? Unfortunately they didn’t manage to pick up any fights though and all ended on dialogue only.

THE END
Everything went according to the plan. Guys raided deep inside elgicius land wreaking havoc, I kept riding Ghost land killing off his troops and economy slowly. Suddenly enemy ships started to disappear, a clear sign that our enemies are in deep economic crisis. Last touch; killing off remaining ships, conquering defenseless planets.
The gala was great from my perspective, very equal in scores , great plays all. Nice team play:
- kroma thanks for ca$h during the ‘Great Depression’ of 400s, after the ‘Great Presumptous War’,
- Ruger our veteran, an experienced player (in some way unofficial leader of our block maybe?).
- Presumputs great plays and nice diplomatic effort with surrender/joining winning side, that kind of decision really measures a true leader.
10.07.2014 11:28 bartosz1983 is offline Send an Email to bartosz1983 Search for Posts by bartosz1983 Add bartosz1983 to your Buddy List
Ruger Player-Rank: 3 Ruger is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1130.jpg

Registration Date: 23.03.2008

Great outline of events.

It was a fun Galaxy to play. And I must say as far as my play goes it was just ok. I did very poorly in tech this game. Never build a ship with anti-matter drives or better. The only thing I had going for me was my defense and the fact that my team worked well together.

Multi got into some trouble with Elgicus early and couldn't recover. at the time I was not ready for the fight and would have lost my fleet when he did. Sorry about that. Could not be helped. Elgicus continued to take his planets and he went inactive.

I saw Omega fighting with Pres and was starting to loose a little ground I wanted to step in and help. Pres put up a great fight and hada great fleet, we were just able to out maneuver him in key area that resulted in Surrender and then Inclusion in the fight against Elgicus and Ghost who were starting to build battleships.

I trook a look at both and realized they had put all their eggs into one basket and that was Battleship tech, and had they been left alone for much longer would have walked away with the Galaxy pretty easy.

Their actual downfall was the total lack of any kind of defense. Very minimal troops on planets. There was really no challenge taking planets. We were able to split up and take entire systems in 2 turns may times. Both Ghost and Elgicus were that way.

One thing people will learn from this Galaxy is that no matter how good your ships are, if you have no defense you will loose all your planets pretty quickly.
10.07.2014 17:46 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

RE: Omega diaries Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounded fun hehe.. You guys want a new galaxy? Maybe post in the schedule of ranked galaxies what galaxy you'd prefer next?

11.07.2014 02:50 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Into the Sea Galaxy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH