Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » Governors » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Governors
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Joaftmon Player-Rank: 2
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-1068.jpg

Registration Date: 12.08.2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by xmer

And first full banking planets should start banking,
then secondary bankers should turn on and help,
then non-important planets should join,
and at end Important planets(like main production) should join.

A question is: How to recognize automatically each type of planets?

@Percentage: by setting percentage you will know when your empire will run out of money.
For example:
if Treasury Surplus is lower than -10% of Empire treasury then you will run out of money in less than 10 turns.
(it's same as Empire is low on money)
if Treasury Surplus is lower than -20% of Empire treasury then you will run out of money in less than 5 turns.

Well... things that I do, as a rookie, and therefore would like my governors to consider:

-For my peace of mind, is safer to have fixed numbers rather than percentages, since as a rookie I´m never sure if 30 or 50 turns from now my expenses are gonna increase (usual case, when I upgrade my banking worlds and they stop giving me creds); therefore, I like to have a rather large financial cushion.

That´s why I´d rather set my alarms as "Treasury Lower than 50k" or 100k or 200k, or whatever number I intuitively guesstimate as breing "safe", which is usually 20 or 30 turns (because unranked galaxies go at 1 turn per hour)

-In addition to that, in order to distinguish between full banking, secondary banks, etc. what works best for me (and IMHO, perhaps also for other rookies) is to have different governors, with different lower limits, rather than one guy doing all the work.

Of course, if I want to fine-tune said limits, I need to modify all the Govs.. but for the reasons stated above (peace of mind and good sleep! Smile ), I find it preferrable to a Single Overlooking Gov that distinguishes one world from the other; having several guys makes it easier (for me) to test, and helps avoiding some code screw-up.

So, what I´ve noticed that works for me (as in: does the job, and it´s clear enough so I can trust´em) is to have:

>>> A full banking Gov, churning creds full-time

>>> The Mining Gov, who will check if Treasury is a bit low (and then try to make Empire Wide Income per Turn equal zero), or too low (and then it´s all Bankers)

>>> The Prod Gov, who will check if Treasury is a bit low (and then try to make Planetary Income per Turn equal zero), or too low (and then it´s bankers or wealth, depending on output). In this case, I like the Planetary Income because I can test it beforehand, and now more or less how much production i have left.

As said above, the "bit low" and "too low" limits I´d rather set manually based on guesstimations, and use integers rather than percentages; from the point of view of coding, I´m sure there are better methods, but for operation I´d rather have them all separated and be sure my Govs are not gonna do so major screw-up while I´m looking away, sort to speak.
11.10.2011 13:08 Joaftmon is offline Send an Email to Joaftmon Search for Posts by Joaftmon Add Joaftmon to your Buddy List
xmer Player-Rank: 2
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-752.gif

Registration Date: 25.01.2010

Thread Starter Thread Started by xmer
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

keeping income balance at 0 is fine for single-player approach.

In TG Fleet players are often quite a lot on plus or on minus depending on treaties. And as long as situation is not yet emergency then there's no need to bank at any planet.
On the other hand especially in advanced stage of galaxy turning your whole empire into banking might not be enough to pay upkeep.(That's why i prefer to have 6 treaties 60turn length signed every 10 turns than one big)

Govs can run each other to avoid probability of mistakes in code.
Main Governors run either:
Governor Check - Gold 10 turns
Governor Check - Gold 5 turns
Governor Check - Gold 3 turns

And each of this govs have percentage based conditions. If that condition is met then they run Governor Check - Gold Base that decide how planet should produce gold, and produce it.

But it's getting a little to complicated.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by xmer: 11.10.2011 13:29.

11.10.2011 13:24 xmer is offline Send an Email to xmer Search for Posts by xmer Add xmer to your Buddy List
Joaftmon Player-Rank: 2
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-1068.jpg

Registration Date: 12.08.2011

quote:
keeping income balance at 0 is fine for single-player approach.

Aye, yup; I was referring only to single-player govs (bcause, IMHO, most of us rookies that may be interested in your govs are gonna be playing in that mode)
11.10.2011 13:31 Joaftmon is offline Send an Email to Joaftmon Search for Posts by Joaftmon Add Joaftmon to your Buddy List
xmer Player-Rank: 2
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-752.gif

Registration Date: 25.01.2010

Thread Starter Thread Started by xmer

There's also a lot of players that are not rookie anymore, but have a good use of this govs (or they should have).

11.10.2011 14:35 xmer is offline Send an Email to xmer Search for Posts by xmer Add xmer to your Buddy List
darthblade Player-Rank: 2 darthblade is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

images/avatars/avatar-1052.jpg

Registration Date: 23.06.2010

quote:
I had situation 17190/17200 and rule

While Production Progress is higher than 99%
Convert a Citizen to a Farmer

didn't turned citizens to farmers.
So looks like I had some other flaw, or i miscalculated sth.

edit: checked 35199/35200 and still workers didn't change to farmers.

It's because of a bug I think, If the "convert a citizen to ..." rule is e... under a condition(?), than only the newest citizen changes type (if You get one next turn). It has to be single-standing or specific. The following works 100%

If Population Growth Progress is lower than 100%
         and If Production Progress is higher than 99%
-Hurry Current Production
-Convert all Workers to Farmers

10.11.2011 18:38 darthblade is offline Send an Email to darthblade Homepage of darthblade Search for Posts by darthblade Add darthblade to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

This is embarassing to admit.. but I never really opened every file that xmer wrote (only read MG and one other).. and yet.. my name is credited in his first post..

The only contribution I've made is to accidentally press spacebar or something on the Check Build governor earlier, and it recorded that it was last modified like 5 minutes ago.. oops

But anyway, here's how I manage my empire's money..
for regular banking planets - well I just leave them as they are normally
for secondary and emergency banking planets - I use something like

If Empire Wide Treasury is lower than 5000
AND If this is specific planet <-- secondary planets chosen here
Convert citizens to bankers

If Empire Wide Treasury is lower than 3000
AND If this is specific planet <-- emergency planets chosen here
Convert citizens to bankers

Of course 5000 and 3000 needs to be adjusted as the entire empire (or the players you're supporting) grows.. and I normally just put it about 3-4 turns worth of deficits..

Seemed to work for me when I went on vacation for a week in Dark Crusade

P.S. I get screwed if someone happens to attack and conquer my emergency banking planets though.. lol.. so if i know that might happen.. might need to store up more money first.. heh..

15.02.2012 20:22 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

Another gov that I like to use, goes something like

If current turn is xxx
Run Gov-MG
Assign Gov-MG

It's a temporary governor that I use to override my MG governors.. so if it's currently turn 100 now.. I would set xxx to 101 if I just want to turn off my MG for one turn to do whatever it is I need with my planet..

Sometimes I add in a Hurry Current Production before Run Gov..
or I modify it to help store up production before I switch to another kind of production.. something that goes like

<e.g. used when it's turn 100, I can only build a colony ship in 2 turns and not any quicker>
If current turn is 101
Build HE transmitter <-- //or some other building that has been researched and takes long to build, which ermm.. sometimes is not available unfortunately//
Convert citizens to workers

If current turn is 102
Build Colony Ship
Run Gov-MG
Assign Gov-MG

//That way.. if I use the governor to build HE transmitter, it can be overriden later (as opposed to manually building it myself);

and the main reason I do this is so that I keep my resources available till turn 102 while having my workers start on the ship straight away.. (kinda flawed in reality really.. "Guys.. build that colony ship but pretend you're building a HE transmitter that doesn't use the minerals")

15.02.2012 20:31 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
zoot Player-Rank: 3 zoot is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

images/avatars/avatar-276.gif

Registration Date: 02.09.2007

RE: Governors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just bumping up and old thread and saying cheers. Using your govs now.
28.07.2012 07:22 zoot is offline Send an Email to zoot Homepage of zoot Search for Posts by zoot Add zoot to your Buddy List
Himhimhim7 Himhimhim7 is a male
Wonders where that new Farmer came from

Registration Date: 29.12.2013

Confused :/ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I dont know how to get a govorner
30.12.2013 17:22 Himhimhim7 is offline Send an Email to Himhimhim7 Search for Posts by Himhimhim7 Add Himhimhim7 to your Buddy List
Confused Player-Rank: 3 Confused is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Registration Date: 14.07.2009

Re: :/ Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Himhimhim7
I dont know how to get a govorner

When looking at your planet screen, hover mouse over the black area with the name of the planet, then right-click your mouse and select 'governor'. From there on out it's a matter of programming them right - which has been explained in much detail by people much better at that stuff somewhere else Smile

30.12.2013 19:05 Confused is offline Send an Email to Confused Search for Posts by Confused Add Confused to your Buddy List
tmog66 Player-Rank: 2 tmog66 is a male
Arms Farmers, and Farms Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1235.jpg

Registration Date: 16.04.2010

Also posting in an old thread. Was looking for a way to prioritize emergency banking and emergency resource gathering. I think that percentage until economic collapse based on secondary and emergency planet name is close enough. thanks!

If I had my way, I would run governors on specific planets first, but I guess they just go numerically or something?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tmog66: 25.09.2014 08:55.

25.09.2014 08:55 tmog66 is offline Send an Email to tmog66 Homepage of tmog66 Search for Posts by tmog66 Add tmog66 to your Buddy List

I do something like

If number of military camps more than 1.. And empire treasury less than 10k.. Convert to bankers (I like to let my breeder planets bank first)

If number of factories less than 6 k .. And empire treasury less than 6k.. Convert to bankers (excludes my shipyards from banking)

If treasury below 2k.. Convert to bankers.. For last resort banking..

Of course doesn't take into account if piling up wealth might be better.. And I would need to adjust the threshold values once in a while

25.09.2014 10:03 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

Not sure if I mentioned this in this sticky thread before, but default governors can be found here

19.07.2015 09:05 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » Governors

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH