Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » War-only galaxies » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page War-only galaxies
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Erwin [CS]
RE: reputation hits Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by pommiebastard
Why is this function, the how much reputation you will loose if you attack someone, is not working on the diplomacy information? I would not have taken a stupid planet if I knew it would ruin my game.

Since the rep-loss was caused by a bug in the program-code, I have restored the players reputation to +2.0 ... which is almost the value it was before - unfortunately the tool to set reputation only allows integer values. An oversight on my part. But hey, at least I fixed the actual reputation bug! One step at a time Wink
10.12.2016 20:30 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
pommiebastard Player-Rank: 3 pommiebastard is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

images/avatars/avatar-1246.jpg

Registration Date: 14.02.2014

Wow Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Whingeing actually works! (don't tell my kids please, I'm still trying to convince them it doesn't work). thanks for the restoration, Now it will be so much easier to........ well play at least.

Thanks Erwin for the reset and the correction so now if I screw up my reputation then I can only blame my greed or stupidity(both are often side by side in my mind)

10.12.2016 20:53 pommiebastard is offline Send an Email to pommiebastard Search for Posts by pommiebastard Add pommiebastard to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Erwin [CS]
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You didn't whinge. You correctly pointed out a bug, that no-one actually really noticed before... (I wonder why?)

So to translate that into the real world (with kids and all), if THEY point out a bug or flaw in the system, they have a right that it'd be taken care of as well Wink
10.12.2016 21:06 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I did notice it before (in the oct game) but just keep silent about it as I just thought it was the way the game was.

In the end I decided that it adversely effected my productivity enough that in that game, an equally sized civ with light ships could still produce more ships (and game value) then me or maybe just enough money to support a more valuable fleet.

This time I just decided that I would say something after I understood how big the effect was.

As for kids and bugs it all depends on what a bug is now doesn't it. when she wastes a bunch of money on what ever and buys a bad car should I fix the car when it falls apart? I don't think so. if she cant learn by advice (what young adult seems to want to do that?) then experience seems to be the best teacher. Well Now I am totally Whingeing about unrelated stuff. Ha Ha

10.12.2016 21:38 pommiebastard is offline Send an Email to pommiebastard Search for Posts by pommiebastard Add pommiebastard to your Buddy List
mizzihood Player-Rank: 4 mizzihood is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1137.gif

Registration Date: 04.10.2009

One of the problem here was, as war_cross pointed out in the other thread, is that defensive admirals were very dangerous to use.
10.12.2016 21:46 mizzihood is offline Send an Email to mizzihood Homepage of mizzihood Search for Posts by mizzihood Add mizzihood to your Buddy List
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1303.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

OCT. What we learned ? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We learned in the October war-only galaxy that there was a bug in the reputation readout which Erwin has fixed for us.
We also learned that the 50% reduction strength of hyperspace energy may have helped. The end game battles came to a halt because PD was so high. Also not having enough exotics planets made it impossible to build enough powerful bombers. This problem has been solved for future games as Erwin has also adjusted the algorithm to spawn more exotics planets in future galaxies.
15.12.2016 15:52 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

RE: OCT. What we learned ? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
We also learned that the 50% reduction strength of hyperspace energy may have helped. The end game battles came to a halt because PD was so high.

I am going to make a point to disagree with you everytime I see this. The large planet sizes were/are the problem, not hyperspace strength. Every planet is a powerhouse with tons of space. Let's stop making the small planets feel bad, they're all beautiful no matter their size.

quote:
Originally posted by Pääsuke
now exo has low value, same like rads basicaly now. i value rads even better.

There is something like 3 rad planets for every exotic so this seems like an overstatement.

-Erwin [CS]
15.12.2016 16:29 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

uncountednose Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yes I understand you prefer smaller planets. That's why changed the settings in one of the double-play galaxies for you. Keep in mind that a lot of players like larger planets. You can please some of the people sometimes but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
15.12.2016 16:55 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

not a preference, large planets are fun. they are unbalanced, thats the problem.

-Erwin [CS]
15.12.2016 17:45 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
mizzihood Player-Rank: 4 mizzihood is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1137.gif

Registration Date: 04.10.2009

Yeah exactly, uncountednose. This obsession with 40-70 sized planets is bad. And the super home planets as well. You lose your home planets => you're dead.

In my opinion what we should have is planets, ~20% richer (maybe only on the lower end - 25 food/proc/sci is just a drag) than the default but with the same size. Then HS will be just fine.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mizzihood: 15.12.2016 20:16.

15.12.2016 20:13 mizzihood is offline Send an Email to mizzihood Homepage of mizzihood Search for Posts by mizzihood Add mizzihood to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

mizzihood Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Like I said ... someone can post diplomacy galaxies with small planets for you in the future for those who like the old style galaxies. I don't think it will be the preffered choice for most players.
15.12.2016 20:29 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

RE: mizzihood Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can take or leave the diplomacy. While I think removing it takes a little depth from the game it does not unbalance it. These large planets do. I have on multiple occasions told you why but one more go.

Everything was built around the planets being a certain size. When you more than double the average size of planets it's gonna have an effect. You no longer have to decide if this planet will be productive or be well defended it can be both. When you start throwing multipliers like HE in the differences get extreme and the system breaks so you end up gimping HE with some number you pulled out of our butt instead of just making the system healthy again. HE is only the worst example the big planets encourage turtling by their very size alone. Why look to expand when what you have is so good? In super rich galaxies such as the 400 turn galaxy it makes more sense to build production planets then have them building wealth than it is to have banking planets. You make way more money per turn and since you have so many workers with such a high base production even that 12th autofactory gets done in a turn or two. That is not how the game was designed, making that 12th autofactory used to be a hard choice that could take 50+ turns to pay off. Also you essentially make a whole building(banks) useless. I am using banks in the 400 turn galaxy because I didn't know but not next time.

Bring back the hard choices, large planets encourage a complacent play style

-Erwin [CS]

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by uncountednose: 15.12.2016 22:38.

15.12.2016 22:37 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

Actually while I absolutely love large planets, it might be fun to set up a galaxy with planet sizes of 15-20 only.

That would really force everyone to decide how to best use them.

A side effect would be that we would have some great small ship battles as I think Frigs would be about the largest ship built with those sises.

One other factor in this set up would be luck as the system would also generate a very small number of much larger planets in the 35-45 size range that would give anyone who got one a huge advantage.
15.12.2016 22:46 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List

I like them too but they unbalance and the resources simply don't exist to rebalance the game around large planets. Sometimes its fun to play a boardgame at home with house rules. These rules almost always unbalance the game but they are still fun.

Yes the re emergence of super planets would be interesting. An actual objective

-Erwin [CS]
15.12.2016 22:54 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Multi Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think it could work out fine as long as you had the same number of planets per system. because of the small number of large planets, having less big planets in your home system would be disaster for someone.
15.12.2016 23:05 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

we played a small planetoid galaxy way back in 2013 (april fools game) , It was my second ranked game and I liked it just fine. it was fun and well I got 2nd which made my moment at the time. I remember that we had plenty of large ships and fairly large fleets too.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pommiebastard: 16.12.2016 00:58.

16.12.2016 00:56 pommiebastard is offline Send an Email to pommiebastard Search for Posts by pommiebastard Add pommiebastard to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

Yeah.. I haven't seen a superplanet till the speed galaxy I had with mizzi few days ago.. I still like that excitement of finding a super planet among a desert of average planets

16.12.2016 04:00 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

April fools Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So the most important feature of this game is to have a lot of virtually useless planets with some monster planets mixed in. It sounds awesome. However so the game remains strategy strength and not pure lock, Have the same number of planets in every system and also set the juicy planets to one number less then that. Set the juicy population size and resources to anything you want. I would think a medium size would be nice to get some resources to build colony ships. Of courses the reason for all this is to make sure everyone gets an equal start.
17.12.2016 03:32 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

RE: April fools Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
So the most important feature of this game is to have a lot of virtually useless planets with some monster planets mixed in. It sounds awesome. However so the game remains strategy strength and not pure lock, Have the same number of planets in every system and also set the juicy planets to one number less then that. Set the juicy population size and resources to anything you want. I would think a medium size would be nice to get some resources to build colony ships. Of courses the reason for all this is to make sure everyone gets an equal start.

The only way to get an almost equal start (# of planets) for all player is to have all systems contain the same number of planets.

While that will give all players the same # of planets and juices in their home system, someone might get really lucky and get an Exo and or Crystal.

I have only seen the "Super Planet" feature occur in galaxies with small planets as the norm. Basically if you have the max planet size set to 25 or so, you may get a couple that are sized 45-60.

No idea why it happens though.
17.12.2016 17:18 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » War-only galaxies

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH