Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » New Players. Read This » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New Players. Read This
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1326.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

Thread Starter Thread Started by War_Cross
RE: Real Life galaxies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't see why only people who are not working or have a job where they can goof off and play games all day should be the only players we are trying to attract. That's the reason for the 4 hour tic newbie galaxies.
06.02.2018 18:11 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Alfa Player-Rank: 1
Serves Soup on Colony Shuttles

Registration Date: 11.12.2017

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For newbies can offer sometimes 4h --- since maybe there are types who like longer turns. Have to test various games.
Make sure you give 4h newbie galaxies more colony ships, too - so they get the feeling there is "something to do" early.

If it would be up to me, I'd play only 6h++ games. But it is me. Alone can't play these. Big Grin

With 4h still too much time goes on playing + sleep is bad. Micro managers thing.
I try as much I try, still miss turns - and then wake up with bad feelings: "Did WC attack me?", "How many production points went now waste?", "Hopefully ships were not shot down" and so on.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Alfa: 06.02.2018 18:54.

06.02.2018 18:49 Alfa is offline Send an Email to Alfa Search for Posts by Alfa Add Alfa to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

RE: Real Life galaxies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
I don't see why only people who are not working or have a job where they can goof off and play games all day should be the only players we are trying to attract. That's the reason for the 4 hour tic newbie galaxies.

I have nothing against 4 hour tick galaxies. If you think it will bring in new players, go for it.
Just because I prefer faster ticks, doesn't mean everyone does. This is one of the reasons batch ticks was created. It levels the playing field between players who can log in every turn and players who can only log in once or twice a day.

Yes I know a batch tick galaxy may be to much for a new player.
06.02.2018 18:53 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Get me the galaxy generator tools and I show you how to get and keep newbies. Big Grin
07.02.2018 08:34 Alfa is offline Send an Email to Alfa Search for Posts by Alfa Add Alfa to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

New Players read this Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Always read the settings before joining a galaxy. After playing a few games you will come to understand what effects they have on game play.

At the start colonize as quickly as you can. Then build a few turrets and scouts to find planets that are not colonized and to spy on and locate enemy planets. Then build a few fighters to protect your most important planets and build facilities.

As always you can post your questions here and someone will answer them for you. You can also send me a private message and I will help you. If there is an experienced player in the galaxy you are playing you can ask them questions with in game messaging.
There are many types of galaxies played here at CS, but not all information about game play can be found in the Manual. There are 2 basic types ( diplomacy or war-only) with a few different flavors like batched or team galaxies. The manual covers basic functions but does not cover game play for all.

In diplomacy galaxies where you can acquire allies you have more options. You can combine allied fleets, trade resources, gold, galaxy maps. You basically want to be in the biggest most powerful alliance in the galaxy.

War only galaxies are different in that you are at war with everyone and no alliances are allowed (verbal peace treaties can be made). You are not allowed to make plans with another player to attack a third. In war-only galaxies you will win or lose using only your strategies and strengths. You can always ask the galaxy creator questions about game play.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 07.02.2018 21:20.

07.02.2018 21:16 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

Good post.

I understand your helpful mission, but.
I don't agree with your "private message me".
- This may have future impact in games on other players. Since you get "friends", others not. There are many other helpful players here, more, too.
So correct would be: "private message players: and list of players, who are active much and who have no problems to help newbies + these, who you see online on forums (+ chatroom is unused resource)". I can help newbies too, also some others - correct would be to start discussion about that and edit that post, so newbies can choose themselves, from who they ask questions. Hopefully Erwin does the forum remake one day - then things go more neat.

Forums > Private messages.
Since others don't see, what kind of stories you (we) tell to new players + do you (we) teach them right.

+ We have CS facebook group

About diplomacy game and alliances -- there is not good idea to get players have "biggest alliance", since there has to be some balance else game goes pointless. You should mention the code of balance, that newbies don't collect majority to alliance, else they have nobody to compete with.

Colonizing is not always first goal to start dealing with. Depending on set ups and galaxies. For example - I get some basic sciences ready, first - university is A task, so that scientists will be more effective. Distant galaxies I don't colonize with slowest engines. I better invest early turns on science, to get better speed for ships.
Better is to say: "start colonizing early, don't be late!".
Turrets and stuff - are not recommended early neither. It is situational. When you see enemy ship (check Recon tab in game every turn, in case you will miss the enemy ships on map), build turret. Or when you go away from computer and probably will might miss turns - build turrets in case.

The thing is. Instead building turret in x turn, maybe it would be better to build something else, since only one construction can get ready at planet at once. In early game that simple 1 turn (low 400 prod points are much in early game and/or in small planet) may give very big advantage in some other area. Farms and factories are prior buildings for getting farmers/workers more effective. Building turret while it is not needed to wastes just turn and gives opponents lead. Must take risks to win the game.

And very early game ... Rarely newbies have troopers flying around. It is possible, but low chance it happens.

P.S. I see you ignored my galaxy making tools request. I ask again, once more.

What you think if I would get rights to generate galaxies?

I ask it from You, since without your support, Erwin will not start to listen me. You made from me "monster" and You have to kill the monster - telling, that we have peace and You want to see game grow and that You believe I can help much with it. I have many simple edits in mind for game. It is your decision, will this game get good "worker" or not.

This post has been edited 25 time(s), it was last edited by Alfa: 07.02.2018 23:10.

07.02.2018 22:24 Alfa is offline Send an Email to Alfa Search for Posts by Alfa Add Alfa to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

quote:
Originally posted by Alfa
Get me the galaxy generator tools and I show you how to get and keep newbies. Big Grin

The only person who can give you access to the Galaxy Generator tools is Erwin. I would suggest you ask him.
07.02.2018 23:00 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

RE: New Players read this Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

You basically want to be in the biggest most powerful alliance in the galaxy.

Inaccurate info.

07.02.2018 23:02 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

quote:
About diplomacy game and alliances -- there is not good idea to get players have "biggest alliance", since there has to be some balance else game goes pointless. You should mention the code of balance, that newbies don't collect majority to alliance, else they have nobody to compete with.

Colonizing is not always first goal to start dealing with. Depending on set ups and galaxies. For example - I get some basic sciences ready, first - university is A task, so that scientists will be more effective. Distant galaxies I don't colonize with slowest engines. I better invest early turns on science, to get better speed for ships.
Better is to say: "start colonizing early, don't be late!".
Turrets and stuff - are not recommended early neither. It is situational. When you see enemy ship (check Recon tab in game every turn, in case you will miss the enemy ships on map), build turret. Or when you go away from computer and probably will might miss turns - build turrets in case.

The thing is. Instead building turret in x turn, maybe it would be better to build something else, since only one construction can get ready at planet at once. In early game that simple 1 turn (low 400 prod points are much in early game and/or in small planet) may give very big advantage in some other area. Farms and factories are prior buildings for getting farmers/workers more effective. Building turret while it is not needed to wastes just turn and gives opponents lead. Must take risks to win the game.

And very early game ... Rarely newbies have troopers flying around. It is possible, but low chance it happens.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about the game being situational and each game is a different beast to master.

And both of you, WC and Alfa. Stop editing your posts so often. I understand correcting spelling errors or punctuation. But you both seem to be changing the whole meaning or adding content that should be in another post....And don't delete them, that is so inconsiderate.
07.02.2018 23:26 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Good idea Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Alfa makes a good point. You should wait as long as you dare to build turrets. I usually wait until I come in contact with another player and then consider how long it will take to reach my HQ and add that number to the present turn which give the turn number to build my first turret.
08.02.2018 00:06 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

RE: Good idea Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Alfa makes a good point. You should wait as long as you dare to build turrets. I usually wait until I come in contact with another player and then consider how long it will take to reach my HQ and add that number to the present turn which give the turn number to build my first turret.

Then you got to ask yourself, are Turrets the only way to go, can I drop 10-200 troops on all planets he may go to, does she have P-scan, can I intercept any incoming ships with superior fire power, Can I Wreak Havoc on any of his systems, will they sign a peace treaty (Diplomatic only)
08.02.2018 00:38 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

I play with 3 turns rule... When planet population is assigned as max possible workers (with no starvation), whatever shows 3 turns (or more) to produce to complete, I will skip it.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Alfa: 08.02.2018 01:29.

08.02.2018 01:07 Alfa is offline Send an Email to Alfa Search for Posts by Alfa Add Alfa to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

quote:
I play with 3 turns rule... Whatever shows 3 turns (or more) to produce to complete, I will skip it.

Cool Concept. In my mind that works with Farms and factories, but what happens if you get a choice between Destroyers-Cruisers-Battleships. What combination of ships with your current production bring the most firepower to the fleet in the short term vs the long term.
08.02.2018 01:38 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Later yes, have to work harder.
08.02.2018 16:39 Alfa is offline Send an Email to Alfa Search for Posts by Alfa Add Alfa to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

hey Alfa Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Are you running governors ? If not it must be difficult to micro-manage. This is why I like small galaxies.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 09.02.2018 15:09.

09.02.2018 15:08 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » New Players. Read This

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH