Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » Distance » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Distance
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1326.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

Distance Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How can you estimate ...

I am attacking a ship which is 2 turns away and crossing my path at an angle. I do a route scan and a military scan to find out it's speed so I know how far the enemy ship will move toward it's destination. But what is the angle from my ship ? I don't know.

I think it's a triangle calculation. One side of the triangle is the distance to the enemy ship and another side is the distance the enemy ship will travel in 1 turn will travel.

Will this work ? If so then what is the formula ? If not then what will work.
I am trying to calculate if I will reach the enemy ship in 1 turn. Or will it always be 2 turns.
19.05.2018 20:06 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

RE: Distance Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

please post diagram showing what you are trying to figure out.

20.05.2018 00:09 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Thread Starter Thread Started by War_Cross
RE: Distance Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have no way to post pictures. Just read it again and visualize.
20.05.2018 02:46 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
I have no way to post pictures. Just read it again and visualize.

you can't post pictures in the forum? why would that be.

I want to help you visualize it so you can solve it.

20.05.2018 05:04 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

LOL Hahahaha Your such a trouble maker.
20.05.2018 12:41 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

He has something like this, I think. Speed of both ships in this Scenario 16.1. So the question would be can the fighter intercept the Target in 1 or 2 turns

20.05.2018 17:46 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Thanks Sygor. That picture will work fine as long as we assume that the target ship will be closer at the end of the turn. My ship info says it takes 2 to intercept the target ship, but if it is moving closer then I may be able to intercept in 1 turn. Right ?

So if we scan the target ship with route scan and see it's headed to a planet and subtract 16.1 from that number it will tell us where the target ship will be at the end of turn one. Is there a way to read a certain point in space by pointing your mouse ?
20.05.2018 18:20 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Figured out the Angles, so with that it should be easy to figure out if an intercept will happen...

20.05.2018 20:47 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Nice Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks again Sygor. The only problem now is that the problem arose in the battle galaxy 2 galaxy and I don't have military scan, so I can't tell the speed of the target ship. Might come in handy someday though. Nice info to know. Smile
20.05.2018 20:54 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sygor
Figured out the Angles, so with that it should be easy to figure out if an intercept will happen...

exactly what i was looking for sygor, i was wanting war cross to put it together instead of others doing the work for him. Wink

If you can make out a right triangle with the ships and interception point, you can figure it out. a squared + b squared = c squared

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by chrisadamley: 20.05.2018 21:20.

20.05.2018 21:18 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Newbie faq Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The purpose of Newbie Faq is to ask questions. If you don't wish to answer the question, then why reply ? Let me guess ? YOU LIKE TO CAUSE PROBLEMS Mad
20.05.2018 21:36 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

When I run this all the way thru to see how far the interceptor will be from the Target after 1 turn, my math says the fighter will be 14.2 (14.157) distance away from the Target. The Test Bed says 14.3...So I'm not sure if it worked or not. It could be a rounding error or my not fully taking the 3d environment into count.

Good Brain Teaser for the day...
20.05.2018 22:10 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Sygor Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yea but you were right on top of it. You always give good replies.
It's tricky trying to nail the exact angle the target ship is moving in.

Also how much of my ship movement units are lost because of the perceived travel curve ? Or would my ship know where the target ship will end up and move toward that point in a straight line and not loose any of the 16.1 movement speed in the perceived curve ?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 21.05.2018 00:57.

20.05.2018 23:38 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Newbie FAQ » Distance

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH