Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Game Mechanics » Percentage comparison math in governors » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Percentage comparison math in governors
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
StarkRavingSage Player-Rank: 2 StarkRavingSage is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-1216.jpg

Registration Date: 06.09.2010

Percentage comparison math in governors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have my governors set to behave differently if there is something to produce.

I try to have them behave as if nothing is being produced when production progress is above 100% (i.e.: production surplus for the previous item in the queue was greater than necessary for next item in the queue).

That's simple, I just set the rules in a group that states:
If Production Progress is higher than 100%          or If currently no production

For the alternative case I could say:
If Production Progress is lower than 101%

My question is, will these overlap for 100.5% or is there rounding?

Would >99% and <100% overlap for 99.5%?
02.07.2018 18:42 StarkRavingSage is offline Send an Email to StarkRavingSage Search for Posts by StarkRavingSage Add StarkRavingSage to your Buddy List
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1326.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

RE: Percentage comparison math in governors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Smile You've got some deep thinking going on there. I think only Erwin would know if there is rounding or if fractional % is ignored. If there is rounding ... would 1/2 % round up or down randomly ? If fractional % is not ignored then I would think that a statement like ... more then, or less then 99.999 % would have a slightly more refined outcome.
03.07.2018 12:23 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by StarkRavingSage
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Decimals are not acceptable as input.

I should test it in the Test-Bed, but I haven't ever taken the time to do so in the past.
03.07.2018 14:37 StarkRavingSage is offline Send an Email to StarkRavingSage Search for Posts by StarkRavingSage Add StarkRavingSage to your Buddy List
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1326.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

Decimals are not acceptable as input. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh ... if decimals are not acceptable as input then you can't use 99.5 % anyway. Wink
03.07.2018 17:07 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

RE: Percentage comparison math in governors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by StarkRavingSage

For the alternative case I could say:
If Production Progress is lower than 101%

Maybe i am not fully understanding. Why can't you have the alternative case be If production progress is lower than 100%?

If you have it lower than 101%, then something could be at 100% and it wont switch.

I think you should make them behave that if something is at 100% or over, then it will behave as if nothing is being produced.

So it would be

If production progress is Higher than 99% or if currently no producion

If production progress is lower than 100%

I think That will do what you want. If you are worried it will switch away from production if something is at 99.5% then you could also do it this following way will work for sure, just run a duplicate rule to cover both scenarios. Just run one equal to 100% then it will switch, and run one saying if its over 100% it will do the same thing you wanted.

Example:

While Production Progress is lower than 100%
     Convert a Citizen to a Worker

While Production Progress is equal to 100%
     Convert a Citizen to a Banker

While Production Progress is higher than 100%
     Convert a Citizen to a Banker

05.07.2018 20:21 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by StarkRavingSage
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Right, but I don't want to repeat rules if I can avoid it. If I knew how the math works I could make better decisions.
05.07.2018 20:35 StarkRavingSage is offline Send an Email to StarkRavingSage Search for Posts by StarkRavingSage Add StarkRavingSage to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

quote:
Originally posted by StarkRavingSage
Right, but I don't want to repeat rules if I can avoid it. If I knew how the math works I could make better decisions.

Then the first way i stated would work just fine.

Run:

If production progress is higher than 99% or if currently no production (then go to whatever you want)

after that run:

If production progress is lower than 100% (keeps on building)

If you run in that order, it will never get stuck. If it happens to calculate 99.5%, then the next rule will switch it back to production. If its 100% or over, than it will switch to what you set it to.

05.07.2018 20:45 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Game Mechanics » Percentage comparison math in governors

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH