Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Game Mechanics » Keeping new players happy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Keeping new players happy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1328.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

Keeping new players happy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

CS is easy to learn and hard to master. Because of that and because we are not running specific rank marked galaxies (due to lack of active players) the newly joined players are playing with experienced players who easily crush their hopes.

For the sake of good sportsmanship and fair play I think we should add this rule.
After turn 100 you are not allowed to attack empires that are more then 1 digit below you on the score list.

Example: If you are in 4th place in a 9 player game, you can attack the 5th place player but not the 6th, 7th, 8th or last place player. You can of course always attack empires higher on the score list. This would prevent bottom feeding and give the less experienced players a chance to survive. If a defensive admiral shoots down a scout from a lower ranked empire it will be deemed collateral damage.

I think I will add this rule to the next real life battle galaxy but would like your input.
Thanks
PS: It should be noted that being able to attack down 2 digits on the score list would be better, because if scores are reasonably close, the empire just below you might not suffer enough damage from your attacks and can still pose a threat to your empire.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 19.08.2018 18:18.

19.08.2018 17:56 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

RE: Keeping new players happy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I assume this is for War only Galaxies. Cause diplomatic galaxies already have the Rep system in place to make a high score player think twice about attacking a lower score player.
19.08.2018 19:42 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by War_Cross
RE: Keeping new players happy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes ... However the reputation penalty in diplomacy galaxies is extremely flawed also. Experienced players Know that there is only a reputation hit for the first attack. So while the scores are close in the early game it can be profitable to take all of the new player planets knowing there is no penalty after the first significant battle.
If new code could be written (I wish) using my idea above, their would be no rep. hit for attacking an empire that is only 1 or 2 steps below you but a large rep hit for attacking smaller empires planets 3 or 4 steps below you. And it would not be a first significant battle thing. You would suffer a rep hit for every attack of his planets. I don't think there should be any penalty for attacking smaller empire ships at all.
19.08.2018 20:34 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
Yes ... However the reputation penalty in diplomacy galaxies is extremely flawed also. Experienced players Know that there is only a reputation hit for the first attack. So while the scores are close in the early game it can be profitable to take all of the new player planets knowing there is no penalty after the first significant battle.
If new code could be written (I wish) using my idea above, their would be no rep. hit for attacking an empire that is only 1 or 2 steps below you but a large rep hit for attacking smaller empires planets 3 or 4 steps below you. And it would not be a first significant battle thing. You would suffer a rep hit for every attack of his planets. I don't think there should be any penalty for attacking smaller empire ships at all.

At times I think you come up with ideas (some good, some not so good) that will work for you and not the greater player base.

How do I know who a new player is? Can't tell by the name.
How do I know the low scoring player isn't banking his research? and waiting/wanting to be attacked.

Just saying there is more to the game then what you see on the surface and diplomacy should be a part of it. Not saying the current diplomacy system is perfect, but it does give players a chance to negotiate and have a say in their own fate.
19.08.2018 21:18 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Sygor

At times I think you come up with ideas (some good, some not so good) that will work for you and not the greater player base.

How do I know who a new player is? Can't tell by the name.
How do I know the low scoring player isn't banking his research? and waiting/wanting to be attacked.

Just saying there is more to the game then what you see on the surface and diplomacy should be a part of it. Not saying the current diplomacy system is perfect, but it does give players a chance to negotiate and have a say in their own fate.

Not all my ideas are possible, but lend themselves to possibilities.
You don't need to know who the new players are, only that their scores are low. Banking research does not lead to victory because your not using the researched choices to help you grow your empire. Diplomacy also allows gang-banging. New players need to learn how to win. Not how to hire a protector. 2 or 3 empire fleets can combine and crush the life out of newbies before they can blossom.
19.08.2018 22:56 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

I would like to refine my idea ...
Because players will be fighting over planets during the colonizing phase, It will be allowable to conquer planets from smaller empires during the first 100 turns, but you cannot attack any planets in anyone's HQ system during that time.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 20.08.2018 01:47.

19.08.2018 23:55 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

If any new players have joined the battle 4 galaxy I suggest that you should colonize as quickly as you can and research and build at least 1 small turret on each planet. Good luck and have fun.
21.08.2018 14:47 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Game Mechanics » Keeping new players happy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH