Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » 6 hr Tic - Chat » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 6 7 [8] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 6 hr Tic - Chat
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1326.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

Thread Starter Thread Started by War_Cross
RE: New war-only galaxy rule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Roll Eyes Does the idea of allowing new players to have a chance to build a little defense before you rape them bother you ? Or is it the idea of removing one of your favorite loop holes to give you an advantage make you mad.
Yes we will be passing out good sportsman trophies to everyone (joke) who enjoys a good strategy game played on an equal and fair playing field. Players who feel that they can't have a good time without taking advantage of these loop holes, will not receive one. Wink
30.09.2018 19:16 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

RE: New war-only galaxy rule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by War_Cross
Roll Eyes Does the idea of allowing new players to have a chance to build a little defense before you rape them bother you ? Or is it the idea of removing one of your favorite loop holes to give you an advantage make you mad.
Yes we will be passing out good sportsman trophies to everyone (joke) who enjoys a good strategy game played on an equal and fair playing field. Players who feel that they can't have a good time without taking advantage of these loop holes, will not receive one. Wink

So I took the time to look at 5 War only galaxy replays. Guess what no Home Worlds were conquered in the first 100 turns.

Please explain to me how this is a loophole and what it has to do with fair play? Please try to do it without using the words, Rape, cheat, etc....Also point me to a War Only galaxy where this has happened. Not saying there is anything wrong with it.

Let's look at the time frame to take someones home world. Each galaxy will be different, but this will give people a general idea

10 turns to research needed tech
10 turns to build 4 scouts to search for the enemy Home world
10 turns to build 4 troopships (bare minimum needed since you may be attacking without P-scan)
10 turns to build 4 bombers (bare minimum needed since you may be attacking without P-scan)
15 Turns to Travel to found Home World

Let's not forget somewhere/somehow you are going to need to recruit troops to man this little invasion force.

So at this point you are 12 Colony ships behind, with very little guarantee this tactic will be successful

I don't really care if you make a rule like this for the War-Only galaxies you post. But don't claim it is to protect new players from experienced players and please stop making it sound like experienced players are evil.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sygor: 01.10.2018 02:15.

01.10.2018 01:45 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

You would only need 1 troop ship and 2 or 3 bombers. And yes, the rule is for more reasons then just protecting new players.
01.10.2018 02:40 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

quote:
You would only need 1 troop ship and 2 or 3 bombers. And yes, the rule is for more reasons then just protecting new players.

Actually, the War Only format was designed around just ONE specific rule.

Rule 1: There are NO rules.

In ANY War Only galaxy I play in this is the ONLY rule I am interested in.

As your War Only galaxies all seen to be those totally boring 6 hour things, you will not have to worry about me upsetting anyone as I have no interest whatsoever in playing in them.
01.10.2018 05:30 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Every game on the planet has rules. Can you imagine a football game with no rules ? It would be fun to watch, but you would need a lot of body bags. Or a chess game where you can move the pieces anyway you want.

I certainly am not adding rules to give me an advantage. I'm only trying to make the game as fair as possible for all players and not give an advantage to those who no about the quirks and loopholes that new players probably are not aware of.

If you want no rules, then post a diplomacy galaxy. Where gang-banging and planet gifting is allowed. Many players have left CS because fair play and sportsmanship is the last thing on some peoples minds
Maybe instead of 100 turn protection for HQ planets, we could use the scoreboard. Say attacking someones HQ is only allowed if the score of said player is 100,000 or maybe 60,000. That will show if the player is active or not. If not then the HQ is safe. Sygor ... what score number would would work well ?
01.10.2018 14:52 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

quote:
Every game on the planet has rules. Can you imagine a football game with no rules ? It would be fun to watch, but you would need a lot of body bags. Or a chess game where you can move the pieces anyway you want.

I certainly am not adding rules to give me an advantage. I'm only trying to make the game as fair as possible for all players and not give an advantage to those who no about the quirks and loopholes that new players probably are not aware of.

If you want no rules, then post a diplomacy galaxy. Where gang-banging and planet gifting is allowed. Many players have left CS because fair play and sportsmanship is the last thing on some peoples minds
Maybe instead of 100 turn protection for HQ planets, we could use the scoreboard. Say attacking someones HQ is only allowed if the score of said player is 100,000 or maybe 60,000. That will show if the player is active or not. If not then the HQ is safe. Sygor ... what score number would would work well ?

You want rules that are impossible to enforce for problems that may only be in your imagination. If this is a big concern of yours then make Home Worlds average or slightly above average.

You know what''s funny? You keep talking trash about Diplomatic galaxies, but inactive players is not a problem. The Rep system takes care of it..If some one goes inactive or joins and doesn't play, everyone needs to wait 100 turns before declaring war and conquering his planets or face a stiff Reputation hit.
01.10.2018 17:50 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

The size of the Hq is not important, but the fact that it is fully populated giving the player taking possession of it, giving them a huge advantage early in the game ... IS
They will be able to produce ships or research at twice the rate.
01.10.2018 19:59 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
War Lord Player-Rank: 3
Invades without Troop Ships

Registration Date: 19.10.2014

quote:
The size of the Hq is not important, but the fact that it is fully populated giving the player taking possession of it, giving them a huge advantage early in the game ... IS
They will be able to produce ships or research at twice the rate.

And whoever told you that anything in life was fair was lying.

This is a war game and like all wars those who use all available tactics generally win the war.

The only real solution to inactive players is to have erwin write a new galaxy play rule.

Any player not loged into the game on the first turn is removed and all of their ships and home planet population dissapears.
01.10.2018 22:00 War Lord is offline Send an Email to War Lord Search for Posts by War Lord Add War Lord to your Buddy List

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Looking at the score in the fast start real life galaxy it seems that we have 5 active and 3 inactive players.
01.10.2018 22:51 War Lord is offline Send an Email to War Lord Search for Posts by War Lord Add War Lord to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

quote:
Originally posted by War Lord

And whoever told you that anything in life was fair was lying.
This is a war game and like all wars those who use all available tactics generally win the war.
The only real solution to inactive players is to have erwin write a new galaxy play rule.
Any player not loged into the game on the first turn is removed and all of their ships and home planet population dissapears.

Maybe you can explain to all the players that quit CS how fairness is not important.

Yea that solution has been talked about. I think any empire that is inactive for more then 10 turns should have all their planets disappear along with all their ships and score.
But seeing as Erwin is not writing new code right now. We can only simulate the effects.
02.10.2018 00:38 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Looking at the score in the fast start real life galaxy it seems that we have 5 active and 3 inactive players.

Yes we have 5 active players, 3 of which have colonized the juicy planets of the inactive players and now control 6 juicy planets each. This is not fair to the other 2 players that only have 3 juicy planets. I can't remember playing any galaxy that didn't have 1 or 2 or more inactive players.
So I think we can safely say that if a player doesn't reach a score of 10,000 points that they are inactive. For fairness sake ... all future war-only galaxies I post ... all HQ's of empires with a score of 10,000 or less will be considered inactive and off limits to conquest.
02.10.2018 23:04 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

I'm confused, what Juicy planets.

03.10.2018 00:22 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

juicy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This post is not for the quick start galaxy. War Lord was talking about the last 6 hr tic real life galaxy still running.
03.10.2018 01:57 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

quote:
quote:

Yes we have 5 active players, 3 of which have colonized the juicy planets of the inactive players and now control 6 juicy planets each. This is not fair to the other 2 players that only have 3 juicy planets. I can't remember playing any galaxy that didn't have 1 or 2 or more inactive players.
So I think we can safely say that if a player doesn't reach a score of 10,000 points that they are inactive. For fairness sake ... all future war-only galaxies I post ... all HQ's of empires with a score of 10,000 or less will be considered inactive and off limits to conquest.

And you intend to enforce this draconian waffle how?
This is a war game and in any galaxy I play in I and I alone will decide who and when I attack
This is the last comment I intend to make on any of these posts .
03.10.2018 16:32 War Lord is offline Send an Email to War Lord Search for Posts by War Lord Add War Lord to your Buddy List

It is very difficult to enforce Gentleman rules in this type of game. How can you be sure everyone who has joined the game has read the forums and understands what a juicy planet is..simple answer is you can't.

So the next best solution to this perceived problem is to not have any Juicy planets. Or if you insist on having juicy planets, you will need to set up a password for the galaxies you create. That way a player can only join if he reads the forum and request a password from you.
03.10.2018 18:14 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Inactive player rule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Quick start real life galaxy doesn't have any home system juicy planets.
I didn't see anything in galaxy creation for a password. How do you set it up ?
03.10.2018 19:27 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List

RE: Inactive player rule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
The Quick start real life galaxy doesn't have any home system juicy planets.
I didn't see anything in galaxy creation for a password. How do you set it up ?

I've never set up a password, but I know it is possible. Guess you need to ask Erwin
03.10.2018 22:02 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Multiglow Player-Rank: 4
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

Registration Date: 02.02.2010

Passwords are used basically for private games between players.

You set up a galaxy but don't activate it.

Then message Erwin with the PW you want to use and he sets it up for you.
04.10.2018 03:53 Multiglow is offline Send an Email to Multiglow Search for Posts by Multiglow Add Multiglow to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

pass-word Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks Multi
04.10.2018 11:51 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

RE: pass-word Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Smile Maybe I will name the galaxies "CHECK FORUM for GALAXY RULES"
05.10.2018 13:43 War_Cross is online Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 6 7 [8] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » 6 hr Tic - Chat

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH