Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Strange New Galaxy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Strange New Galaxy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Fuyu Player-Rank: 2
Serves Soup on Colony Shuttles

Registration Date: 07.07.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well that sucks because that fucks up all my plans, colonization at least.
Tech I can get around to adapt a bit.
18.01.2020 23:05 Fuyu is offline Send an Email to Fuyu Search for Posts by Fuyu Add Fuyu to your Buddy List
NickVanran Player-Rank: 3 NickVanran is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-698.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

RE: Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I l0ve the idea, and I am playing.

Nick

18.01.2020 23:08 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by Sygor
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Fuyu
Well that sucks because that fucks up all my plans, colonization at least.
Tech I can get around to adapt a bit.

Just say "don't do it" and it won't happen.

Or we can just do the Tech part and leave the Colonization part alone.
18.01.2020 23:09 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
NickVanran Player-Rank: 3 NickVanran is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-698.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

To Fuyu Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Your colony ships will be cheaper and faster to build, Research will also. you will be able to research much faster.

I think it is great.

Nick

18.01.2020 23:13 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
Xeelee Player-Rank: 2
Scouts his own Systems

Registration Date: 26.06.2010

Well, I am glad I am not playing! Such a rule change mid game creates a really dubious situation. The more time you have to prepare for "The Great Enlightenment", the more you can benefit from it, for example stockpiling research or having crew for colony ready at production planets.

IMHO, rules should be crystal clear before the game starts!
18.01.2020 23:51 Xeelee is offline Send an Email to Xeelee Search for Posts by Xeelee Add Xeelee to your Buddy List

The colonization modifier exists to make it harder for the bigger players to expand, I see that as an attempt to make the players a bit more equal. Without it, fast expanding players would have an even greater advantage, and setting it from 100 to 10 is about as good as removing it.
So yeah, I don't like it from a gameplay perspective. There is also that tiny detail that I planned for a long and costly colonization phase (I didn't pick the doctrine but I did make my home planet a full-blown production planet.)

The science part, I don't know. I thought you wanted a slow-tech galaxy, which is why you set the modifier to 750 in the beginning? It is 700 now, and if you reduce it by 50 every 80 turns or so, I have no problem with that. But what you suggested seems a bit off.
Maybe you underestimated how expensive techs would be with that high modifier? Well I say let's have fun beating up each other with fusion-powered corvettes, instead of cranking up the tech rate with a modifier change.

Tl:dr: Please don't do it.
------------------------------------
-

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Fuyu: 19.01.2020 00:00.

18.01.2020 23:58 Fuyu is offline Send an Email to Fuyu Search for Posts by Fuyu Add Fuyu to your Buddy List

So the Enlightenment will not happen.

But remember this would of only happened for 8 turns, then everything would of gone back to the current settings. I honestly thought it would of been fun!

At least you replied, that's something that doesn't happen in many galaxies
19.01.2020 00:41 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Things like that can indeed be fun.
But as Xeelee saiid, rules need to be made clear from the beginning. At the very least, you should have mentioned "Random events with random effects will happen", but I would have prefered even more details than that: What the events do exactly - length and effects, what triggers it and when you expect those events to trigger.

That way we could discuss what makes sense, what might be fun, and what is too much. Radom events are generally frowned upon in competitive strategy games though, they tend to give an advantage to some players more than others.
19.01.2020 08:14 Fuyu is offline Send an Email to Fuyu Search for Posts by Fuyu Add Fuyu to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Fuyu
Things like that can indeed be fun.
But as Xeelee saiid, rules need to be made clear from the beginning. At the very least, you should have mentioned "Random events with random effects will happen", but I would have prefered even more details than that: What the events do exactly - length and effects, what triggers it and when you expect those events to trigger.

That way we could discuss what makes sense, what might be fun, and what is too much. Radom events are generally frowned upon in competitive strategy games though, they tend to give an advantage to some players more than others.

Well as I said I'm glad you posted your opinion on the subject. Wish more of the players in this galaxy would of posted something.

If I ever create another galaxy with this idea in mind, I will be sure to let players know random events may or may not happen. I will also post what those event may be. As for when the events will happen..it needs to be random, with a couple of turns (depending on turn length) of forewarning.

I think what I was looking at was recreating some of the Random events of "Masters of Orion" which I think provided a little bit of inspiration for CS.
19.01.2020 21:12 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
War_Cross Player-Rank: 3 War_Cross is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1332.jpg

Registration Date: 20.06.2014

problem is Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The only problem is that you are also playing the game, and could call events at a time when it is to your advantage. Or didn't you think of that ? Wink Or maybe someone had to be away for a couple of days during the time the event happened. The only FAIR way is to post the turn on which each event will happen, and describe what the event is in the game description before the game starts.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by War_Cross: 20.01.2020 00:21.

19.01.2020 23:53 War_Cross is offline Send an Email to War_Cross Search for Posts by War_Cross Add War_Cross to your Buddy List
pommiebastard Player-Rank: 3 pommiebastard is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-1246.jpg

Registration Date: 14.02.2014

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I still love the idea of a random occurrence. like this! it would be even better if it wasn't set out for the players to know ahead of time but like the wind in a sailboat race, it is an act of nature and it requires attention to take full advantage of.

this is just an opinion and only from one person. I believe that Sygor is a very honest player and was not doing this for advantage and any hint otherwise is not well placed. Just another observation although other people can and should live by their own perspective and inclinations. Big Grin

22.01.2020 21:19 pommiebastard is offline Send an Email to pommiebastard Search for Posts by pommiebastard Add pommiebastard to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by pommiebastard
I still love the idea of a random occurrence. like this! it would be even better if it wasn't set out for the players to know ahead of time but like the wind in a sailboat race, it is an act of nature and it requires attention to take full advantage of.

this is just an opinion and only from one person. I believe that Sygor is a very honest player and was not doing this for advantage and any hint otherwise is not well placed. Just another observation although other people can and should live by their own perspective and inclinations. Big Grin

Thanks Pommie, that was nice of you to say about me.

There are people who do think I would use this to get an advantage, so trigger events would be needed and at the same time they would need some sort of randomness. The following are some I thought of;

1. When the galaxy closes for sign up.
2. When someone has a Rep Gain.
3. When the price of metal or some other resource reaches a certain point
4. When I make contact with all other players (would need to trust me)

Each event would happen a set turn after the trigger, such as how I posted "The Great Enlightenment" will happening in 8 turns.

Anyway it was just an idea to keep the game interesting.
22.01.2020 22:03 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Strange New Galaxy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH