Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Newbie Community Manager » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Newbie Community Manager
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Guike Player-Rank: 1
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-1337.jpg

Registration Date: 03.05.2020

Newbie Community Manager Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey all! I've joined the CS community with some friends a month or two ago and thanks to Sygor we could jump in a private Galaxy and learn the game together.

I really like the game, but I've noticed that there aren't many players out there.
However, there seems to be a quite steady stream of new profiles, but most of them do not come back / post on forums / join galaxies.

I would like to act as a sort of "Newbie Community Manager" for those new players.

The problems I see are these:
- While the manual is good, it is not perfect and also quite big
- You really can only learn the game by playing it
- There's not that many galaxies out there, and most of the time the settings are advanced or there are special game modes
- It is intimidating to join a random galaxy by yourself

I know War_Cross sent me a welcoming PM (I don't know if he does it for everyone) and people like Sygor got me set up with a private galaxy pretty quick, but I think it should be streamlined.

My idea is this:
- There should always be a new galaxy waiting for newcomers to join
- There should be someone welcoming you and informing you of this
- There should be someone guiding you through the game

I would like to do this for newcomers, and see if it leads to better engagement.

Thoughts ? Big Grin

10.06.2020 00:14 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds great
11.06.2020 02:23 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Thread Starter Thread Started by Guike
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Do you think letting me create galaxies for newcomers could be an option? Or should I go through you or War_Cross (or anyone else?)

11.06.2020 04:09 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Guike
Do you think letting me create galaxies for newcomers could be an option? Or should I go through you or War_Cross (or anyone else?)

I think for now you will need to go through me or War_Cross to create galaxies. If it looks like everything is working out after a couple of week, we can ask Erwin to give you the power to create galaxies.
11.06.2020 13:06 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Alright, do you think you could create a galaxy similar to Guikinator ? But maybe with 2 or 3 hours ticks? I'm not sure what's fast enough for new players since 1 hour ticks was too fast for my friends.

2x3x3 is a fine size.

We can call it Newcomers Galaxy 1

11.06.2020 15:53 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List

Below are the settings. The turn time can be changed. So can what ranks are allowed.

11.06.2020 16:41 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Can you change the start date ? I don't really know how long it'll take to fill it up, 3 days seems tight. Maybe just put it far from now and then we'll change the date if we get people in?

I guess we'd allow only players of rank 0 to get in ?

Also, can you change the regular planet sizes / commodities to 300-600 and 40-60? I found that some planets were so bad in some systems that some players were favored by their neighboring systems.

And planet count 5-8, same idea.

11.06.2020 17:09 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List

Changed it to rank 0 and 1...Are you sure about having just rank 0?

Moved start date to the 19th.

Changing the planet sizes / commodities will require a reshuffle by Erwin. So before I make the changes and ask for the reshuffle, I need you to think of any other changes you may want.

Note: Some changes don't need a reshuffle while others do. Any change that changes a planets attribute or the number of planets need a reshuffle.
11.06.2020 17:39 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Ok here's a more thorough list of changes:
  • Max Allowed Player Rank: 1
  • Planet Count Per System: 5-8
  • Regular Planet Space: 400-600
  • Regular Planet Commodities: 40-60
  • Homeworld Planet Space: 600-600
  • Homeworld Planet Commodities: 60-60
  • Homeworld Juicy Planets Count: 5
  • Homeworld Juicy Planet Space: 500-500
  • Homeworld Juicy Planet Commodities: 50-50
  • Number Of Colony Ships: 5

Here's the ideas:
  • Having played enough games to be rank 1 pretty much guarantees you an advantage over players who never played. However, if some people would like their rank 1 friends to join, or haven't played in a while that's probably acceptable.
  • Reduce the gap in planet count to reduce luck factor of neighboring systems
  • Guarantee at least 6 planets in home system. I had 5 planets in my home system, while others had 8-9. Makes a pretty slow start.
  • I want your home planet to be a good planet, while your juicy planets are average
  • I felt like planets with less than 300 space were borderline useless in the end game
  • Have colony ships count match your home system juicy planets count, reducing your advantage if your home system is big

11.06.2020 19:04 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List

Changes made and I've asked Erwin to reshuffle the galaxy.
11.06.2020 20:22 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Thanks a bunch! I'll start sending out invites and hope for the best ! Big Grin

12.06.2020 06:11 Guike is offline Send an Email to Guike Search for Posts by Guike Add Guike to your Buddy List

Galaxy has been reshuffled and the start date has been moved to 26 June.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
18.06.2020 19:47 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
pommiebastard Player-Rank: 3 pommiebastard is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-1246.jpg

Registration Date: 14.02.2014

we used to have unranked games that was overseen by an administrator who checked in and could answer questions but wouldn't participate. this was useful when I first joined in on the game.

that Might be fun and I would love to do that if we are starting up unranked galaxies.

Pommie

23.06.2020 23:44 pommiebastard is offline Send an Email to pommiebastard Search for Posts by pommiebastard Add pommiebastard to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Newbie Community Manager

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH