Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Off Topic » NASA Starts Work on Warp Drive » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page NASA Starts Work on Warp Drive
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bytehunter Player-Rank: 3 bytehunter is a male
Puts Shields on Colony Ships

Registration Date: 20.06.2009

NASA Starts Work on Warp Drive Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Links for further reading that someone might find interesting

The biggest problem seem to be where to get hold of the Exotic Matter with negative mass which is not known to us yet...

Discovery by Eagleworks Laboratories, revealed 2012-09-14:

quote from first article:
The Eagleworks team has discovered that the energy requirements are much lower than previously thought. If they optimize the warp bubble thickness and "oscillate its intensity to reduce the stiffness of space time," they would be able to reduce the amount of fuel to manageable amount: instead of a Jupiter-sized ball of exotic matter, you will only need 500 kilograms to "send a 10-meter bubble (32.8 feet) at an effective velocity of 10c.

Ten c! That's ten times the speed of light, people (remember, the ship itself would not go faster than the speed of light. But effectively it will seem like it does).

Article, 2012-09-17:
http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-starts-development-of-real-life-star-trek-w
arp-drive

Article, 2012-09-20:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/warp-drive-plausible/

Nasa, Eagleworks Laboratories: Advanced Propulsion Physics Research:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20110023492
"pursue propulsion technologies necessary to enable human exploration of the solar system over the next 50 years, and enabling interstellar spaceflight by the end of the century"

An old related documentary, Discovery Channel 2009:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6701714/Discovery_Ch_Sci_Fi_Science_01of25_H
ow_to_Explore_the_Universe_X
22.09.2012 17:29 bytehunter is offline Send an Email to bytehunter Search for Posts by bytehunter Add bytehunter to your Buddy List
inerz Player-Rank: 3
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i wonder if Alcubierre is the name that will be praised for the next thousand years.

This post has been edited 4.8E30 time(s), it was last edited by inerz: Today, 18:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-1uDF8bPo
22.09.2012 18:46 inerz is offline Send an Email to inerz Search for Posts by inerz Add inerz to your Buddy List
bytehunter Player-Rank: 3 bytehunter is a male
Puts Shields on Colony Ships

Registration Date: 20.06.2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by bytehunter
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I will probably not be around to see the praise of Alcubierre, perhaps i should look for a company that can make me cryonically frozen and hopefully then wake me up after 1000 years...

Alcubierre is part of the documentary, clip from the documentary on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZXDEUOao0

He began playing with the formulas after watching a Star Trek episode... His formula was published 1994

Further i found this article from 2000 quite interesting discussing negative energy:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/negativeenergy/negativeenergy.htm
22.09.2012 21:01 bytehunter is offline Send an Email to bytehunter Search for Posts by bytehunter Add bytehunter to your Buddy List
Confused Player-Rank: 3 Confused is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Registration Date: 14.07.2009

quote:
Originally posted by inerz
i wonder if Alcubierre is the name that will be praised for the next thousand years.

... or the last name to be mentioned before an unforseen side-effect of this whole thing locally rips space-time to shreds (and locally could mean the solar system, or the milky way, who knows? Tongue )

22.09.2012 21:08 Confused is offline Send an Email to Confused Search for Posts by Confused Add Confused to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

Meanwhile in other fields Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Many biologist believe that discoveries in the cellular aging clock, or any of several other breakthroughs may change human life expectamcy to 100 years, 200 years, 1000 years...

We will see.

But anyone reading this might well live to the end of this century or beyond.
23.09.2012 02:00 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

RE: NASA Starts Work on Warp Drive Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bytehunter
Links for further reading that someone might find interesting

This is definitely interesting... Thanks for the sharing Smile

23.09.2012 09:02 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

radiance brings up a good point.

there are several possible lines of research that might signifcantly prolong human life:
1. telomerase renewal or the cellular clock just mentioned

2. genetic manipulation or human chimeras: there are supposedly 2 organisms on the planet that could theoretically live forever. there is a type of tree, the oldest known specimens are over 5000 years old. i forget the name of this tree because my memory sux. the other organism is a jellyfish who has the following lifecycle: a) young male, b) old male c) turn into female d) reproduce e)become a young male again f) goto a.
so if we could use dna from this little critter in humans, we would all get to grow tits....several times in our lives.

3. organ replacement thanks to cloning

4. stem cell therapy and other regenerative methods. theyre turning skinn cells into brain cells etc. its really happening. although using analogy in electronics, this would be equivalent to turning one circuit board into another, random, circuit board. they do not have very good accuracy of what theyre turning stuff into + if you can produce new brain cells, they still have to connect to the right places which can be a tricky business in an adult organism.

5. nanontechonology. little buggers just go inside you and fix everything. the ultimate immortality.

6. machine consciousness. transfering your personality and memories into a computer. i personally dont think this is a viable path. its similar imo to the point of teleportation. you get Destroyed and a copy of what was destroyed is recreated somewhere else. i dont wanna get destroyed, thanks for asking though : )

(edit) nr 1 is already thoroughly researched and i would not be surprised if there had already been successful human tests. obviously they could not tell the public because that would throw the world into anarchy. everyone wants to live forever but the reality of our economy does not allow that.

This post has been edited 4.8E30 time(s), it was last edited by inerz: Today, 18:55.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by inerz: 23.09.2012 11:53.

23.09.2012 11:51 inerz is offline Send an Email to inerz Search for Posts by inerz Add inerz to your Buddy List
Ruger Player-Rank: 3 Ruger is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1130.jpg

Registration Date: 23.03.2008

Actually not everyone wants to live forever. Most people I talk to seem to be happy with a good healthy 80 years or so. So I am guessing that there will not be as many people as you think wanting this treatment. And it will be a treatment. I don't think the cost will be that bad at least for developed countries. Treatment will be ongoing and life long I am guessing. It will not be a one shot process and then you live another 50 years. I would bet on monthly and yearly treatments. They will be able to maximize profit this way.

There may come a time when you have to go in for a months to a year at a time for complete rejuvenation back down to say a 18 year old in body age. But something like this would be over a hundred years away. If we can eak out another 20 extra healthy ears here in the next 20 to 30 years I think the age of natural death will be slowly going away.

Add in memory storage devices I think the death of the body could be no big deal. Just clone and implant the memory and you are on your way.
23.09.2012 16:04 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List
Nongolf Player-Rank: 3 Nongolf is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1040.gif

Registration Date: 29.09.2007

quote:
Originally posted by inerz
4. stem cell therapy and other regenerative methods. theyre turning skinn cells into brain cells etc. its really happening. although using analogy in electronics, this would be equivalent to turning one circuit board into another, random, circuit board. they do not have very good accuracy of what theyre turning stuff into + if you can produce new brain cells, they still have to connect to the right places which can be a tricky business in an adult organism.

I've recently read the opposite - that it's surprisingly easy to have the stem cells do what you want (heal damage). They injected stem cells from the umbilical chord into the brain of mice. The brains of the mice had been cut in places, isolating various areas of the brain, but the injected cells found their own way and repaired much of the damage.
23.09.2012 16:20 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

cool i didnt know that : )
so stem cells are kind of "fire and forget" missile of medicine

23.09.2012 18:27 inerz is offline Send an Email to inerz Search for Posts by inerz Add inerz to your Buddy List
Nongolf Player-Rank: 3 Nongolf is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1040.gif

Registration Date: 29.09.2007

I don't know how hard they had to 'nudge' the stem cells, but I remember they were surprised at how they 'figured it out' on their own - much like when embryos develop and the cells just sort of 'know' which organs they are meant to be part of.
23.09.2012 21:52 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

yar its crazy magic how cells figure it out like that.
and this came about just through random sets of trial and error until there was a system which worked exactly the way its meant to like 99% of the time and produced unspeakable complexities.

23.09.2012 22:45 inerz is offline Send an Email to inerz Search for Posts by inerz Add inerz to your Buddy List
ricardo206
Wonders where that new Farmer came from

Registration Date: 16.08.2021

Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you've got right here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon!
https://www.theoutbound.com/amy-herozag

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ricardo206: 16.08.2021 08:23.

16.08.2021 08:21 ricardo206 is offline Send an Email to ricardo206 Search for Posts by ricardo206 Add ricardo206 to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Off Topic » NASA Starts Work on Warp Drive

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH