Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Off Topic » Textures in the game » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Textures in the game
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Sygor Player-Rank: 4
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-1306.jpg

Registration Date: 22.12.2009

Textures in the game Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Was playing around and managed to figure out how to change planet Textures

06.11.2021 20:28 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by Sygor
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mars

06.11.2021 20:48 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mars Terraformed

06.11.2021 20:52 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

How about a Lava World

06.11.2021 22:06 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List

That's no moon... it's a space station.

08.11.2021 00:43 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Very nice!
Of course you know that the textures you exchange locally on your computer are only visible to yourself. However, in theory it would be possible to automatically share texture files with fellow players in the same galaxy, by uploading them to the server, from where they get distributed to the other players.

The first player claiming a planet would have the right to set its texture.
08.11.2021 23:32 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Sygor
How about a Lava World

I'm curious, did you manipulate the ring in this picture? If I remember correctly a ring is generated by picking random colors from the surface texture, and using that to draw plain circles.
08.11.2021 23:34 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
Very nice!
Of course you know that the textures you exchange locally on your computer are only visible to yourself. However, in theory it would be possible to automatically share texture files with fellow players in the same galaxy, by uploading them to the server, from where they get distributed to the other players.

The first player claiming a planet would have the right to set its texture.

Yep I realize the textures are only local.

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
I'm curious, did you manipulate the ring in this picture? If I remember correctly a ring is generated by picking random colors from the surface texture, and using that to draw plain circles.

Planets with Rings have a .DDS file for the Rings. I just edited the Ring file to match the planet.

What is strange is the Death Star planet. To get the "Planet killing laser" to appear round I needed to distort it in the texture file. In the Texture file in looks like a flatten oval. Guess it has to do with putting a 2d image on a sphere. I think this is the same distortion problem caused by Mercator map projection.
09.11.2021 14:55 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

Interesting... didn't remember there was a DDS file for the actual ring.

Well, Mercator projection is different from spherical projection. Mercator projects onto a cylinder, and spherical... well, onto a sphere. Any spherically mapped texture should look just fine in CS.

It's a long time back, but back then when I programmed the procedurally generated spherical texture-maps for CS, I was quite proud of them - and still am to be honest Big Grin It was a bit of a challenge, but I wanted them to look real, and I think I came up with a nice system to generate them.
14.11.2021 02:03 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

You should proud of them. For that matter you should be proud of coding this game. I know I wish you kept plugging away at it.

Anyway I thought my lava world looked pretty cool. I know if I ran across that in a galaxy I'm not sure if I would try to conquer it. Would need to equip my troops with Environmental suits or something.
15.11.2021 16:24 Sygor is offline Send an Email to Sygor Search for Posts by Sygor Add Sygor to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Off Topic » Textures in the game

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH