Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Bug Reports » Odd gov behavior » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Odd gov behavior
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

Odd gov behavior Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I usually use named build Qs to manage building because I find them prettier but now with the advent of saving govs I decided to try out using govs.... all of this is in a test bed.

So I have a Gov called Builder and he has amongst other things the rules:
Run Governor Generic
Run Governor BuilderQ

Now Gov Generic has the rule:
Run Governor CommonQ

BUT and here is the rub... so does Governor BuilderQ.

However via extensive testing I have dermined that if Governor Generic has already run Governor CommonQ then Governor BuilderQ will NOT.
I presume it gets flagged as having already run.

This leads to what I consider the completely counter-intuitive fact that I must have Gov Builder contain:
Run Governor BuilderQ
Run Governor Generic
in that order since Governor BuilderQ will execute Governor CommonQ and prevent Governor Generic from doing to.

I know I know... if I never use Gov Generic directly [but only call it from more specific then I can just omit Gov CommonQ from it entirely... but Gov Generic is what gets the place off the ground.

Besides... Having Gov Generic call "Gov CommonQ copy" works just fine anyway. Wink [ie workaround]

03.06.2009 21:55 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Nongolf Player-Rank: 3 Nongolf is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-1040.gif

Registration Date: 29.09.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Heh. Why would you have the governor run the same governor twice?

It needs fixing, of course.
03.06.2009 22:04 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

RE: Odd gov behavior Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gedrin
I presume it gets flagged as having already run.

You are right, that's exactly what happens. This is to prevent endless loops.

Since I don't categorize this a critical bug (and you do have a workaround), I will add this to the bug database and fix it at later point. Otherwise I am getting no-where with my current to-do list...
03.06.2009 22:42 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gedrin
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

well Gov Generic and CommonQ are common to all govs.

Where as Gov Builder does Gov Generic and then some...
And the BuilderQ will set the build item as something... but allow the CommonQ to override it.

As I said... If I never set a planet to Gov Generic at all I would not need to ... but I do set it to Generic when I have not yet made up my mind.

It does not need fixing at all.. it does exactly what I want it to.

03.06.2009 22:45 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

quote:
Originally posted by Gedrin
It does not need fixing at all.. it does exactly what I want it to.

Then why do you file it under bug report? Wink

Well, that flag is there to prevent endless loops, which is not really the case here. So it fired prematurely. I am sure there is a more sophisticated way to prevent endless loops. But for now I think we can live with what we have.
03.06.2009 22:49 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

Gedrin:
quote:
As I said... If I never set a planet to Gov Generic at all I would not need to ... but I do set it to Generic when I have not yet made up my mind.

Erv:
quote:
Well, that flag is there to prevent endless loops, which is not really the case here. So it fired prematurely. I am sure there is a more sophisticated way to prevent endless loops. But for now I think we can live with what we have.

I think gedrin was repsonding to me here (as to 'why call it twice' (and I still don't get it)). We all gotta be better at quoting the parts we repond to.

I might be wrong, but it's kinda hard to tell what's going on in the governors you mention.
03.06.2009 22:57 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List

PS: to be perfectly clear, when I said 'It need fixing', I meant the code, not the governor.
03.06.2009 22:59 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List
Lion Player-Rank: 2
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 02.07.2011

maybe add a rule make it possible to run governer more than one time
07.07.2011 15:36 Lion is offline Send an Email to Lion Search for Posts by Lion Add Lion to your Buddy List
mizzihood Player-Rank: 4 mizzihood is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1137.gif

Registration Date: 04.10.2009

No need.
07.07.2011 15:54 mizzihood is offline Send an Email to mizzihood Homepage of mizzihood Search for Posts by mizzihood Add mizzihood to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Bug Reports » Odd gov behavior

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH