Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Where are all the players going » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Where are all the players going
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
NickVanran Player-Rank: 3 NickVanran is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-698.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

Where are all the players going Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't know if it is just me or what? As the none paid players move up in rank, to level 2, they play lots of games and rave about the game.

Once they reach level 2, they disappear, some may write on the forum a few times, then they are gone.

Have any of You Noted this trend?

Maybe we need to have some none paid games for level 2s and above. This may keep more players playing.

What do you think?

Nick

10.09.2010 18:30 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
stabby Player-Rank: 2 stabby is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-437.jpg

Registration Date: 12.12.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have noticed people spamming the forums with stuff like:

"Hey this game is AWESOME. We need to spread the word!"

and then... nothing. But are you sure that THAT is the reason people stop playing the game?
(its a good idea nontheless)

10.09.2010 19:04 stabby is offline Send an Email to stabby Homepage of stabby Search for Posts by stabby Add stabby to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Thread Starter Thread Started by NickVanran
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What do the rank 2 players have to do, Whom are not a paid player, after they make rank 2?

I don't see them in any games other than maybe a team galaxy or the open sets in a premium galaxy. Then they seem to disappear or they become paid players and start making their own games.

I will soon be rank 2, What do I have to look forward to as a free player?

This is a very good game, and I do my best to bring new players in, and try to get them off on the right foot. Hope to keep doing this.

Nick

11.09.2010 04:47 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

It's not like I am not creating higher rank free galaxies on purpose. In fact I would gladly create them if there was a demand, or of individuals approached me. Sometimes I or someone else throws one in. I certainly do not force rank 2 players to leave or force them to go premium.
11.09.2010 11:36 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

They say, the best way to figure a problem out is to ask questions. This is what I am trying to do. I am not pointing the finger at anyone, Just trying to make the game better for every one.

Lets try this, have ranked galaxies. Sand box, No rank, no rank to rank 1, rank 2 and and above, then the Premium galaxies with sets for non-pay players.

The No Rank Galaxy:
This rank system will give the players who are just starting to play the game a chance to learn with out the fear of someone a rank above from smashing there competitive spirit. They play with other new players, and get to know the game.

Then they can move to the No-rank to rank 1 Galaxies where they can play against tougher competition and learn new skills and strategies. By now if they get killed during the game, they will know to go to a new game, and will not quit.

Then the rank 2 and above games will be more a tournament to see who is the best players really are, and will eliminate the problem of gang banging a good player to death.

Rank 2 and above may also have tournament games or team games with small teams of 4 to 6 player to see who is the top player / team.

Just an Idea.

Nick

11.09.2010 17:31 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
kickthecat75 Player-Rank: 1 kickthecat75 is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-410.gif

Registration Date: 08.03.2008

we shoould get leaderbords and matchamaking
11.09.2010 20:53 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
TheBlueShotgun Player-Rank: 1 TheBlueShotgun is a male
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Registration Date: 24.01.2010

This sounds preaty cool. Those rank 2 and up galaxys sound like a blast. But Stabby, if Nicks idea works we will not need matchmaking. This game could use leaderboards though.

12.09.2010 17:23 TheBlueShotgun is offline Send an Email to TheBlueShotgun Search for Posts by TheBlueShotgun Add TheBlueShotgun to your Buddy List
kickthecat75 Player-Rank: 1 kickthecat75 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-410.gif

Registration Date: 08.03.2008

im stabby now? wired
13.09.2010 20:59 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
stabby Player-Rank: 2 stabby is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-437.jpg

Registration Date: 12.12.2007

yes its very wierd =P

13.09.2010 21:29 stabby is offline Send an Email to stabby Homepage of stabby Search for Posts by stabby Add stabby to your Buddy List
Crowe Player-Rank: 2
Scouts his own Systems

Registration Date: 25.10.2007

When I made rank 2 like a year ago, I quit playing primarily because when you added premium features I was outclassed because of a lack of experience. I have to hand enter my governors every galaxy, I screen shot all my governors so that I have ones that I know will work, but even with that, I still am not sure how to balance the in game features of premium games in the premium games with free seats. I am currently waiting for mortal suns to start, but I quit mostly because of my lack of competitiveness and how difficult it was to even get into a galaxy. I don't like backing down though, I do enjoy this game alot.

The biggest mark against continuing playing was the lack of higher level games outside of premium games. Perhaps if we had high level non premium games that started a game start countdown only after a certain number of players had signed up; perhaps with email notification of the starting of the game start countdown. This would give us a tool to remind people that space civ is still here, and it would guarantee that there ALWAYS would be a high level unpaid game to at least sign up for.
13.09.2010 21:30 Crowe is offline Send an Email to Crowe Search for Posts by Crowe Add Crowe to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

I just opened a rank 1 and higher non-premium galaxy - it has been a while anyway. Let's see how many players sign up. If interest is low we'll keep pushing the starting-date back.
13.09.2010 22:18 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Scouts his own Systems

Is it possible to email free accounts registered that are above R1 that the galaxy is open?
14.09.2010 02:56 Crowe is offline Send an Email to Crowe Search for Posts by Crowe Add Crowe to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

In theory that is possible - but this is not a special event, it's just a regular galaxy that is opened with regular settings. It feels kind of weird sending an email just for that.

What you can do though is invite individual players yourself that you think might be interested.
14.09.2010 11:09 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
TheBlueShotgun Player-Rank: 1 TheBlueShotgun is a male
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Registration Date: 24.01.2010

First off, im sorry I called kickthecat stabby. I could have sworn that it was his post but whatever. Also, I've signed up for the 1 and up galaxy. I hope this gets real popular. Im looking forward to seeing you guys there. Smile

14.09.2010 23:05 TheBlueShotgun is offline Send an Email to TheBlueShotgun Search for Posts by TheBlueShotgun Add TheBlueShotgun to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Erwin;

It is great that you opened Galaxy 115 for rank 1 and above.

I still feel we need a full fledged galaxy for the newbies them selves. There they can play and develop a stile of their own, can experiment with the governors and Admirals with out fear of being destroyed by a rank 1 player.

They can also learn to build up there planets, attack, set Qs and other aspects of the game.

A note should be added to the non ranked galaxy that if they need help to post on the forum or come to the chat room, Lots of people go there only to find it empty.

Nick

14.09.2010 23:54 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
jackjack Player-Rank: 2
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1220.jpg

Registration Date: 04.07.2007

There seems to be a fair number of "up to rank 1" games. Challenege is part of the game.

I think live chat should have note on it saying, its usually full during team galaxies. Else see forum.

15.09.2010 20:28 jackjack is offline Search for Posts by jackjack Add jackjack to your Buddy List
Scouts his own Systems

My thought on the matter Erwin is from a marketing standpoint. I am curious if you shoot out a single mass email to the 500 or more accounts that would be affected, how many of the in actives would return to check it out. If even ten percent of these returned we would populate two extra galaxies, and if ten percent of the returners go premium we would bolster our participation in the big kid galaxies too

About once a month I run an outdoor skills course that's completely standard issue for my job, but once a year I send out what we call the lost boys reminder, whenever this normal event occurs in my company we send a message to all of our clients, regardless of current activity, asking them to come back and check it out. That event, early in spring, always has noticeably greater participation. Just describe the Galaxy and the community and reiterate the free aspect of things, and see who comes home to us. The ultimate decision factor for us in sending out this email was that alot of good could possibly come of it, and no bad.
16.09.2010 17:17 Crowe is offline Send an Email to Crowe Search for Posts by Crowe Add Crowe to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

I did a quick count. T
There are 223 rank 2 players in the member list.
There are 25 rank 3 players, all premium players in the member list.
there are 966 Rank 1 players, and several of them have went in active for one reason or another.
So if you add up all these players, it will come to 1,294 players made rank 1 and above.

I feel we need to send out a servery to all these players, and find out why they quit playing? What would make the game better? and ask a date as to when they last took a look at the game?

Then ask them to come back an take a second look.

Also the number of points for rank 1 should be higher, like 25 instead of 15.

Only suggestions, to make the game better.

Nick

16.09.2010 20:38 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
Skinnyloser Player-Rank: 3 Skinnyloser is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-125.jpg

Registration Date: 17.01.2006

Maybe the problem is too many rank 1 players. It's easy to get rank 1, but then, in general, you're either lacking competition or are seriously outclassed in subsequent galaxies. It's sorta hit or miss, really. If it took longer for a player to achieve rank 1 then by the time they're playing ranked galaxies they might stand a chance.

I think that may really be the problem... that new players run into uber-players, are wiped-out, and have no idea what happened.

CosSup is a VERY technically complicated game. The rules are multi-layered depending on a player's understanding of the governors/admirals. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating because I see how an opponent's plan is great but their technical execution is horrible. I feel like I have the opposite problem.

If it took a good player 3-5 galaxies to gain rank 1, I think there'd be higher retention, simply because by the time they play in these super-cool 'ranked' galaxies, a good player will be prepared.

That being said, I'm not addressing the whole Premium Membership thing because those facilties add a whole new layer to the game that many, many free players never experience, and once they're in that free-seat Premium ranked galaxy, they get squashed. So many ways for a good player to get discouraged.

THAT being said, I have a noob to go take advantage of! Cheers! Evil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Skinnyloser: 16.09.2010 23:40.

16.09.2010 23:39 Skinnyloser is offline Send an Email to Skinnyloser Homepage of Skinnyloser Search for Posts by Skinnyloser Add Skinnyloser to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Skinnyloser
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

Quite frankly I think the real reason better players move on is "burnout without any sense of acheivement".... or maybe that was just me.

You see the better players are highly competative. It is in their nature to check in every hour 24/7 for an entire game.... it pains them to do otherwise so they have admirals and gov's that are really quite advanced just so they can get some sleep. The probability a person can keep this is up proportional to:
1/(1+ #ofWivesTheyHave + #ofChildrenTheyHave)

For me personally, this hovers around 20% but I might even try if it satisfied my competative nature. But it does not because of the ranking system. Even lackluster players can land top spots on the hall of fame just by playing a lot. But as bob_ninja [a personal friend] pointed out to me over beers... the only real hall of fame is the comics [are they still going?]

It has been over or almost a year since my last competative game. And still the top ranks of the Hall of fame have not moved much... booooring.

As for the mixes in galaxies. I once presented a ranking system: see
Player Ranking systems [for the best explanation of it after incorporationg suggestions from the forums... I admit it is some rather advanced stats math]

It too accounted for the mixes of players skills by establishing a handicap [an expectation] based on the players assessed skill at the time of the game.
New players in such games are expected to be wiped out and gain in rating just for holding out longer than expected. It also punished "game fizzle" which is where a large alliance would form and then just meh [it would be especially bad if that large alliance included to better players]

A secondary treatment of the skill ratings this system produced also resulted in assigning all the ranks from 0-9. My egotistical nature might prompt me to try try try to be the best ranked player relative to others if I could achieve the recognition of rank 9... with the current system... anyone can, you just play play play... since anyone can and once you have a rank , you cannot loose it, it has much less value/distinction.

So far I have spoken to the "sense of acheivement" portion of my "burnout without any sense of acheivement" premise.

As to burnout: There are many players from different time zones...
It would be something if I could pair up with someone from the other side of the planet [like in Europe, Asia, Australia] and agree to control one common empire at different times of the day. I'm just not doin the 24hrs a day thing anymore

17.09.2010 15:59 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Where are all the players going

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH