Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Extremely long turns » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Extremely long turns
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Innoble Player-Rank: 3
Puts Shields on Colony Ships

Registration Date: 14.04.2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Seems to me this galaxy is all but over. It's just mopping up of inactives and defeated players now.... I voted to end a long time ago. The fact that it's a 12 hr galaxy, makes the boring end of a galaxy seem way longer than normal. Do we really need to drag it out?
15.04.2012 14:09 Innoble is offline Send an Email to Innoble Search for Posts by Innoble Add Innoble to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I voted to end it a long time ago, when it was obvious who the winner would be.

The game says galaxy end is "by voting" but Erwin says the vote has to be unanymous and then pm him. Otherwise it goes to turn 700--several more months
15.04.2012 19:04 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
Powers Player-Rank: 4
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

Registration Date: 07.07.2009

I like the galaxy. I am happy if it goes on. And its only 2 ticks per day.
15.04.2012 19:57 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

We could have this galaxy end by turn 500, it does seem more than decided. Any objections, apart from the current leader?
16.04.2012 00:28 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

Sounds good
16.04.2012 06:24 Innoble is offline Send an Email to Innoble Search for Posts by Innoble Add Innoble to your Buddy List

I am not happy with this. I invested a lot of time in this galaxy and i like to play it. I still have things to acomblish and this i cannot do within 40 ticks. So i would like the galaxy to continoue till tick 600.
16.04.2012 19:56 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
mizzihood Player-Rank: 4 mizzihood is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1137.gif

Registration Date: 04.10.2009

I wouldn't end it either.
16.04.2012 20:01 mizzihood is offline Send an Email to mizzihood Homepage of mizzihood Search for Posts by mizzihood Add mizzihood to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

tick 600 would be ok.
16.04.2012 23:31 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List

I think it's a bit extreme to carry it on this long. None of the other galaxies i've seen and played dragged it out that long after the winner is clear.

Is this just a fame thing? The nr 1 already has 2,5 times the score of nr 2 and 3 and half the planets in the galaxy. As I said it's just mopping up. Even if another war were to develop it is just mopping up and no challenge at all.

What else is there to do?
17.04.2012 06:33 Innoble is offline Send an Email to Innoble Search for Posts by Innoble Add Innoble to your Buddy List

PHA.... OK but then end it NOW. So next tick or that after.
17.04.2012 09:36 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

I find this a little interesting.

I for one agree that the current mechanisms for game end could be a little more deterministic.

I have in the past suggested a statistical measure called Kurtosis.

Its a great little measurement and not difficult [for a computer] to calculate. In a nutshell it measure how pointy is my graph. Or in other words... to what extent are all the points in the game in the hands of a small number of players.

Basing it off that has the following happy consequences.
1) Fame hoarding is minimized because there is only so many points one player can get before the game ends.
2) Large alliances of bullies must as some point fall apart and turn on each other because if the winning alliance is too large [ie the points are too spread out] the game will never end.

Just tossing that out there for folks to think on Smile

BTW... the reason I originally looked into this was to find a good way to prevent the worst fame hoarding example on record... I actually felt badly: galaxy 34 And yes... that one was worse.
Honestly, I was not actually intending to fame hoard though... I was just seeing what I could accomplish in to 100 turns after it was a forgone conclusion.

17.04.2012 16:36 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List

It's nice Gedrin, I like it (being into statistics myself). Not sure if it could replace human discussion in a small community driven game like this, but this would for sure be the way to go in a game with 10 to 100x the amount of players. Erwin wouldn't be able to make the decisions for every galaxy then and an automated process would be a good idea.

Maybe a calculation of Kurtosis could be done within the turn calculation. Not to make the decision, but to let the players know they should think about asking Erwin to end the game. Not everyone has enough feeling for numbers to see where the game is going (or has come to). For those people this could be the way to go.
17.04.2012 17:37 Innoble is offline Send an Email to Innoble Search for Posts by Innoble Add Innoble to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

We do actually have that mechanism, it's called "game progress rate". According to it this galaxy is long decided. However, there is a provision that supersedes the GPR, and that is a galaxy needs to last at least 700 turns. I was burnt too often in the past about galaxies ending too early, that's why I introduced that rule.

So basically if the players want a galaxy to end earlier, there needs to be a public discussion and consensus. Judging from the latest discussion here, I am tending to set the end-turn to 500 for this galaxy.
17.04.2012 22:59 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
We do actually have that mechanism, it's called "game progress rate". According to it this galaxy is long decided. However, there is a provision that supersedes the GPR, and that is a galaxy needs to last at least 700 turns. I was burnt too often in the past about galaxies ending too early, that's why I introduced that rule.

So basically if the players want a galaxy to end earlier, there needs to be a public discussion and consensus. Judging from the latest discussion here, I am tending to set the end-turn to 500 for this galaxy.

Its a 12 hour galaxy, either let it run till 600 or end it now. No need to let it run for another 17 days (35 ticks till 500).
17.04.2012 23:01 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

quote:

Is there any way to persuade you to change that auto-end to 600 or even 500 turns?
18.04.2012 01:29 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
montaillou Player-Rank: 2

images/avatars/avatar-681.jpg

Registration Date: 04.08.2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by montaillou
my 2 cents Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The leader doesn't want it to end because, unlike many in my position, I have started to actively resist his takeover of my planets and he's having too good a time at it. That's not to say I'm succeeding, but my strategy is accomplishing what I set out to do.

And even though I'm in the position of others I had been beating in another game when this came up, I'm NOT advocating an early game.

When I signed up, I fully knew it would be 2 turns a day, it's right there in the description. And I could do the math and figure how long 700 turns would take.

I wouldn't mind if the game went until turn 700. I don't care about the fame.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by montaillou: 18.04.2012 04:41.

18.04.2012 04:39 montaillou is offline Send an Email to montaillou Search for Posts by montaillou Add montaillou to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Radiance
quote:

Is there any way to persuade you to change that auto-end to 600 or even 500 turns?

That is no solution cause its completly depending on game settings how long a galaxy needs to develop. In low research it will take much longer. Let it as it is and keep deciding when it happens.
18.04.2012 07:23 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List

Its now 3 days and nothing happend. I dont know if it will go on or not or whatever and this really spoils my game. Isnt it possible to get this ended within this extremly long time? How long will it take to make up minds?
18.04.2012 20:41 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
Admiral Moo

I've set the end-turn to 470.
18.04.2012 21:52 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

Thanks a lot.
18.04.2012 21:54 Powers is offline Send an Email to Powers Search for Posts by Powers Add Powers to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Extremely long turns

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH