Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » some suggestions for the future » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page some suggestions for the future
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Martock Player-Rank: 1
Wonders where that new Farmer came from

Registration Date: 14.04.2007

Text some suggestions for the future Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1) Sharing of Technologies:
I'd like to see the option to share technology with allies. I don't want to GIVE them the technology though but rather give them the understanding of it. How this would work is simple. I offer to share my discovered tech with an ally. They STILL have to research the tech but instead of it cost the full amount, it is reduced by 25% or 50%. They still have to research it to gain access but the time it takes is reduced.

2) Sharing of Research Points:
I generate 100 and offer 50 for ally use and vice versa. This pool of 100 points then accrues a % based upon the total amount in the pool and divides up the total between both parties. Say 10%, so at 100 points, both parties now gain 5 points for the 50 put in for a nice 55 points.

3) Federations:
Allow multiple players to form bigger alliances instead of the one-on-one alliances we have now. Very useful when dealing with big empires. Allow resource pooling / sharing between allies as well.

4) Admirals / Governors for Dummies:
To the noob, both of these functions are mind-bogglingly difficult to understand. While I like that they are there, it can be difficult to understand the triggers for them.

5) Dynamic Tech Tree:
Increase the amount of things to discover. I'd love to some randomness in the tech tree that allowed for different things to be available for research in one game and not in another.

6) Change the Scans to Espionage Missions:
There is something rather Star Trekishly cheesey with 'scans'. I'm not suggesting we lose scans but make them out to be more Spy vs. Spy. I don't know...just something doesn't sit well with 'scans'.
26.04.2007 23:15 Martock is offline Send an Email to Martock Search for Posts by Martock Add Martock to your Buddy List
Kazagistar Player-Rank: 1 Kazagistar is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-68.jpg

Registration Date: 31.01.2007

RE: some suggestions for the future Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Martock
I'd like to see the option to share technology with allies. I don't want to GIVE them the technology though but rather give them the understanding of it. How this would work is simple. I offer to share my discovered tech with an ally. They STILL have to research the tech but instead of it cost the full amount, it is reduced by 25% or 50%. They still have to research it to gain access but the time it takes is reduced.
For now, it remains the case that technological help is just a bit too exploitable, although this would give weaker players a slight advantage. An alternative idea might also be to allow allies to USE the technology while allied with you, but at a higher production price (you share the expertise, not the secrets).

quote:
I generate 100 and offer 50 for ally use and vice versa. This pool of 100 points then accrues a % based upon the total amount in the pool and divides up the total between both parties. Say 10%, so at 100 points, both parties now gain 5 points for the 50 put in for a nice 55 points.
Again, too easy to exploit, probably.

quote:
3) Federations:
Allow multiple players to form bigger alliances instead of the one-on-one alliances we have now. Very useful when dealing with big empires. Allow resource pooling / sharing between allies as well.
I'm nearly certain this is on the low-priority list already, but I don't like it much because it weakens the opportunity for politics in alliances (and betrayals are FUN!)

quote:
To the noob, both of these functions are mind-bogglingly difficult to understand. While I like that they are there, it can be difficult to understand the triggers for them.
You'll get used to them, and they are rather simple at the moment. Many people want simpler, many want more complex. I say we stick with what we have, but enable some way of testing them before running them.

And thats all for now. Smile

27.04.2007 01:27 Kazagistar is offline Send an Email to Kazagistar Search for Posts by Kazagistar Add Kazagistar to your Buddy List
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh yes please please please I would love to be able to "run gov's now".

I think this would have saved Licho's bacon in G9.
I supposed that once he reached the end of his need for any tech, he sold all his university/labs and then switched everyone to building stuff.

With all that space freed up NO ONE pilled up wealth... poof!

Run gov's now would have exposed that.

The rule to pile up weath when you are low is nice but not really what we need.

27.04.2007 20:17 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Minkis Player-Rank: 1 Minkis is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

Registration Date: 05.01.2006

RE: some suggestions for the future Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Martock

I've always wanted to make Alliance only technologies. Where a % of your research capacity goes towards reaching alliance techs. Some can include Say shared scout data, Fleet commanders (ability to assign fleets or another planet to an alliance player for temporary control), Move allied spaceport repair ability as a research tech, trading (ships?, food, military, production - space market like earth 2025). Maybe these can be lost if you leave the alliance and need to be re-researched?

I really hate alliances as they are now. I feel they are useless and contribute less than going down the evil loan wolf path.
quote:

3) Federations:

I agree. Kind of like clans i guess. The current alliance system reminds me of WW1 :p
quote:

Maybe a few basic pre-set ones? Breeders, Basic, Science, Wealth ? And allow users to develop them.
quote:

5) Dynamic Tech Tree:
Increase the amount of things to discover. I'd love to some randomness in the tech tree that allowed for different things to be available for research in one game and not in another.
I wouldn't mind creating restrictions on which branch you can go down depending on what you've already researched. Kind of a you can have one but not both.
quote:

6) Change the Scans to Espionage Missions:
There is something rather Star Trekishly cheesey with 'scans'. I'm not suggesting we lose scans but make them out to be more Spy vs. Spy. I don't know...just something doesn't sit well with 'scans'.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Minkis: 28.04.2007 22:52.

28.04.2007 22:51 Minkis is offline Send an Email to Minkis Search for Posts by Minkis Add Minkis to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The alliance system definitely needs a revamp. I have already noted down a few suggestions to make alliances more useful in general. Apart from the current one-on-one allied system there should also be the possibility to form real tagged alliances (like in other games). Either we find a way to run both systems side by side, or we switch the option on a per galaxy basis. I like the idea of alliance-only technologies!

Run Governor Now will definitely come, soon!
29.04.2007 08:52 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Minkis Player-Rank: 1 Minkis is a male

Registration Date: 05.01.2006

yay! \o/

29.04.2007 15:20 Minkis is offline Send an Email to Minkis Search for Posts by Minkis Add Minkis to your Buddy List
Pevarnj Player-Rank: 2
Scouts his own Systems

Registration Date: 03.03.2007

Yeah, alliances aren't doing too much at the moment. I love the idea of alliance-only tech at the moment btw.

29.04.2007 16:31 Pevarnj is offline Send an Email to Pevarnj Search for Posts by Pevarnj Add Pevarnj to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

i really do like the idea of more capable alliances but i think there needs to be a limit to the size of an alliance like 3 players or something like that. also if we really are going to make the alliances this comprehensive the reputation calculations need to be made on the basis of the combined alliance not individual players within it. at first i wasn't liking the idea of alliance only techs but as i thought about it maybe it could work. in my opinion the alliance only techs should focus on the intergration of the alliance not extra weaponry. what i was kind of thinking was:

lvl 1- basic diplomacy: allows the election of a single leader that can sign treaties with other alliances/players and power to move ships later on. should also be able to pass this along as desired. probably should also set up some kind of a coup system in case leader goes inactive, is an idiot, etc...

lvl 2- intergrated computing: allows you to see what your alliance mate sees.(i have been wanting this for a while)

lvl 3- intergrated tactics: allows designating ships as part of the alliance defense force which would then allow the leader to move them.

lvl 4- intergrated technology: allows you to use techs other empires have researched on your ships for an increased cost

i am sure there are some other things that can be thrown on there just wanted to put forth a working idea on how to actually do this if it does in fact happen. feel free to criticize my overuse of the word "intergrated"

i will just go with the flow of course but i am against alliance-only weapons/buildings etc... its just not aesthetically pleasing to me.

-Erwin [CS]
01.05.2007 04:36 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
gingerbill Player-Rank: 3

Registration Date: 01.03.2007

1) i'd be against sharing technologies , definetly open to abuse , i dont like the idea

2)not a bad idea but again i dont think it would work and open to abuse.

3)federations sound a good idea , sharing information would be very good but again im against sharing anything more substantial that can be abused .

4)Admirals definetly take some getting used to but i think they ok at the moment .

5)i think the tech tree is ok as it is.

6)not sure on scans , still undecided .

Im worried about changing how allainces work , be a bit silly when im researching one tree and my other allies a diffrent one then we all share , be too easy to complete the tech tree quick.

Also i think allainces are what you make off them , If you arrange strategies with your ally and talk often they can be very productive . In the 2 games i have played so far i've found my allies offering me advice and help which is what i assumed it was all about . It's part of the skill of the game managing an allaince and getting the best out of it .

just read some of uncountednose's idea's above , i like the sound of them(apart from the lvl4 tech)

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by gingerbill: 02.05.2007 12:09.

02.05.2007 12:06 gingerbill is offline Send an Email to gingerbill Search for Posts by gingerbill Add gingerbill to your Buddy List

Actually I think most scans require work.

For the most part I want only to scan my enemies.
As such why scan when I can use a shuttle?
With a shuttle I can learn defenses at a planet.
With a shuttle I can completely reverse engineer the ship designs getting results of a Military-Scan.
So...
Planetary scan... slam a shuttle in.
Tech Scan, well this one is actually useful.
Route Scan. There are tails behind the ship. Slam a shuttle in then t=d/s
Fleet Scan... slam a shuttle in.
Military Scan... slam a shuttle in.
System Scan... ok I admit I have never used it.... but it's just a bundle of other scans is it not?

02.05.2007 16:16 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List

you do have a lot of good points but the thing that is really useful about a scan is that you don't have to move the scan into position. i don't routinely have 300 shuttles distributed throughout the galaxy for that purpose because thats the only way the shuttle strategy would be as readily available as scans. additionally you can scan people you are currently not at war with. finally the information you get from a planetary scan is more in-depth than you get from slamming a shuttle in. granted the additional information isn't very useful for determining the strength of this planet but it can provide some insight into how the other player is playing.

In my opinion if scans were a lot less likely to be detected than they are currently they would be even more useful but they are useful as stands. improvement would be welcome though because i do agree they can use some work i just don't feel they are worthless.

P.S. I dont use system scan either i usually ignore it on the tech tree. just not worth it Big Grin

-Erwin [CS]
02.05.2007 17:06 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

quote:
Originally posted by uncountednose

additionally you can scan people you are currently not at war with.

I think thats the main point right there...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by chrisadamley: 02.05.2007 17:22.

02.05.2007 17:22 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

The only concern I have about scans right now is that one can split up fleets into lots of ships, which requires you to use as many scans on them. That needs to be fixed. There are a few other small bugs (like when they expire) that need fixing. Other than that I don't want touch the scan system for the time being.

System Scans are useful because you can see what is happening in a distant galaxy (ship movement and such) for a duration of 3 turns.
02.05.2007 20:09 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
quickstrike Player-Rank: 2 quickstrike is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-327.gif

Registration Date: 04.01.2007

quote:
Originally posted by Gedrin
System Scan... ok I admit I have never used it.... but it's just a bundle of other scans is it not?

System scan isn't even that...it simply allows you see ship movements and population as if you had a ship in the system but only for a period of 3 turns.

Drawing more to your point, just put a shuttle and camp it at the star *cough*Rismagi*cough*.

Minkis
Kazagistar
Skinnyloser
JamesChristo
Satai

02.05.2007 20:46 quickstrike is offline Send an Email to quickstrike Search for Posts by quickstrike Add quickstrike to your Buddy List

i agree, maybe if system scan also gave you a planetary scan of all planets in system and a military scan of all the ships. that does make it pretty powerful but honestly it is fairly useless now and considering it is the "top" scan and nothing else useful is gained by researching it i would expect something special for it.

-Erwin [CS]
02.05.2007 20:56 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List

oh god... I'm so glad I've never gone there.

02.05.2007 23:11 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Rismagi Player-Rank: 3 Rismagi is a male
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

images/avatars/avatar-326.jpg

Registration Date: 08.11.2006

I see few problems conserning scanners:

1. Spliting up fleets;
2. Route scan and fleet scan is expensive in early stages (cost is not so important in later stages);
3. System scan sometimes is useful, but is not worth to research.

Yes, shuttles are cheaper (and sometimes better) than scanners, but scanners have own advantages, "shared scan reports" and "shared view arrea" treaties for alliances would make them much more useful in the future.
03.05.2007 08:51 Rismagi is offline Send an Email to Rismagi Search for Posts by Rismagi Add Rismagi to your Buddy List
rfrueh Player-Rank: 1
Serves Soup on Colony Shuttles

Registration Date: 06.02.2007

Text Alliance suggestion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ok, I know that declaring war, cancels alliances. But what if you don't want to attack them? Generally I end up in alliances with people who don't have fleets, (or, to be fair maybe thier fleets are elsewhere...)
Now, since I generally expect my allies to help, this can be a bit of a letdown. Maybe there could be a way to change military alliances into peace treaties if you find out your ally has no military?

Not to big of a problem, but it just makes me want to decline all requests for alliances.
01.09.2007 19:58 rfrueh is offline Send an Email to rfrueh Search for Posts by rfrueh Add rfrueh to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

RE: Alliance suggestion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by rfrueh
Ok, I know that declaring war, cancels alliances. But what if you don't want to attack them? Generally I end up in alliances with people who don't have fleets, (or, to be fair maybe thier fleets are elsewhere...)
Now, since I generally expect my allies to help, this can be a bit of a letdown. Maybe there could be a way to change military alliances into peace treaties if you find out your ally has no military?

Not to big of a problem, but it just makes me want to decline all requests for alliances.

Well if u dont want to attack them then why dont u just let the treaty run out?? theres no difference between a military treaty and a peace treaty except the time.......so ya...if u arent attacking it doesnt make a difference What u have with them

01.09.2007 22:35 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List

There is one small diff Chris.

The alliance reveals an makes available for use as repair points all your allies shipyards.

So I agree one needs a means of downgrading from allied to neutral.
As it is you can only declare war or get bound into another 50 years of peace. I personally consider a non-binging alliance as neutrality with extended hospitality Smile

02.09.2007 15:26 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » some suggestions for the future

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH