Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DarkLStrike Player-Rank: 3
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-1237.jpg

Registration Date: 14.01.2007

Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty

This will change the current conquering feature and is a alternate way to make conquering a planet last multiple turns. This is just a conceptual idea. Give some thought about it after Beta testing phase.

A lot of the players have suggest a way to prolong conquering. Some have suggested ground troops, or using stationed military to slow a assault fleet down. However those doesn't seem practical since the defending player can easily sell all of his facilities and kill all of his citizens by switching them into stationed military. This kind of scorched earth tactic will make taking a planet even more unprofitable and thus unbalance the game.

What I am suggesting is to add a "loyalty" system into this game.

HOW IT WORKS:

Each planet will have a loyalty level (loyalty level one, level two, etc). With loyalty put into play, after the opposing fleet destroyed your defenses, and captured the planet with his troopships, the citizens of this planet will form resistance groups and try to rebel. Neither you nor your enemy can control that planet while the citizens are rebelling. Each turn after the planet is captured, the loyalty will decrease one level until it reaches level zero. Once it reaches level zero, the citizens will be no longer loyal to you and will join your enemy. Thus the planet will be completely "conquered" and will belong to your opponent.

HOW TO CALCULATE LOYALTY ON A PLANET

Implement a new resource called "happiness". Happiness is gained every turn like food, science and production. Now, here's how it is produced: (maximum number of citizens allowed on this planet) - (current citizens) = amount of happiness gained this turn. There will be a happiness storage box like food storage box, and once this storage box is full or overflows, a new level of loyalty is achieved and the loyalty level of this planet will increase by one. And like food storage, the happiness storage box will depend on your current civilian population as well. The maximum amount of loyalty on a planet cannot exceed: (current citizens)/4, decimals are always rounded up, to prevent massing loyalty pile up. If the happiness storage box is full and another level of loyalty cannot be achieved, extra happiness produced on this planet will be wasted.

BUILDINGS AND OTHER FACTORS INFLUENCING HAPPINESS AND LOYALTY AMOUNTS:

New buildings:
Small Park - space: 5, build: 40, upkeep: 1, effect: +1 happiness gained per turn.
Large Park - space: 8, build: 150, upkeep: 2, effect: +2 happiness gained per turn.
Broadcast Receiver - space: 15, build: 700, upkeep: 5, effect: +50% happiness gained per turn, if the amount is positive. (maximum one per planet)

Old buildings' influences:
factory - additional effect: -0.5 happiness gained per turn. (factories pollute the planet)
automated factory - additional effect: -1.0 happiness gained per turn. (factories pollute the planet)
research lab - additional effect: -0.5 happiness gained per turn. (science wastes pollute the planet)
military camp - additional effect: -0.5 happiness gained per turn. (citizens dislike wars)
university - additional effect: +1.0 happiness gained per turn. (universities makes the colony more attractive)
Light Turret - additional effect: -0.2 happiness gained per turn. (citizens dislike wars)
Heavy Turret - additional effect: -0.5 happiness gained per turn. (citizens dislike wars)
Shield Generator - additional effect: +0.5 happiness gained per turn. (shield generators make them feel safe)
Central Defense Agency - additional effect: +1.0 happiness gained per turn. (CDA makes the citizens feel safe)

Building influences during an invasion:
Each facility will make the rebellion last 5% more turns (The resistance groups can use those facilities as hideouts for their secret meetings or use them as secret weapons caches). The additional turns will be rounded downwards. This will discourage the selling of buildings before an attack.

HOW TO LIBERATE A REBELLING PLANET:
If your planet is currently rebelling against your enemy, you can help it. If you can penetrate the enemy lines and successfully park a ship in orbit of that rebelling planet for more than one turn, it will reset the loyalty level (the loyalty level will go back to where it was before the invasion) and prolong the resistance for many turns. However, if you want your planet back to your control and cease the rebellion, you must destroy all your opponent's forces in orbit and send your troopships in to recapture it. Your land troops will eliminate all of your opponent's soldiers on that planet and liberate your planet.

HOW TO SUPPRESS A REBELLION:
If you are conquering a planet, you may choose to suppress the rebellion and take control of the planet immidiately after the troopship has landed. To do so, you must place at least the same amount of stationed military on that planet as the citizens on that planet (ex. if theres 30 citizens, you must place 30 military on it). An option will appear after you've done so. If you choose to suppress the rebellion, all the citizens on that planet will be killed instantly along with half of your military personnel on it. But the planet will be turned over to your side immidiately.

EXAMPLES:

I figured that I may not explained a lot of things very clearly, so I'm offering a couple of examples that hopefully will help you understand.

Ex. 1:
If I have 5 citizens, 3 factories, a small park and a farm on a 300 maximum space planet:
My maximum loyalty level will be 2, because 5/4 = 1.25 and then rounding it up it will become 2.
I will gain 24.5 happiness per turn, because 30-5 = 25, then because I own 3 factories, 25-3x0.5 = 23.5. The park will add an additional 1 happiness to make it 24.5 per turn.

Ex. 2:
If a planet with 14 citizens, 3 farms, 5factories, 8automatic factories, 1small parks and loyalty level 4 is currently being conquered and rebelling:
It would take 7 turns to fully conquer this planet because: takes 4 turns to get loyalty to level 0. There are 17 facilities on this planet so the resistance will be prolonged for 17 x 0.05 x 4 = 3.4 turns (which is rounded down to 3turns). 4+3 = 7 therefore this planet will be taken in 7 turns. If the conqueror choose to suppress this rebellion, he would need to put 14 stationed military on the planet and choose the suppress option. 7 of his stationed military will die along with all 14 citizens on this planet but he would save 7 turns of rebellion.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by DarkLStrike: 25.03.2007 04:47.

25.03.2007 04:46 DarkLStrike is offline Send an Email to DarkLStrike Search for Posts by DarkLStrike Add DarkLStrike to your Buddy List
Pratap Player-Rank: 2 Pratap is a male
Puts Shields on Colony Ships

Registration Date: 07.02.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very nice - I like it. We'll probably end up modifying it a bit but could be a very good solution to the easy conquer gains we have right now.

One thought I have is... maybe not introduce new buildings that affect happiness until the second or third time it is introduced in a game. We could use a simple formula to start.. like 1 happiness point for each citizen. And it then flows into the happiness box.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Pratap: 25.03.2007 05:04.

25.03.2007 04:59 Pratap is offline Send an Email to Pratap Search for Posts by Pratap Add Pratap to your Buddy List
Aswissrole Player-Rank: 1
Serves Soup on Colony Shuttles

Registration Date: 26.01.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You should add taxes. There is already to much wealth. Lowering taxes brings more happiness to your people thus your planets are harder to conquer.
27.10.2007 17:08 Aswissrole is offline Send an Email to Aswissrole Search for Posts by Aswissrole Add Aswissrole to your Buddy List
diglis Player-Rank: 3 diglis is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

Registration Date: 23.12.2005

RE: Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sorry but it will not work simply i leave few ships in orbet and with my fleet will go to other planets :0
30.10.2007 17:41 diglis is offline Search for Posts by diglis Add diglis to your Buddy List
jackjack Player-Rank: 2
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1220.jpg

Registration Date: 04.07.2007

i think its a good idea, maybe depends how long you have had your planet, and how well you defend it

played games, where it has this function, leave minimal troops to stop an uprising.

might even be connected to rep, it'd make it harder to build a super fleet

30.10.2007 18:09 jackjack is offline Search for Posts by jackjack Add jackjack to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Local Resistance, happiness and loyalty

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH