Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Display player name » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Would you like to be able to edit your display name
Yes. 28 56.00%
No way. 13 26.00%
Dont care 9 18.00%
Total: 50 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Display player name
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gedrin Player-Rank: 3 Gedrin is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-235.gif

Registration Date: 22.02.2007

Display player name Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There was a thread here about this and another one here

Resurecting another discussion now we can have polls Smile

What do you feel about being able to edit your ingame display name?

01.10.2007 21:12 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List
TerraNova Player-Rank: 2 TerraNova is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-370.jpg

Registration Date: 21.08.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes. I've played a ton of Diplomacy, and while backstabbing may not be nearly as prevalent in Space Civ, I like to remove as much of the meta-gaming aspects as possible, especially with such a long and involved game.

Actual forum identities should be revealed at the end of the game.

01.10.2007 22:15 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
gingerbill Player-Rank: 3
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

Registration Date: 01.03.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i aint voted yet as im not 100% sure. I have always spoke against this idea in the past , but not so sure now . My main argument against it is that the more anonymity you have the more annoying people tend to be. But i need to think a bit more before voting.
02.10.2007 00:48 gingerbill is offline Send an Email to gingerbill Search for Posts by gingerbill Add gingerbill to your Buddy List
Kazagistar Player-Rank: 1 Kazagistar is a male

images/avatars/avatar-68.jpg

Registration Date: 31.01.2007

Yes, but make sure to reveal it at the end of galaxy/once the player dies. Then players can't actually be anon bastards, but can freely back stab. Because without backstabbing, there can be no diplomacy.

Forum lurker strikes again!
(I will start playing again... eventually.)

02.10.2007 02:07 Kazagistar is offline Send an Email to Kazagistar Search for Posts by Kazagistar Add Kazagistar to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gedrin

Needless to say I agree with Kaz and TerraNova.

Anything that increases the risk and uncertainty in the diplomatic arena is a good thing I think.

02.10.2007 15:29 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List

Just to prevent confusion, game names identical to forum names should probably not be allowed.

02.10.2007 20:06 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
Xiiro Player-Rank: 3 Xiiro is a male

I am for changing in game name.

The problem has to do with diplomacy and revenge.
If you have too many allies, and you don't want to backstab them, it is beneficial to simply change your name and then it won't be a problem.

The other issue is that with fame and previous games, certain people become targets. By changing player name, you can hide yourself to make it a more even playing field.
02.10.2007 20:44 Xiiro is offline Send an Email to Xiiro Search for Posts by Xiiro Add Xiiro to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Xiiro
Kazagistar Player-Rank: 1 Kazagistar is a male

images/avatars/avatar-68.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TerraNova
Just to prevent confusion, game names identical to forum names should probably not be allowed.

How about "identical to other people's forum names". You should be able to just use your name, if you really want to.

02.10.2007 23:18 Kazagistar is offline Send an Email to Kazagistar Search for Posts by Kazagistar Add Kazagistar to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Kazagistar
quote:
Originally posted by TerraNova

How about "identical to other people's forum names". You should be able to just use your name, if you really want to.

I thought about that, but no-identical-names is more hack-proof. Smile OK, that's not a priority for this... But I like the idea of there always being doubt. Makes it harder to figure out who's who, too. Although there will always be ways to confirm your identity (for example, on the forum).

Wouldn't mind it though.

02.10.2007 23:35 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
HeruFeanor Player-Rank: 1
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 05.01.2006

If I were setting this up, I'd use some kind of random name generator. I really do want to have anonymity in the game. However, I don't want to have to think of a new and original name every time.

P.S. In response to the worry that people will be dicks when they have anonymity, I a lot of experience in online Diplomacy at bounced.com, which enforces this sort of anonymity with an iron fist (you can get kicked from a game if you tell somebody who you really are) shows that. In this kind of context, that's really not a problem. After all, what is somebody gonna do? Attack you? Either you win and they're crippled and open for a counter attack, or they'll win and get somewhere useful, thus making their attack a valid tactic.
03.10.2007 00:04 HeruFeanor is offline Send an Email to HeruFeanor Search for Posts by HeruFeanor Add HeruFeanor to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

The main issue/question for me is, how often should you be allowed to change your in game name? Quite frankly I would prefer a method where you can only change/set your in-game player name once, or maybe twice, but not more than 3 times. But certainly not setting it for each and every galaxy you play in.

Those player-names should be unique too. So you need to register them in the web-interface, they need to be unique. Then when you sign-up to a galaxy you can choose the name you want to use, either your official forum name, or one of your (max 3) in-game player names.

The last question is, should the player name be made public (could be shown in your forum player profile)? Either the player openly decides to show it, or it becomes public after playing a galaxy once (?), or it stays a secret for how ever long the player wishes.
03.10.2007 09:29 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [SC]
The main issue/question for me is, how often should you be allowed to change your in game name? Quite frankly I would prefer a method where you can only change/set your in-game player name once, or maybe twice, but not more than 3 times. But certainly not setting it for each and every galaxy you play in.

I think each and every galaxy is precisely how often it should be set. The idea is not to decouple your forum personality from your in-game empire, but rather to decouple your actions in one galaxy from the judgments in another. That is, when somebody encounters you in two galaxies in a row, you don't want them to know it's the same person. If it doesn't change every galaxy, then it completely defeats the purpose of having alternate names to begin with.

As such, I think the name should be assigned or chosen when you sign up for a galaxy, but you shouldn't be able to change it within that galaxy once you've signed up.
03.10.2007 09:44 HeruFeanor is offline Send an Email to HeruFeanor Search for Posts by HeruFeanor Add HeruFeanor to your Buddy List

You should set it for each and every game. Otherwise it's not really anonymous. Player identities should be revealed at the end of the game. I'm not sure how the 3-name system would work; would you never reveal your real identity? Because otherwise, after you use those 3 identities... it's no longer anonymous. And never revealing real identities isn't good I think.

03.10.2007 15:49 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gedrin

I think you should be able to change it twice.

First before the first tick and you should not be able to select any forum logon name except your own [which is the default]. You should not be able to select any name already selected by another player in this galaxy. I see no need to register them ahead of time. Yes this means that if in any galaxy you wish to name yourself JohnDoe then others in other galaxies can also name themselves JohnDoe... who cares?

The second time is after the first tick and you can only reveal your true identity.

[yes I note that if you join a galaxy late you will be unable to adopt a pseudoname].

After the last tick your true identity is automatically revealed.

If you have a poor imagination and no access to a random name generator of your own devising then you can always use the same pseudoname in every galaxy but then what is the point? While it might be some other player re-using your pseudoname odds are people will think it is you.

03.10.2007 16:03 Gedrin is offline Send an Email to Gedrin Search for Posts by Gedrin Add Gedrin to your Buddy List

I'm not enthused about being able to reveal yourself mid-game, simply because others might demand you do so. "I'm not doing anything with you until you reveal your real name!" Or "I'll attack you unless you reveal your name!" Blah, don't like that situation, spoils the whole anonymity thing, and introduces odd meta-gaming aspects.

Identical names shouldn't be allowed simply to reduce confusion, especially when looking at the scoreboard. If name choices are processed simultaneously, just stick a "1" or "2" at the end of the name, or some kind of distinguishing mark. Otherwise just tell the player that name's been taken (although you might want to avoid giving information before a game has started).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TerraNova: 03.10.2007 16:37.

03.10.2007 16:36 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List

I think there should be a random name generator built-in. It's not that hard to do. I've made things like that before.

Alternately, there could be a simple list like 50 pre-generated names (or whatever the max number of players in a galaxy is) which could be randomly selected from. As Gedrin points out, it doesn't really matter if two people have the same name, so long as they aren't in the same galaxy.

To go back to the Diplomacy example, there are 7 countries in a standard game (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Austria-Hungary and Turkey). You randomly get assigned one of these countries when you join. That country then is your "name". This means every single game has a player called England, but you don't assume that England in one game is the same player as England in another game.
03.10.2007 19:54 HeruFeanor is offline Send an Email to HeruFeanor Search for Posts by HeruFeanor Add HeruFeanor to your Buddy List

Oh, two JohnDoe's in different galaxies... ah, yes, no problem with that.

03.10.2007 20:03 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
gingerbill Player-Rank: 3

Registration Date: 01.03.2007

im still undecided on the issue . Sounds like erwin is against the idea.

changing name's 3 times is silly , theres no point . If they are going to change then it should be at the start of every new galaxy or not at all.

I wouldnt see anything wrong with the name's just being player 1-35 . Or as you say picking them or random generating them . I don't think it really matters how the names are done . The important thing is wether to let them change or not , think thats what should be focused on.

duplicate name's in the same galaxy would be absolutely ridiculous , being able to change name mid galaxy would be stupid.

I still have my worries about letting people do this but i can see the reason's. One worry i have is if 2 people enter a galaxy with the intention of working together they would have a big advantage.
03.10.2007 20:31 gingerbill is offline Send an Email to gingerbill Search for Posts by gingerbill Add gingerbill to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

I'm not against anything. I was just presuming from my personal preference that people would not want to change their name for each and every galaxy. If people want to do that, then I can't think of a reason why not to.
03.10.2007 20:54 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by gingerbill
One worry i have is if 2 people enter a galaxy with the intention of working together they would have a big advantage.

That can still happen anyways. Via PM, or email, or phone, or lunch room:

Guy 1: "Hey, I'm in Galaxy 100 now, I'm Empire of Dude."
Guy 2: "OK, I named myself PainForYou. Let's rock."

That's why being able to reveal your true identity mid-game seems more like a liability than a benefit to me. You can reveal yourself anyways, via other communication. Nothing will ever change that.

03.10.2007 21:00 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Display player name

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH