Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Scan suggestions » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Scan suggestions
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
TerraNova Player-Rank: 2 TerraNova is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-370.jpg

Registration Date: 21.08.2007

Scan suggestions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

And now for some scan suggestions!

1. Surge scan, or "Sensor Sweep": a special one-use type of scan boost that doubles the normal scan range of any one ship or planet, for 3 turns. This may even be directional, like a cone, but keeping it spherical is good too as long as it's expensive enough. You can make its use detectable like other scans, sort of like active sonar versus passive sonar. "You've been pinged by a fleet near ...". An interesting tactical option, I think, and makes cloaking devices less certain.

2. Ship type scan: scans one ship-type in an enemy fleet, and adds it as a selection option in your battle calculator.

3. Scan for the total number of ships in someone's empire (a sort of espionage scan).

02.10.2007 00:14 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
HeruFeanor Player-Rank: 1
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 05.01.2006

RE: Scan suggestions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by TerraNova
1. Surge scan, or "Sensor Sweep": a special one-use type of scan boost that doubles the normal scan range of any one ship or planet, for 3 turns. This may even be directional, like a cone, but keeping it spherical is good too as long as it's expensive enough. You can make its use detectable like other scans, sort of like active sonar versus passive sonar. "You've been pinged by a fleet near ...". An interesting tactical option, I think, and makes cloaking devices less certain.

Oh, I REALLY like this idea, in it's essence... I am, however, trying to imagine how to best limit it. Obviously you shouldn't be able to do this every turn, or even every 3 turns. Maybe simply make it every 10 turns or something. Maybe make it so that a ship can't move during the 3 turns that the surge lasts.

As far as detecting the surge, I would make it so that the surging ship is detectable by any ship that it can detect. So if you normally have a 50 unit scan range, and you surge, you can see everybody in 100 units, and everybody in 100 units can see you, even if they normally only have a scan range of 25. A surging ship should furthermore show up a little different on the map, I think. Say with a blue circle around it, to indicate the spherical sensor boost.

Also, if this requires a custom ship component, it could be placed down the scanning branch to give that branch a bit more value.
02.10.2007 02:08 HeruFeanor is offline Send an Email to HeruFeanor Search for Posts by HeruFeanor Add HeruFeanor to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by TerraNova
RE: Scan suggestions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was thinking it would be a scan like any other scan, that you have to first research and then keep building in order to use. You'd use it up on one of your own ships/planets, instead of a target like the other scans. It could very well have to be more expensive than a system scan, maybe a lot more, although the fact that it can only be used from one of your own ships or planets does give it a built in limitation. Once you apply it to one of your ships/planets, it lasts, say 3 turn, then you'd have to built another one.

If high cost isn't enough of a limitation, you could also cap the number of Sensor Sweeps you could store.

Offering "active scanning" as a tech built into a ship is another interesting change too, though.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TerraNova: 02.10.2007 03:29.

02.10.2007 03:27 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
HeruFeanor Player-Rank: 1
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 05.01.2006

Ah, I see. Using it as a normal constructed scan does make a certain amount of sense.

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of the idea of constructing scans for latter use. It just doesn't make any sense to me, logically.
02.10.2007 05:38 HeruFeanor is offline Send an Email to HeruFeanor Search for Posts by HeruFeanor Add HeruFeanor to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by TerraNova

*shrug* Maybe they're partly espionage missions.

02.10.2007 05:46 TerraNova is offline Send an Email to TerraNova Search for Posts by TerraNova Add TerraNova to your Buddy List
Kazagistar Player-Rank: 1 Kazagistar is a male

images/avatars/avatar-68.jpg

Registration Date: 31.01.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That would make sense, renaming scans "Espionage Missions". Eh?

02.10.2007 05:54 Kazagistar is offline Send an Email to Kazagistar Search for Posts by Kazagistar Add Kazagistar to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Scan suggestions

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH