Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Races » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Races
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Hesoe Player-Rank: 1
Arms Farmers, and Farms Armor

Registration Date: 13.03.2008

Text Races Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Suggestion for Races:

No races should have a tech tree of their own. 'Cause we all live in the same world so how different can our technolongy be?
Instead each 'Race' should have some kind of advantage like 1 of them is really good at doing science, another production...

Races:

Insectoid: +2 food per farmer, +1 production per worker. +10% light dmg. (2 farms and a factory on every planet)

Reptilian: +2 credit per pop,* +1 science per scientist. +10% speed all vessels. (1 university and an automated factory only making money)

Mammal: +2 production per worker, +1 credit per pop.* +10% bombing dmg. (1 automated factory and a factory only making money)

Fish-ling: +2 science per scientist, +1 food per farmer. +10% heavy dmg. (1 science lab and a farm on every planet)
*(I am not familiar with system, regulation may be needed to prevent overpowering/-weakening)

^ This will greatly change the gameplay of all players. If you have to choose one then your strategy will be set for the game...

If the commerce system is implemented there will be loads of new possibilities per race. If the ground combat system finally takes hold the races will each excel at their own form of combat. Massed flood, quick raids, preliminary bombardment and superior firepower...

Edit: of course you should only choose one when entering a galaxy not while making your account... players should not be forced into some style they should discover their own...

This post has been edited 7 time(s), it was last edited by Hesoe: 27.03.2008 15:51.

24.03.2008 23:07 Hesoe is offline Send an Email to Hesoe Search for Posts by Hesoe Add Hesoe to your Buddy List
DarkLStrike Player-Rank: 3
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-1237.jpg

Registration Date: 14.01.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

the current race system will unbalance the game. The bonuses must be applied in percentages like this:

Insectoid: +10% food per farmer, +5% production per worker. +10% light dmg.

Reptilian: +10% credit per pop,* +5% science per scientist. +10% speed all vessels.

Mammal: +10% production per worker, +5% credit per pop.* +10% bombing dmg.

Fish-ling: +10% science per scientist, +5% food per farmer. +10% heavy dmg.

25.03.2008 00:41 DarkLStrike is offline Send an Email to DarkLStrike Search for Posts by DarkLStrike Add DarkLStrike to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by Hesoe
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Actually i think your system will make bigger players get an extremely large advantage... Mine was centered more around giving a constant addition instead of depending on the number of factories you got...

But it was only a suggestion so... All thoughts welcome Big Grin

25.03.2008 15:56 Hesoe is offline Send an Email to Hesoe Search for Posts by Hesoe Add Hesoe to your Buddy List
DarkLStrike Player-Rank: 3

images/avatars/avatar-1237.jpg

Registration Date: 14.01.2007

and your system would severely unbalance early games.

25.03.2008 20:42 DarkLStrike is offline Send an Email to DarkLStrike Search for Posts by DarkLStrike Add DarkLStrike to your Buddy List
kickthecat75 Player-Rank: 1 kickthecat75 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-410.gif

Registration Date: 08.03.2008

so this is kinda like the sins of a solar empire system....
26.03.2008 19:41 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List

my idea was to severely unbalance early games...

but still... how unbalanced will they become... Insectoid will get pop faster and so more 'stuff'... Reptilian and Mammal will get buildings faster and so more 'stuff'... Fish-ling will get better stuff faster and so more 'stuff'... They're all centered on reaching the same goal... It's just the playing style that differs...

Insectoid and Mammal are quick expanders while Reptilian and Fish-ling are the ones who build up their own system before moving on...

Reptilian and Mammal are Attackers while Insectoid and Fish-ling are Defenders...

They're not dead-set though since they each cancel each other out... a Reptilian attacking a Fish-ling will not have much of an advantage...

But maybe i'm missing something... May be it should be percentage...

We'll be able to settle on percentage taking the factories, universities and labs out of the equation...

26.03.2008 21:21 Hesoe is offline Send an Email to Hesoe Search for Posts by Hesoe Add Hesoe to your Buddy List

well...id have to say...this is cool maybe we can make both see what erwin likes most then use that? i dunno im thinkin outloud
27.03.2008 01:12 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

RE: ^ Taken from my original post... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Hesoe
Insectoid: +2 food per farmer, +1 production per worker. +10% light dmg.

Reptilian: +2 credit per pop,* +1 science per scientist. +10% speed all vessels.

Mammal: +2 production per worker, +1 credit per pop.* +10% bombing dmg.

Fish-ling: +2 science per scientist, +1 food per farmer. +10% heavy dmg.

bonuses to credits per pop is less than food per farmer is less than science per scientist is way less than production per worker. light damage is less than heavy and bombing is way less than speed. since all resources are not created equal trying to distribute them in this manner would only result in one race being superior to the others. I see that you have tried to distibute them probably with his same order in mind. Balancing different races is a very long process and can only be done with play testing. don't get me wrong, i REALLY want some races added in. i like them for the very reasons you outline but i just can't see them as a practical addition right now. they will probably never be a practical addition.

p.s. percentage is better than set numbers. one word- scaling

-Erwin [CS]
27.03.2008 07:19 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Ceejay9 Player-Rank: 2
Invades without Troop Ships

Registration Date: 09.05.2007

I agree with UC here. If you add races you have to take some of the most important things into account and not just try to go for all abilities.

Most likely something along the lines of:

Race1- +10% production

Race2: +10% ship speed.

Race3: +10% Heavy Firepower

Obviously just something off the top of my head and they'd have to be looked into, but now you have three races that can affect playstyle. I don't honestly think the %'s should all be the same as each option affects a player in different ways.

Upon thinking about it, you could totally change people's playstyle also by perhaps instead of a player gaining +10% heavy firepower. Make it +30% or so turret damage and shield power. This allows for a player to choose a defensive game instead of an offensive game.

Honestly along those lines though, you would really want totally different race statistics to really change the game. Just changing certain numbers doesn't really do that. Like mentioned above though, giving bonuses to defense can really change the actual game.

So as another example option to think about :

Race1: +10% production, +10% ship speed (You are looking for fast building and moving. the Blitzkrieg option)

Race2: +10% to all Defensive installations, +10% planet space. (this is for the defensive players who want to take their time getting into the game.)

Race3: -1 to research modifier. +10% bombing firepower.(This is for players that want to use tech to break through their opponents guard)

In any case, good conversation about it.
27.03.2008 14:21 Ceejay9 is offline Send an Email to Ceejay9 Search for Posts by Ceejay9 Add Ceejay9 to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

i agree it is a good conversation. about 6-9 months back i worked out a real detailed suggestion on races but i had a computer "issue" and it was lost in the changeover. i couldhave saved it but i choose not to because i figured it was a futile suggestion for the reasons i brought up in my above post. kind of regretting that decision right now though...

-Erwin [CS]
27.03.2008 15:01 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List

how bout this
race1 - science
race2 - building masses
race3 - makeing loads of food
that way there is a race for evey kind of thing sept money
27.03.2008 19:25 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
Albatrossix Player-Rank: 2
Puts Shields on Colony Ships

Registration Date: 13.02.2008

moo2 races Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I remember from master of orion 2:

you could make your own race by adding bonuses and penalties, where the amount of bonus and penalty can be tweaked to balance out the different advantages. (stable economy was worth a lot of points, as well as creative (researching all techs, instead of just on per field)... while not being able to communicate with others (repulsive) was a lot of negative points (ie choosing it gives you more points for other positive bonusses).

I think this would go a long way towards allowing flexibility and different type races, while keeping things balanced, and at the same time making the player able to tweak his race for the purposes he desires most (instead of giving a few preset ones that are'n quite what I want. Wink )
29.03.2008 20:53 Albatrossix is offline Send an Email to Albatrossix Search for Posts by Albatrossix Add Albatrossix to your Buddy List

RE: moo2 races Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So we're thinking picking your own bonuses and possibly adding more points to pick bonuses for by cancelling other "normal" abilities?

Interesting thought... I'll take out some of my research and hope i'll be able to swarm the enemies by opping my production...

30.03.2008 15:22 Hesoe is offline Send an Email to Hesoe Search for Posts by Hesoe Add Hesoe to your Buddy List
jackjack Player-Rank: 2
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1220.jpg

Registration Date: 04.07.2007

couldn't you just pretend to be a lizard Tongue

I think it would distabilise the game, unless the effect was some kind of random highly unlikely battle event which then gives a 10% bonus

like say some planet is idea for lizard people so you get a 10 bonus over another race for that one planet Tongue

then again it would be hardly worth mentioning.

31.03.2008 21:22 jackjack is offline Search for Posts by jackjack Add jackjack to your Buddy List
Nerd Player-Rank: 2

Registration Date: 07.03.2007

Of course a race that eats other races instead of food is required Red Face Also robatic race that eats production maybe?
09.04.2008 11:17 Nerd is offline Send an Email to Nerd Search for Posts by Nerd Add Nerd to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Sounds weird, but in theory that would be possible...

What probably would make more sense is different races have their own technology tree: like some races do have cloaked ships, others don't - or other race specific technologies. This idea has been proposed by azazel by the way Smile
09.04.2008 11:33 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
stabby Player-Rank: 2 stabby is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-437.jpg

Registration Date: 12.12.2007

This have also been suggested before (including by me), it has multiple forms: races, gouverments etc.

10.04.2008 10:05 stabby is offline Send an Email to stabby Homepage of stabby Search for Posts by stabby Add stabby to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Races

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH