Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Allied fleets » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Allied fleets
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
azazel Player-Rank: 2 azazel is a male
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 25.06.2007

Allied fleets Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi,

I do not have a solution, but one thing turns out to be extremely unpractical and error-prone: when you got more than 2 allies trying to coordinate their fleets to stay together. The obvious process is for all other fleets to be set to follow the slowest one, but in practice this becomes cumbersome because folks make mistakes and also because it is not very clear when there are multiple fleets by multiple parties in one spot.

Maybe there should be a way to give limited control over individual fleets to your allies. That also would help in situations where allies first agreed on flying together, the slowest fleet was set to attack a certain planet, then later it turns out a bad idea to attack that planet, but the ally with the slowest fleet is not online. With some sort of shared control, another of the allies could change the course of all ships in the combined fleet.

Anyway, this idea might be a bad one, but the described problem is definitely worth thinking about in my opinion. In galaxy #89 this has been an issue more than once. We are 4 allies (actually more, but 4 of us have our fleets combined) and whenever we want to initiate some joined action, it's a major pain in... you get the idea. We actually have to meet in an IM and discuss for 15-30 minutes till we get the setup right, and even so sometimes there happen mistakes.

Cheers,
Azazel
25.04.2008 22:43 azazel is offline Send an Email to azazel Search for Posts by azazel Add azazel to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

RE: Allied fleets Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

well the way that has been suggested before has been to be ale to turn over the control of your fleets to another player. Two ways there, you could have a fixed alliance structure with positions(e.g. leader and general) probably a fixed number of members also. the other way would be to have the ability to turn over control of specific ships/fleets to another player. pretty similar but the implementation would be different. personally i am against making alliances that strong. the difficulty is good in my opinion. prevents abuses.

-Erwin [CS]
26.04.2008 03:58 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Say you have one player of the alliance that coordinates the attacks, and all other ships/fleets follow that one leading fleet (controlled by that player). Would it be enough if we made sure that (once the following ships are the same location) the leading fleet would move as fast as the slowest ship of that ship-cluster?

If that is not enough, and you actually want all allies to coordinate the attacks (for instance because you guys cover different timezones), one solution could be to create a "Allied Fleet", that has all the ships of the allies in it. Since it was one fleet then, it would move with the speed of the slowest ship automatically. Also, every alliance member that had ships in that fleet would be the owner of that fleet, and could control it like it was his own. Basically that would be no big deal, but I would have to change all the code pieces that deals with the ownership of a fleet, and see what implications that has.
26.04.2008 13:00 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by azazel
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [SC]
Say you have one player of the alliance that coordinates the attacks, and all other ships/fleets follow that one leading fleet (controlled by that player). Would it be enough if we made sure that (once the following ships are the same location) the leading fleet would move as fast as the slowest ship of that ship-cluster?

If that is not enough, and you actually want all allies to coordinate the attacks (for instance because you guys cover different timezones), one solution could be to create a "Allied Fleet", that has all the ships of the allies in it. Since it was one fleet then, it would move with the speed of the slowest ship automatically. Also, every alliance member that had ships in that fleet would be the owner of that fleet, and could control it like it was his own. Basically that would be no big deal, but I would have to change all the code pieces that handle the deal with the ownership of a fleet, and see what implications that has.

I'd like the second option a lot better. It would greatly simplify coordinated attacks. And in contrast to suggestions like sharing tech it would not really give alliances more power, it would just alleviate difficulties of handling and of different time zones.
Of course, it would be necessary to be able to take some or all of ones ships out of such an allied fleet at any time if it turns out one of the other alliance members is abusing the shared control. (Example: players A, B and C control a shared fleet. C's part of that fleet is 10%, the other two guys each have contributed 45%. If C was treacherous, he might intentionally lead the allied fleet towards a target where all ships are very likely to perish. It would not hurt him very much, but hurt A and B dramatically.)

Cheers,
Azazel
26.04.2008 17:10 azazel is offline Send an Email to azazel Search for Posts by azazel Add azazel to your Buddy List
jackjack Player-Rank: 2
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1220.jpg

Registration Date: 04.07.2007

downside to an "allied fleet" ...if you had one big fleet, One scan would get all ships I assume?

I favour the first...

admiral rule: match speeds with ally fleets

26.04.2008 18:35 jackjack is offline Search for Posts by jackjack Add jackjack to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

quote:
Originally posted by jackjack
downside to an "allied fleet" ...if you had one big fleet, One scan would get all ships I assume?

Scanning would have to be changed anyway to scan all ships/fleets at one spot with a single scan, regardless of the Allied Fleet idea.
26.04.2008 19:15 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [SC]
Scanning would have to be changed anyway to scan all ships/fleets at one spot with a single scan, regardless of the Allied Fleet idea.

I agree. The way it is now is really unfair, as The Phantom mentions in the other thread...
26.04.2008 22:24 azazel is offline Send an Email to azazel Search for Posts by azazel Add azazel to your Buddy List

In light of Team Galaxy 100 this will soon become very interesting - I'd say in about 100 turns.
Could you implement at least the admiral option "keep with slowest allied ship"? Real shared control would be even better, particularly as in this galaxy there's no danger of treacherous allies.

Thanks,
Azazel
13.07.2008 23:48 azazel is offline Send an Email to azazel Search for Posts by azazel Add azazel to your Buddy List
jackjack Player-Rank: 2
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1220.jpg

Registration Date: 04.07.2007

I agree. Vital!

14.07.2008 00:21 jackjack is offline Search for Posts by jackjack Add jackjack to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Allied fleets

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH