Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Drive inhibitors » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Drive inhibitors
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
azazel Player-Rank: 2 azazel is a male
Hurries Production on Hotdog Stands

Registration Date: 25.06.2007

Drive inhibitors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi,

this is probably a crappy, wild idea I just had. But what would you think about this:

Add a facility "Drive Inhibitors" which could be built when you research something more advanced in the scan tree. The effect of such a facility would be that any enemy ships in a system with such a facility go, say, 5% more slowly. You could build only one per planet, but if you build in multiple planets in the same system, the numbers add up.
So if you got your typical 5-planet system, you might get to 25% reduction of enemy ship speed. Ideally, the effect would be limited to the visible sphere of influence.

Obviously, building that facility should not be cheap. It probably should take quite some space.

What would be the upside? Well, often someone comes into your system with his ravaging fleet (well, my allies and me do that right now to our enemy) and jumps from planet to planet. Your defensive fleet often is simply not fast enough to catch up. Inhibitors would give a chance to force confrontations between offensive and defensive fleets. This would strengthen defense somewhat, but in a way which only makes sense in combination with defensive fleets.

What do you guys think?
Cheers,
Azazel
26.04.2008 02:55 azazel is offline Send an Email to azazel Search for Posts by azazel Add azazel to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

RE: Drive inhibitors Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

its not that crazy at all. there is already some suggestions about wormholes to increase the speed of your own ships between your own planets. not as popular but a warp interdictor has been thrown out there also. Based on the old MOO2 warp interdictor i am sure.

-Erwin [CS]
26.04.2008 03:53 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

RE: Drive inhibitors and Wormholes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like that idea too! I also don't see any issues with overlapping "territory bubbles". Basically as soon as you are within "scan range" of a planet, the foreign ship would be slowed down according to the number of drive inhibitors in that system.

BTW, the way I envisioned wormholes was to have a ship equipped with a wormhole generator module that could fly to any place, and create one entrance of the wormhole there. An ally, or yourself could then create the other end of the wormhole at another place of the galaxy. Any ship that passed through it would do so in a single turn. The number of wormholes would be extremely limited, maybe even to 1 per player.
26.04.2008 13:14 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Lost Cause Player-Rank: 2 Lost Cause is a male

images/avatars/avatar-81.jpg

Registration Date: 30.05.2007

RE: Drive inhibitors and Wormholes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [SC]BTW, the way I envisioned wormholes was to have a ship equipped with a wormhole generator module that could fly to any place, and create one entrance of the wormhole there. An ally, or yourself could then create the other end of the wormhole at another place of the galaxy. Any ship that passed through it would do so in a single turn. The number of wormholes would be extremely limited, maybe even to 1 per player.

you pretty much have the right teck in there for that already Big Grin
the ability to generate, manipulate or in any way disrupt gravity or gravitons would conceivable give you /control/(for a given value of control)l over black holes.

you just need a hell of a lot more stuck to make it into a viable means of transport that gets you places without reducing you to your component elements and fusing them together.

you could also have particular facilities aimed at distorting space in a particular area so that a particular means of propulsion does not work.

once you have a grip on some of the "immutable" laws of reality you can pretty much do anything you like.
turn off fusion,
turn up fusion,
disable mass attraction,
adjust light speed to suit Big Grin

if you had the ability to manipulate gravity you can pritty much do as you please.. means of propulsion generating a microscoping black hole directly in front of the ship. you go into a perpetual state of free fall
your main weapon is to drive straight at someone :d
your best defense that super pocket of gravity that distorts everything around it.
cant shoot past it, can't see around it and it's heading straight at you.
wheeee pop.

oh incidentally I forgot I signed up for 91.
sorry.
I'm up and running now.
currently in 23rd position out of 25 on turn 18 Big Grin
oups.
if only there was a time control teck out there
there goes the hull.

effects like this could go nicely towards adding environmental effects like system wide dust clouds and natural black holes. things that damage or destroy ships depending on your current tecks and the build of the ships themselves.

26.04.2008 13:46 Lost Cause is offline Send an Email to Lost Cause Search for Posts by Lost Cause Add Lost Cause to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lost Cause
Lost Cause Player-Rank: 2 Lost Cause is a male

images/avatars/avatar-81.jpg

Registration Date: 30.05.2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hmm.
turn 19 and into first place.
Time control is over rated.

also, would it not be a nice touch to add a ship engine/shield/weapon that depends on a planet based generator to keep it going. so the engine only works as long as it is within a certain distance of the planet with the generator.
they could be much smaller in size for there power output because they don't have to generate there own Big Grin
if the planet is lost
it might even be an opening for hostile interference.

26.04.2008 14:34 Lost Cause is offline Send an Email to Lost Cause Search for Posts by Lost Cause Add Lost Cause to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lost Cause
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » Suggestions » Drive inhibitors

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH