Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Galaxy 23 AAR » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Galaxy 23 AAR 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Traveler Player-Rank: 2 Traveler is a male
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-596.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2009

Galaxy 23 AAR Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

GALAXY 23 AAR

Howdy ya’ll,

I’ve played other multilayer games where each player posts an After Action Report after the end of a session. I really like how it encourages the players to role play a little and bring a little spice to the game. What follows is my attempt at an AAR for Cosmic Supremacy. If you feel inclined and want to join please do so.

Traveler

18.07.2009 23:32 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Thread Starter Thread Started by Traveler
Traveler's AAR Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Traveler's AAR Chapter I

Introduction:

This is my second game out of the sandbox and I’m really excited to see how I do. A little about myself first: I’m an avid Strategy nut, not the click fest strategy mind you, but more of the hard core thought provoking plan for the future type strategy. I believe I fit in the category of “grognard” as strategy terms go. I have a vast collection of strategy titles and have found the most satisfaction from playing other people. After trying many online “Strategy” games, “Cosmic Supremacy” has been the most rewarding so far.

The Set Up:

My home planet is situated in a six planet system. A look around at the planets here tells me that I have a pretty good starting position but didn’t luck out with any rare resources. I send one of my colony ships to the next best planet and the second to the nearest unexplored system. The planet in my system to be colonized was chosen for its high production rate combined with its food per farmer and population maximum. The idea being this will be the planet to build future ships from as the high production rate and population level will help crank them out quicker.

I start researching with the idea that improving my planets basic output will help in the long run. My first project is “Advanced Networking” which will give me the universities needed to boost future research projects. Next I go for “Astro Engineering” which will give me factories to enhance production on my planets. With these technologies I can concentrate on setting planets up for research and production. From here I can plan my next steps based on what I find in the systems around me.

I decide to build another farm then another colony ship. I also adjust my recruitment rate to have enough military to man my ship when the time comes. I feel in the early part of the game expansion is critically important. So my home planet will alternate building important structures and colony ships. This will remain my plan unless situations arise that require me to change.

Isolation:

My second colony ship arrives in the closest un-explored system only to find it’s the home system to another player, how disappointing. I decide to send the colony ship to the next nearest unexplored system. This is agonizing of course due to the extremely slow pace of this lumbering colony ship. Alas, the next system is also occupied. I’m surrounded, this changes everything.

With no room to grow I must build up my home system as fast as possible. I recall my colony ship to colonize a planet in my home system and set about building colony ships to settle the rest of the planets in the system as fast as I can. With all the planets in my system settled I focus on building farms to max out populations, factories to produce other structures faster and universities to maximize research. Being isolated I know that tech will be my friend.

Players with more planets will be able to research much easier. This can have dire consequences for me as I will be limited in how much research I will be able to do as resources will be diverted to building warships and cranking out military troopers. The longer I’m engaged in conflict the more likely my enemy and everyone around me will advance in research leaving me behind. Therefore I must develop all my planets toward research and have as many citizens as possible work as scientists to hopefully become technologically more advanced than my neighbors.

First Contact:

On turn 208 I’m contacted by sonarnet who asks if I would like to join an alliance with him and Omega Collective and DarkAngal. This is the first time anyone ever asked me to be part of an alliance. I figure why not, I’m alone and isolated, some powerful friends could be helpful. A check of the “High Scores” indicates these are some powerful players as they are up in the teens out of a field of 42 players.

Unfortunately I don’t have knowledge of all the players and have only found DarkAngal so far with my scout ship. I send a message to DarkAngal letting him know that I am interested in being part of the alliance sonarnet spoke of. I assume someone shared contacts or maps which allowed sonarnet to see me. DarkAngal agrees and sends the diplomatic proposal for a 100 turn alliance between just him and me. I’m unable to contact sonarnet and DarkAngal doesn’t seem interested in sharing maps. No worries, with an ally I feel a little safer.

To Strike or Not To Strike:

After signing the alliance treaty I felt compelled to find sonarnet and Omega Collective. I build a fast scout to head around to the nearby systems working in a spiral pattern as I search. During my scouting I find a system not to far away with only one planet colonized. I kick myself for not doing more scouting as this would have been extremely helpful to my cause. I decide I must also colonize some of the planets in this system. I know this will cause tension between the player already in the system and me but I have no choice.

I direct my scout to return to the system, as they had scouted it while I was offline. I also build a colony ship to prepare for expansion into the system. Much to my chagrin the player had already colonized two more planets in the system. There are six planets in this system and I might still have a chance to grab the rest if I work fast. I also decide I need some protection as this will most definitely anger the other player when I swoop in. I plan on a light fast fleet to accompany my colony ship. I use two planets to crank out the ships then send them on their way.

The battle fleet arrives first only to find the player had colonized all but one planet. This player is good at expansion. But wait, I notice the planets population sizes are small and there are no war ships in the system. I decide that I must act now or resign to the fact that I will be nothing more than a foot note in this galaxy. I build two bombers and send them to meet up with my battle fleet. In the meantime I alert my ally as to my intentions so as not to shock him with this sudden conflict. Also I decide to warn the player as to my impending aggression. I’ve played some long term multiplayer games and it’s always good form to role play a little prior to an attack. I sent the following message:

quote:

My chancellor informs me that one of our elder citizens has met an untimely end while visiting (your) planet. It has been reported that some tribesmen there brutally attacked him, then ate him. This is of course an outrageous act of barbarism that cannot be tolerated.

I demand that something be done at once to rectify this unfortunate event. My people are inconsolable and close to rioting. I do hope you can offer an explanation on how your government proposes to handle this matter. We wait, but can’t guarantee we’ll wait very long.

It didn’t matter what his response was, similar in style to the Japanese Diplomacy prior to their attack at Pearl Harbor. I just wanted to give him a little heads up that something was coming. I sent this message on turn 249, as I massed my forces in preparation for my attack. On turn 266 anotherfruit responded by saying:

quote:

This happened because of the crazy bananas we bought from raina. Be aware!

Hmm… I don’t know what to make of this message. Is anotherfruit trying to warn me that he’s in league with raina or that I shouldn’t buy bananas from them? I continue my preparations. My battle fleet consisted of 10 small fighters (shuttles), 2 bombers (frigates) and a troop ship (frigate) with 10 troops.

This is the end of the first part of my AAR which covers the beginning of the game up until turn 263. I hope you enjoyed it so far. I look forward to giving you more details on how I do as the game goes on.

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 29.07.2009 03:23.

18.07.2009 23:52 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Traveler's AAR Chapter II

Let Slip the Dogs of War:

I thought that his defenses would be weak enough for me to send in the troop transport and quickly take over the planet. I was horribly wrong about that. He had more than enough defending military troops to make quick work of my invading forces. On turn 263, I invaded with 10 troops who were mightily crushed by anotherfruits 13 defenders.

On turn 268, I followed up with some hastily collected reinforcements. I commenced operations by bombarding the planet destroying 2 facilities and killing 6 citizens in the process. I felt the planet was softened up enough so I order my troops ashore on turn 269. I manage to kill seven defenders before all my troops were killed. I also destroyed another 3 facilities and killed 2 more citizens. By turn 270 the battle is over. The results are less than spectacular; I did not capture the planet and lost 5 fighters and 10 troops in the process. I send my troop transport back home to get more.

At home I build more war ships and two fast transports. The fast transports hold five troops and have more engines. My idea is they will be able to carry troops into battle faster and help shuttle my forces around quicker. I decide to send a message to anotherfruit in an attempt to open a channel for diplomacy should the planet prove to be untenable and send the following:

quote:

I must say, my General’s prediction that this expedition would be an easy affair and the fighting would be over by Christmas was terribly wrong. In fact the tenacity of your soldiers’ resistance in their defense of the planet has proven legendary.

My troops have developed great respect for your forces and say they fight like possessed war hounds. When we conquer the planet we will erect a monument un honor of their brave defense.

Kudos,

We did not hear back from anotherfruit and to this moment have not heard back from them. He sent some war ships in an attempt to lift my blockading fleet over his planet to no avail. I shot down everyone he sent. By turn 286 I had amassed enough troop ships to deliver an over whelming force that I knew would do the trick. With twenty well trained troops we invaded the planet killing all 9 defending troops loosing none of my own.

The planet was now ours and promptly renamed “Victory”. This felt real good, my first military operation in the game. I learned a lot from this little skirmish with anotherfruit that will help me in the future. I noticed more war ships from anotherfruit coming into the system. I won the battle but the war was not over. I decided to try diplomacy to see whether anotherfruit was open to negotiations and sent the following message:

quote:

My Fleet Admiral reports that the planet has fallen and is now under our control. As promised my combat engineers have begun to construct a monument to the Heroic Defense your forces performed during this action.

We truly appreciate your military prowess and upon retrospect would not have entered into this fight had we known the extent of your capabilities. Rest assured we’ve taken full measure of your people and hold them in the highest regard.

I hoped by being respectful I could come to terms with him. Unfortunately I knew that blood had been shed and if I were in his shoes I would not rest until the planet was retaken. All told the final tally for the battle was anotherfuit lost 10 citizens, 4 facilities, 22 troops, and 1 corvette with my losses at 10 fighters and 20 troops.

The Conflict Grows:

I take stock of my current position and realize that I must press on with my fight against anotherfruit. He is a worthy opponent and it seems we are evenly matched as far as capabilities. He controls more planets but has not developed them enough to out produce me or be more advanced. With this knowledge I commit one of my planets to produce war ships non stop. I hope I can remain close to anotherfruit in capabilities as the conflict continues.

As the turns tick by anotherfruit and I engage in a sparring match with our fleets. Small skirmishes pop up around the contested system as well as my home galaxy. Anotherfruit sends a harassing bomber that was destroyed by my ally DarkAngal. That’s right DarkAngal has committed some of his ships to help defend my home system. This is extremely valuable as it means I can use all my resources for the fight around the planet Victory and send the following warning to anotherfruit:

quote:

The hostilities on Victory have ceased. However, I am receiving reports from across my systems of continued aggression perpetrated by your forces. I have sent you numerous communiqués expressing our intention to govern Victory to compensate for our citizen that was brutally slain there.

Unfortunately it seems the changing of hands for this planet is not enough, as your forces continue their campaign against us. Perhaps your translators are broken and you don’t understand our messages. I will discuss this possibility with my Chancellor to see how we can rectify the matter.

I notice anotherfruit amassing a fleet on a nearby planet in the contested system and decide I should take action before he becomes too powerful. On turn 313, I send my entire fleet, which consists of 9 fighters and 2 bombers, against his fleet in our first fleet on fleet action. I am victorious losing only 2 fighters compared to anotherfruit’s 1 corvette and 5 frigates; I also kill 5 citizens and destroy 1 facility from the planet the battle is fought over.

His presence in the system is significantly reduced. I also notice that new ships are being produced from one of the planets in the system. I quickly decide I must stop him from building ships locally as this could prove disastrous. I gather all my forces in a massive invasion fleet, with 14 fighters, 2 bombers, 2 fast transports (with 10 troops) and 2 more heavy transports (with 20 troops). On turn 315, I send them against the target planet with far better results than my previous invasion attempt. I conquer the planet losing 10 fighters and 1 troop; anotherfruit loses 1 corvette, 3 citizens, 4 facilities and 11 troops. I sent the following message on turn 314 prior to the attack to explain my actions:

quote:

It seems you can’t be trusted; My Spy Minister informs me that you are building war ships at your planet. Again your actions force my hand against you. How can I govern the planet Victory with the threat of attack only 2 clicks away. Once more I must relent to the calls for swift action and allow my Admiral to strike preemptively.

I assure you we can not live in peace if you act aggressively like this. I have not had any communication from you and can only surmise you have ill intentions toward my people. Stand ready sir, I am prepared to declare total war if we continue to feel threatened.

I capture a lot of citizens with this planet. This is good as I can get this planet working for me faster. I must prepare for the inevitable counter attack that I’m sure anotherfruit is preparing for me. I notice more war ships flying into the system. I hope I can keep the momentum up.

This is the end of Part II of my AAR which covers from turn 263 up until turn 315. I hope you enjoyed it so far. Stay tuned to see what happens next.

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 29.07.2009 03:22.

18.07.2009 23:59 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
inerz Player-Rank: 3
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

today my fleet admiral came to me and said he couldnt work for me anymore.

i said ok and resumed reading the Galactic Overlord Fashion Magazine.

he was a bit taken aback by this and asked me if i wanted to know why he couldnt work for me.

when i asked him why, he said the crew didnt take him seriously because his admiral uniform had too many tassels.

i told him he would just have to make the best of it, because thats the admiral uniform i ordered and those things are expensive.

he then skulked around my office, dragging his feet, looking at bookshelves, fiddling with my bonzai herring, sighing alot until i asked him if there was anything else he would like to talk about.

he looked at me for a long time and asked me if i didnt like him anymore and if i had someone else. the crew had apparently been spreading rumors about his replacement.

i told him to get a grip on himself and that he was merely my scouting admiral and his particular region no longer needed scouting as i owned all the systems there.

(now accepting donations for dismissed admirals retirement home)

This post has been edited 4.8E30 time(s), it was last edited by inerz: Today, 18:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-1uDF8bPo
19.07.2009 00:04 inerz is offline Send an Email to inerz Search for Posts by inerz Add inerz to your Buddy List
Arcady Player-Rank: 3 Arcady is a male
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1313.gif

Registration Date: 13.09.2008

RE: Galaxy 23 AAR Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is really good! I think it would be great to see more of these in the future myself. There are others which can be found here: War Stories

Nothing helps other people learn from mistakes more than analyzing their own, or reading other peoples stories.

--<Emma Gonzalez for President>--

19.07.2009 00:18 Arcady is offline Send an Email to Arcady Search for Posts by Arcady Add Arcady to your Buddy List
uncountednose Player-Rank: 3 uncountednose is a male
Master Beta-Tester Extraordinaire

images/avatars/avatar-892.gif

Registration Date: 01.02.2007

RE: Galaxy 23 AAR Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

good read, i enjoyed it

-Erwin [CS]
19.07.2009 01:02 uncountednose is offline Send an Email to uncountednose Search for Posts by uncountednose Add uncountednose to your Buddy List
River Reaper Player-Rank: 2
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

images/avatars/avatar-367.jpg

Registration Date: 24.12.2007

Reports Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Bravo! I enjoyed it too. Can I assume that you have only your home system and these couple planets in a nearby system by turn 300 something?

19.07.2009 07:08 River Reaper is offline Send an Email to River Reaper Search for Posts by River Reaper Add River Reaper to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Hello

@River Reaper- Thank you. Yes, until I declared war on anotherfruit I only had six planets in my home system. As of turn 315, I have eight planets to my name two of which were hard fought rewards from my conflict with anotherfruit. We continue to battle for supremacy in the contested system.

@uncountednose- Thank you. I look forward to detailing the next 100 or so turns. The conflict is heating up.

@Arcady- Thank you. I found that AARs that were posted for the games I've played have helped develop the community for many great strategy titles. I would love to post my AAR in the War Stories collection. I hope more players from Galaxy 23 will post their stories here.

@inerz- ROFL that was really nice. My wife and I enjoyed reading your story. Very entertaining. Keep up the good work.

Traveler

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 19.07.2009 08:47.

19.07.2009 08:46 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
Shadow2692 Player-Rank: 2
Wonders where that new Farmer came from

Registration Date: 16.06.2009

This is nice! Mind if I copy you sometime in the future when Galaxy 21 is done? Big Grin
20.07.2009 00:23 Shadow2692 is offline Send an Email to Shadow2692 Search for Posts by Shadow2692 Add Shadow2692 to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

@ shadow2692 - By all means Shadow, if you're playing in galaxy 23 go ahead and post here. This AAR thread is for anyone playing in 23 who wants to share their story. It's an opportunity to role play, learn a little about other player's style and see a unique perspective about the game.

20.07.2009 00:56 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
Nongolf Player-Rank: 3 Nongolf is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-1040.gif

Registration Date: 29.09.2007

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow2692
This is nice! Mind if I copy you sometime in the future when Galaxy 21 is done? Big Grin

It isn't nice to copy people's work. Drawing inspiration, however, is an enitrely different matter Wink

@Traveller: Good reading. Looking forward to Part III Smile
20.07.2009 01:03 Nongolf is offline Send an Email to Nongolf Search for Posts by Nongolf Add Nongolf to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Traveler's AAR Chapter III

Ties That Bind:

When one is faced with a competent opponent who’s similar in strength and size, you must consider other methods to defeat them. It is with this in mind that I begin to send out diplomats to the nearby systems in order to find friendly rulers who could lend a hand. I spend several turns speaking to foreign rulers explaining to them my current conflict and what my goals are.

Our Home System

Some of these rulers are receptive and some don’t seem interested in becoming embroiled in a small conflict. I quickly realize there are some major conflicts going on around anotherfruit and I. These wars are very big involving several players across several systems and with huge fleets. A stark reality hits me, once these big wars end I could become an easy target for these grizzled war veterans.

My efforts are not completely fruitless, as I do gain a couple more allies and some new friends. I’m sure if I can prove myself as a competent ruler they may help me later on. I’m more eager than ever to finish this conflict with anotherfruit. I start by increasing the size of my fleet in the contested system and build a defensive fleet in my home system. I give orders to Kirk, my newly appointed Admiral, to engage the enemy in the contested system. I don’t need anotherfruit getting too powerful, as I notice more ships entering the system.

To Boldly Go:

Kirk sets out after a fleet forming over the planet 2/1/2-3. Kirk’s fleet of 12 fighters swoops in and takes out anotherfruit’s two corvettes and a frigate with no losses. A couple turns later more enemy ships are spotted over 2/1/2-3. Kirk sends in the fleet and quickly creates a debris field out of them, destroying a corvette and a frigate. Kirk was proving to be a competent Admiral.

The goal in the system was to have two fleets. One for attacking, lead by Kirk and another for defense which would be lead by Nelson, my newest Admiral. I began to produce more fighters and send them to the planet Victory, where I would form my Defensive Fleet. While Kirk was with my Attack Fleet over my newest planet Conquest, an enemy ship was spotted flying into the system. Kirk was too far away to intercept the ship so two fighters flying in from the home system were dispatched.

Wedge and Wes Shoot Down Enemy

The two fighters were being piloted by promising graduates from our space academy. The pilots, Wedge Antilles and Wes Janson, expertly closed in on the enemy frigate as it passed the system’s sun. They managed to cripple the frigate on their first pass as the frightened enemy tried desperately to evade them. Finally they swooped in and finished the frigate off with a satisfying explosion that signaled to the enemy our dominance in the system.

Success Feels Good:

During this time we noticed war ships were being produced from the planet 2/1/2-5. This planet became a priority on the attack list. It was determined to maintain dominance in the system we would have to take the planet. Due to not hearing from anotherfruit we could only believe his intentions were hostile. Kirk was given his orders and the fleet was prepared for battle. The Order Of Battle was simple; the Attack Fleet would go in first and clear the space over the planet of enemy ships. Then the Transport Fleet, with thirty veteran troops would come in and assault the planet.

Kirk swept the skies of the enemy effortlessly, suffering no losses. The Transport Fleet followed up and landed on the planet sweeping the enemy aside. The results were astounding with anotherfruit losing 2 corvettes in the space battle and 19 stationed military on the planet with our losses totaling 6 invading troops killed in action. We captured all his buildings and 18 citizens. We christened our newly conquered planet “Triumph”.

Emboldened by our success we drafted a stern message for anotherfruit, which read as follows:

quote:

Hail anotherfruit,

Sir, the bloodshed must stop. I now control three planets in the contested system. I will continue to pick off the rest one by one. If you do not communicate with me I will proceed to invade your other systems.

It is understandable during times of war to refuse diplomatic correspondence. However the refusal to talk now is ruinous for both of us. All options are on the table we need only start the dialog. I’m even open to third party talks. I stand ready to receive any message from you.

Respectfully,
Traveler, Kahn of the Rocks

The idea was to encourage anotherfruit to start talking. I feared he would quit or perhaps believed I would continue to attack him without end. I’m not sure it would be in my best interest to continue this fight against anotherfruit and would like to pursue technology as my war footing leaves little time to study at the universities. I even offered anotherfruit the chance to evacuate the system of all his ships and troops. At least he could keep these valuable assets instead of letting me destroy them.

The last message seemed to do the trick as anotherfruit responded. I won’t show the message here, as it wasn’t too kind. Suffice it to say he felt wronged and didn’t believe negotiations would do anything. I agree that it was I that started the conflict, however I felt it was a just cause. I had one system to my name and he was the closest in strength to me at the time. His score was higher than mine to be sure and I was taking a great risk striking out at him. It was a gamble that was paying off as my people have grown stronger and anotherfruit has grown weaker.

Peace is Fleeting:

Soon after his message anotherfruit destroyed a scout ship I had doing recon in one of his systems. As a sign of good faith, still wanting to bring him to the peace table, I pulled my other scouts away from his other systems. Note, our war had now passed the 100 turn mark. I declared war on turn 255 and officially started hostilities on turn 263. On turn 364, I pulled my scouts out of his systems and quietly built up my defenses, hoping for peace.

The Contested System

Like the pitcher on a baseball mound watching a player out of the corner of his eye to prevent him from stealing a base, I keep a weary eye out for signs of discord from anotherfruit. Much to my dismay I see a war ship pop up over 2/1/2-2. It’s been thirty turns of peaceful growth thinking maybe just maybe anotherfruit will notice I’ve made no aggressive moves toward him and perhaps he might see that I can be reasonable. Alas, I must once again exert my dominance in the system and prevent him from gaining strength here.

Similar to the action that helped us in our victory for “Triumph”, we use the same tactics as we prepare for our attack on 2/1/2-2. Kirk leads the fleet against the ship over the planet prior to the transports flying in to drop their troops on the surface. A text book operation by now with anotherfruit losing a defending corvette in space and 7 stationed military, with no losses of our own. Again we manage to capture all his buildings and 19 citizens this time. A great victory for Kirk and our people, but it also breeds over confidence. We name our new planet “Conquest”.

Pain is the Greatest Teacher:

We send word to our allies that soon we will be done with our conflict and should be able to lend material support to their efforts. It felt good to offer assistance rather than ask for help as we’ve done so often. Our allies were happy to hear our good news and welcomed our support. So we set our sights on the planet 2/1/2-3.

For some inexplicable reason Kirk took the Attack Fleet into the space over the planet without conducting any scans. The results as you can imagine were disastrous. The greatest defeat in our history, the likes of which I do not ever want to see again. The only good thing to come of this debacle was that Kirk did not survive, saving us the shame of a court-martial for his ineptitude. We lost 9 fighters and 2 attack frigates to anotherfruits 1 corvette. The planet had 4 turrets with expert targeting that devastated our forces.

I sent a congratulatory message to anotherfruit which he graciously replied to, being very kind in regards to my defeat. He truly is a worthy adversary. I also notify my allies of the setback I encountered. All I can do now is try to rebuild and ensure this type of tragedy does not happen again.

This is the end of the chapter; I have covered from turn 315 to 400. The conflict seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Stay tuned to see what happens next.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 29.07.2009 03:21.

23.07.2009 05:27 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
kickthecat75 Player-Rank: 1 kickthecat75 is a male
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-410.gif

Registration Date: 08.03.2008

nicely done
23.07.2009 06:31 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
Erwin [CS] Player-Rank: 2 Erwin [CS] is a male
Admiral Moo

images/avatars/avatar-124.gif

Registration Date: 26.12.2004

Heheh nicely done those ships in the screenshot! For a moment I had to think, "when did I implement that?" Wink
23.07.2009 10:58 Erwin [CS] is offline Search for Posts by Erwin [CS] Add Erwin [CS] to your Buddy List
Earendel Player-Rank: 2 Earendel is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-795.jpg

Registration Date: 16.02.2009

quote:
Originally posted by Erwin [CS]
For a moment I had to think, "when did I implement that?" Wink

You probably dreamt it.

23.07.2009 11:22 Earendel is offline Send an Email to Earendel Homepage of Earendel Search for Posts by Earendel Add Earendel to your Buddy List

quote:
Originally posted by Earendel
quote:

You probably dreamt it.

its a conspiracy man. i know it!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kickthecat75: 23.07.2009 16:52.

23.07.2009 16:52 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
stabby Player-Rank: 2 stabby is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

images/avatars/avatar-437.jpg

Registration Date: 12.12.2007

quote:
Originally posted by kickthecat75
quote:
Originally posted by Earendel
quote:

You probably dreamt it.

its a conspiracy man. i know it!

I know how you feel...

23.07.2009 19:25 stabby is offline Send an Email to stabby Homepage of stabby Search for Posts by stabby Add stabby to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

Traveler's AAR Chapter IV

Tides of War:

With the destruction of my Attack Fleet and the loss of a Fleet Admiral the tides of war seemed to flow in favor of anotherfruit. It will take some time to rebuild and reequip a replacement fleet. Also with the realization that anotherfruit had heavily fortified his planets a new strategy would have to be implemented if we were to continue the fight.

Production swung into full gear to build the new fleet, which would include heavy bombers... lots of them. The lack of resources became a serious concern. We just didn’t have the money or planets that could meet the demand of our construction effort. Therefore I turned to diplomacy. Perhaps a few friendly rulers in this immense galaxy would be willing to share some vital resources with us, it was worth a try. I sent out several messages asking for material aid and explained what it would be used for. Surprisingly, several rulers replied and sent resources. We were very thankful.

Once again, through conversations with other rulers, I was made aware of several large scale conflicts going on around the galaxy. I lamented that I was unable to help and was somewhat relieved the fighting hadn’t spilled over into my systems. After spying on anotherfruit’s planets I was discouraged at the sight of many turrets, shield generators, fortresses and lots of stationed military. I began to wonder if victory in the Citrine system was untenable.

Crushing Defeat:

A long period of stalemate ensued after the loss of my Attack Fleet, in the Battle Over Citrine 1. It seemed anotherfruit was resigned to dig in and wait for me to attack. I was more than eager to do so, however I lacked the industrial capacity to crank out war ships fast enough to carry the fight to him in a timely manner.

Sulu, in a Delta Formation, flies in to attack.

Much to my chagrin I noticed anotherfruit was flying a fleet of six Frigates into the system. I scrambled my Citrine Defense Fleet, lead by Admiral Sulu, to intercept the enemy before they could reach safe harbor on one of anotherfruit’s planets. I felt confident that Sulu had more than enough firepower to dispatch the inbound threat. Alas, anotherfruit’s frigates were more than a match for my fleet. The entire fleet was wiped out, once again an embarrassing debacle which crushed our war effort. All told, we suffered the loss of 20 fighters with anotherfruit losing just 2 frigates. Sulu was also lost, another fine admiral with a promising career cut short by the ravages of war. The action will be known as the Battle of Citrine Space.

Once again we humbled ourselves as we sent anotherfruit a congratulatory message. This loss was untimely as now we had neither an attack fleet nor a defense fleet in Citrine. Our presence in the system was now tenuous. To add tension to the situation, shortly after the humiliating defeat, lalala987 declared war on us. No warning or reason was given.

Fortunately for us, a friendly galactic ruler assured us they were fighting lalala987 and were winning. This gave us some measure of comfort as we had no way of defending ourselves. Some time later more good news arrived from our shipyard, indicating our newest fleet was completed. A new admiral was placed in command and their first order was to deal with the enemy fleet that destroyed the Citrine Defense Fleet.

Strangely, since the battle, the enemy frigates remained motionless in space where the battle took place. It had been 14 turns since the battle, perhaps the captain of the enemy fleet reveled in the gore of the debris field or maybe they celebrated so hard they were incapable of piloting their ships. Whatever the reason, our newly minted attack fleet with its fresh leader would fly out to deliver retribution.

Return to Glory:

Doolittle was our new commander, and he was eager to engage the enemy. He certainly had the right stuff as he crushed the enemy sparing none. The battle results were a satisfying 4 enemy frigates destroyed with no losses of our own. This was a tremendous boost for our moral. The designers of our new fighters were commended on their outstanding craftsmanship. Soon after more good news came from our shipyard as our new bomber fleet was completed. Admiral Spaatz was placed in command of the Bomber Fleet and would coordinate invasion plans with Admiral Doolittle.

The nearby lightly defended 3/1/1 system.

A massive scanning campaign was launched to help identify the next target for our campaign. We quickly realized much to our horror that anotherfruit used this time to build impenetrable defenses on the planets in the Citrine System. On the advice of Admiral Ackbar we spread our scans to anotherfruit’s nearby systems and found some vulnerable targets. We initially wanted to limit the conflict to the Citrine System but faced with these odds our only logical move was to bring the fight where anotherfruit was weakest. We sent the following message warning of the impending attack.

quote:

Hail anotherfruit,

It seems you’ve boosted the defenses on your Citrine planets to the point where it would be suicidal for me to assault them. Kudos to you and your engineers for the impressive fortifications. However, I have found a weakness in your defenses and must exploit it. You have proven to be a valiant adversary and I commend you on your spirited fight.

Be on guard, we are coming and none of your planets are safe.

Respectfully,
Traveler, Kahn of the Rocks

The order was given and Admiral Doolittle drew up a brilliant plan to invade the 3/1/1 system. It called for a blitz style attack, where the fleet would break up into separate parts striking three planets simultaneously. I didn’t like the idea of splitting our forces; however the plan was bold and daring. Doolittle was given approval for the invasion plan with support from Admiral Spaatz’s bombers. I watched anxiously as the fleet flew into the system then split up to attack their designated planets. Like clockwork each planet fell as planned.

Admirals Doolittle and Spaatz split the fleet.

A fourth planet that had been identified as weakly defended was quickly assaulted using forces from one of the newly conquered planets. All told we captured four planets, with 98 citizens and 7 facilities suffering no losses. The battle casualties for anotherfruit totaled 6 citizens lost, 3 facilities destroyed and 2 stationed military killed in action. A tremendous victory for us which would help us in our continued war effort as the new planets would boost our science, mining and production output.

We end this chapter on a high note, covering the game from turn 400 to turn 500. Stay tuned to see if we can turn this victory into future success. Also, we learn more about the Galactic War which is raging all around us.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 29.07.2009 03:28.

29.07.2009 03:20 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List

this is nice, but i wonder... is anotherfruit on the forums?
29.07.2009 05:12 kickthecat75 is offline Send an Email to kickthecat75 Search for Posts by kickthecat75 Add kickthecat75 to your Buddy List
Has Speed 5 Frigates

kickthecat75,

Yes, anotherfruit has visited the forums and posted awhile ago. He has not posted in this thread however.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Traveler: 29.07.2009 05:33.

29.07.2009 05:32 Traveler is offline Send an Email to Traveler Search for Posts by Traveler Add Traveler to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Galaxy 23 AAR

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH