Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Team Galaxies: A fresh start » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Team Galaxies: A fresh start
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
raf7 Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 14.05.2009

Question Team Galaxies: A fresh start Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What can we do to make Team Galaxies more vivid and participated?

After observing what has been happening in the last few months and meditating upon this question, I have discovered that there is much we can do, and found some answers that I believe can set us on the right track. So, here is what I propose.

I. A schedule for Team Galaxies
Starting next month, I propose to extend the schedule for ranked galaxies to TG's. The basic idea is to rotate between two types of events:
» Free TG's - Free access to all ranked players (normal sign up), with the focus on participation.
» Ranked TG's - Restricted access, regulated by Forum sign up, meant for those players that like to invest on a game with some strategic depth, populated by commited participants.

The idea is to somehow create a positive interaction betwen quantity and quality. Free TG's can be played by anyone: those that seek to try out a Team event for the first time, those that wish to prove themselves worthy of the restricted events, and those who are already experienced and simply wish to keep playing. Ranked TG's are sort of First League events, only available to those who show the ability to maintain activity and Teamwork throughout the duration of a Team Galaxy.

In terms of schedule, what I propose is that TGs become a much more frequent event: at any given time, we either have a TG running or one being prepared (open for sign up). Since the duration of these galaxies is variable, starting dates are set in reference to when each game ends, with a period of 1 or 2 weeks for signing up for the new one.

II. TG's Hall of Fame
To promote fun, and also to keep track on who has access to the ranked games, I propose the following system of distribution of points:
» Active + Victory = 2 points
» Active = 1 point
» Semi-active = 0 points
» Inactive or unresponsive = -1 points

Victorious players are those that belong to the Team that wins the game. Active participation means the player actively plays the game until the winners are found. Semi-active participation means the player only plays a part of the game and/or has a limited participation on team communication (without presenting a justification). Inactive or unresponsive players are those that stop playing or communicating with the Team (without presenting a justification).

Each Team can provide two additional points, distinguishing two players with noteworthy contributions:
» Extraordinary Foe - One extra point to an opponent who shows great value in battle.
» Extraordinary Teammate - One extra point to a teammate whose contribution is specially valuable to the Team.

After each game, the Teams provide a list that describes how each of their players have participated in the game, and to who they award the 2 extra points (if they do award them). The Hall of Fame is build upon the final result and these lists, and distinguishes players by the end of each year.

A simple idea to regulate the participation on Ranked TG's is to only allow players who have (or perhaps receive) a positive number of points, and we can also consider opinions coming from previous teammates.

III - Setting Team Galaxies
Free TG's are set with normal configurations:
- Two players are nominated to choose the Teams using the player selection dialogue;
- Players are distributed randomly on their side of the galaxy by the default automatic reshuffle;
- Galaxies start on the designated time, and everything is allowed since the beginning.

Unless a minimum of two players (one for each team) propose and assume the responsibility to establish any non-normal configurations (like public team selection, initial positions, or any house rules), Ranked TG's are also configured likewise. With this, as long as we define two players to set their preferences for selecting players, the galaxy is always ready to go. Notice that these two players are by no means bound to any further special responsibility, leaving space for any structure of leadership/advising to emerge from inside each formed Team.

Overview
These ideas orbit around the 'keep it simple' golden principle, aiming to set a steady rythm for team events that can finally provide frequent opportunities for those players who like/prefer TG's. Teamwork can be fun even with a small number of players, and I think it is important to keep things in motion. I also propose that we keep it very simple for the next few months so that everything has the space to happen smoothly, and TG's are reinvigorated and reestablished.

As always, I call upon the Community for dialogue and participation. A simple word of acknowledgement can make quite a difference in terms of encouragement... Smile

19.04.2014 17:53 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
NickVanran Player-Rank: 3 NickVanran is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-698.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

RE: Team Galaxies: A fresh start Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds very good to me, RAF7.

I have not signed up for a game for a little while because of work load, but will as soon as I feel conformable doing so. Besides I like the team galaxy environment.

Nick

19.04.2014 20:42 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
geralth Player-Rank: 3 geralth is a male
Invades without Troop Ships

images/avatars/avatar-1199.jpg

Registration Date: 02.02.2013

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

great idea!

19.04.2014 22:26 geralth is offline Send an Email to geralth Homepage of geralth Search for Posts by geralth Add geralth to your Buddy List
tmog66 Player-Rank: 2 tmog66 is a male
Arms Farmers, and Farms Armor

images/avatars/avatar-1235.jpg

Registration Date: 16.04.2010

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

+1 I want to team.
20.04.2014 10:44 tmog66 is offline Send an Email to tmog66 Homepage of tmog66 Search for Posts by tmog66 Add tmog66 to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

So I guess we can start talking about when and what team galaxy we're setting up next now? One thing I sometimes found confusing was when to start talking about the next galaxy.. Especially when there's still one going on currently.. Usually we wait till one game is over.. But that means some pause between galaxies ending and starting while things are sorted out.. On the other hand starting discussions too early might mean some players are distracted and neglect the galaxy they're currently in.. A bit worse still when the ongoing team galaxy only involves a few players .. But I guess there's an easy compromise somewhere in between

The other thing I didn't seem quite to get is on how they decide which player contributed to the team.. Was it team captains or a general tally of votes from the teal

20.04.2014 12:35 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by raf7

quote:
Originally posted by tingling
So I guess we can start talking about when and what team galaxy we're setting up next now? One thing I sometimes found confusing was when to start talking about the next galaxy.. Especially when there's still one going on currently.. Usually we wait till one game is over.. But that means some pause between galaxies ending and starting while things are sorted out.. On the other hand starting discussions too early might mean some players are distracted and neglect the galaxy they're currently in.. A bit worse still when the ongoing team galaxy only involves a few players .. But I guess there's an easy compromise somewhere in between

We have to see what works best, and adjust if needed. There usually is a number of ticks happening after the winner is found, and that could be the beginning of the transition period... And since we are rotating between two types of TG, with eventually different sets of players, I think the situation is probably easier to manage.

Also, discussions are optional. Games are assumed to have default settings, and are ready to go. Any requests/suggestions still have up to 2 weeks time to be made. But it is a new rythm, with the focus on making it happen smoothly and with simplicity, eventually appealing for a more careful energy management on each game... Wink

On any case, this fresh start would be happening next month, after the current Tg is over and the Anniversary galaxy is already rolling. I am presenting it now so that we can have space to talk about it and get ready for what is new.

quote:
The other thing I didn't seem quite to get is on how they decide which player contributed to the team.. Was it team captains or a general tally of votes from the teal

I would say that that is up for each Team to decide... though I bet a simple thread asking for opinions might do it. Smile

20.04.2014 16:41 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Domino Player-Rank: 2
Has Speed 5 Frigates

images/avatars/avatar-1293.jpg

Registration Date: 11.10.2009

Count me in!

01.05.2014 23:00 Domino is offline Send an Email to Domino Search for Posts by Domino Add Domino to your Buddy List
Alarik Player-Rank: 3 Alarik is a male
Builds Destroyers without Bathroom

Registration Date: 29.03.2009

I'm wondering if there's any way to mix up the demo and team galaxies concepts.
So say the first 20-50? (beta / build up)turns can be manually controlled by the team leader. Then once both teams are done with that (import I'm guessing?) - have a set start point for galaxy wide standard timed turns and have a decent sized 'river' area to explore/ colonize/contest over.

This approach - if even possible - would possibly eliminate some of those late entrants so long as there is communication in the team. Ideally allowing a more even footing and similar development of home zones.
No idea if this is even possible, but the thought just occurred to me so i thought I'd bring it up.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Alarik: 09.05.2014 22:41.

09.05.2014 22:38 Alarik is offline Send an Email to Alarik Search for Posts by Alarik Add Alarik to your Buddy List
Ruger Player-Rank: 3 Ruger is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1130.jpg

Registration Date: 23.03.2008

The late entrants was a anomaly really. It generally does not happen. This last one was just a mess in the setup. I thought it was postponed but it wasn't. So really its just a communication thing.

Teams go, generally we don't have huge issues with communication and time zone, but if it was possible to at least have 2 or 3 on a team that are in the general time zone.

So what are we going to do next? the free team Galaxy. Everyone signup and get assigned teams and go with it. No river but maybe a 50 to 75 tick no attack? Maybe this would pull in new players as well. Could be fun.
09.05.2014 22:59 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List

Could be a Free TG, Ruger. What you say makes sense.

I would prefer to have Free TG's completely free of rules though, to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible since tick 1. Random positions too, to free the Teams from the necessity of communication, leadership and decisions on that subject. And veteran participants are kindly invited to adjust their level of expectations in terms of the quality of teamwork that can emerge under these conditions (yup guys, it is really me saying this! Big Grin )

We would save the more elaborate approaches for Ranked TG's, where the selection of players can also lead to a higher degree of consistent teamwork.

Any more opinions on whether we do Free or Ranked next?

10.05.2014 01:24 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

That actually sounds perfect to me.
10.05.2014 02:06 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List

Ok, here is what I propose...

» Name: Plain Vanilla TG
» TG Type: Free TG
    . Participation is free
    . Direct sign up to the galaxy
    . No house rules (war is on since turn 1)
    . Random initial positions (set with reshuffle)
» Team formation: Internal selection menu
    . Two players of similar experience level set their preferences
» Start: 23rd of May
» Galaxy Settings: To be decided (until next Monday)

. Should consist of average values, easier for new players to cope with

Questions:
1. Can someone please confirm that the period between reshuffle and first tick is 48h? I assumed so in the timings proposed, but it has been a while and I am not sure if it is 72h.
2. Allowing direct sign up also opens the possibility of signing up after reshuffle, and also after the galaxy has started. I think it suits the concept of Free TG, but are we ok with that and its potentially semi-chaotic consequences?
3. As an option to having two players stepping up to select the Teams, I believe it is possible to let the Teams be formed automatically, distributing players according to their Fame points. In case nobody steps up to the task, or if we cannot find two players of similar experience, are we ok with this alternative?

Note: The idea behind all this is simplify and to promote participation and integration of new players, even if that means things are not as tidy and balanced.

10.05.2014 16:24 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

Looks good to me.

Personally I prefer a random draw. Having team selected to be balanced is fine at times, but sometimes being the underdog makes you play a better game. Without the need to do better than you normally would you will never get better at the game.
10.05.2014 17:10 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List

Quite sure it's 72 hours for teams to be set and forums to be up. Everything else looks fine.. It's worked that way before rite.. Guess we can give it a go again

10.05.2014 17:40 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

Ok, thanks Ting. With 72h instead of 48h, the start is on the 24th of May (instead of the 23rd).

In terms of the galaxy, as I mentioned, am planning to set it up with average values (planets, distances, etc.). Am welcoming suggestions/discussion on:
» shape (x/y/z)
» number of seats
» turn length
» HW changes (yes or no)

11.05.2014 02:46 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Rules with an Iron Pinky

standard HW and civ changes. Maybe 5 each or something?
11.05.2014 02:53 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List

how about something wide for the shape this time.. and shallow.. making early conflicts inevitable :p (I like my early fights.. haven't had some for a while since we had grace periods as the norm )

maybe 4*2*8.. 1 to 4 density for 16 players?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tingling: 11.05.2014 03:10.

11.05.2014 03:01 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

quote:
how about something wide for the shape this time.. and shallow.. making early conflicts inevitable :p (I like my early fights.. haven't had some for a while since we had grace periods as the norm )

maybe 4*2*8.. 1 to 4 density for 16 players?

I think we need a more conventional shape too... Smile although this galaxy is open and welcomes the participation of all (btw, veterans are encouraged to play at full steam, making the game real), my mind is on newcomers, and how they may be contacting with TGs for the 1st time. So, I think it is good that they see how roles can be related to position/relative distance to the opponents.

About number of players and density, I think your numbers are fine... maybe 4/5 planets per system?

And we go for allowing HW changes too then, as per Ruger's suggestion.

I am creating the galaxy in the next hour or two... still listening in case anyone wishes to discuss/add anything.

11.05.2014 21:57 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List

The Plain Vanilla Team Galaxy has been set. Feel free to check it at the upcoming galaxies list, and see if everything is ok.

I will open it for sign up tomorrow, during the day, and create a dedicated thread.

12.05.2014 01:00 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List

Sounds fine to me Smile

12.05.2014 02:01 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Team Galaxies: A fresh start

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH