Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Team Galaxies: A fresh start » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Team Galaxies: A fresh start
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ruger Player-Rank: 3 Ruger is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1130.jpg

Registration Date: 23.03.2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Now the challenge is getting people to communicate in the forums. How do we bring the new comers in and make them feel like talking?
12.05.2014 02:19 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was thinking of another training tg in June. tingling loves 2 do those.
12.05.2014 03:36 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List
raf7 Player-Rank: 4
Uses citizens as Ablative Armor

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 14.05.2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by raf7

quote:
Originally posted by Ruger
Now the challenge is getting people to communicate in the forums. How do we bring the new comers in and make them feel like talking?

One of the ideas behind alternating between the two types of TG's, is to motivate all players to actively play the Free TG's as a way of gaining access to Ranked TG's. Maybe that can help a bit...

12.05.2014 13:34 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Radiance Player-Rank: 3 Radiance is a female
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1053.jpg

Registration Date: 13.05.2011

This is awesome. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I especially love being able to say who our most hated opponent was. The team captain would announce the choice in forum, after team discussions and votes on it.

I would like to choose 3 awardees on each side because different players make such different contributions. Especially support.
12.05.2014 22:41 Radiance is offline Send an Email to Radiance Search for Posts by Radiance Add Radiance to your Buddy List

This is the thread where I first presented the new TG Fame system that is now active. I encourage everybody who may wish to present their ideas or discuss what is currently regulated, to carefully read the posts before entering their participation.

Furthermore, considering some ideas that have been presented in the Vanilla TG thread, I would like to clarify the following. As far as I am concerned:

» This system stays simple. No fancy subjective analysis of activity or contribution on base point distribution, just Active (during all game), Semi-Active (usefully active during a part of the game), or Inactive. These are easy things to apply, and we want it that way. And in case of doubt, we always apply the most positive classification.

» The distribution of the 2 extra Fame points is fully aligned with Teamwork spirit. Outstanding Teammate is a Team related award, distinguishing players that worked for the Team in whatever role they had, and beyond their role, as an active team member in communication, or guidance, or leadership, or cheering, etc. Outstanding Foe is a fun award, meant to have both Teams appreciating the quality and active dedication of someone in the other Team, bringing a deeper perspective to the collective of players. And while both awards are optional, I see good reasons to deliver them with a smile. Smile

» We are creating a TG Hall of Fame, and distinguishing Victory in a TG is an essential part of it. We do consider participation to be important, but overcoming challenges is an essential part of the fun, and a guideline into meaningful participation, creating the vital breath of learning and evolution.

» This system is a great improvement, and something that needs to remain stable so that we can appreciate what it can deliver. Keep in mind that this system appears as an answer to the question that started this thread, that I have carefully pondered it before proposing, and, most significantly, that it is already producing the desired effect!

So, while welcoming ideas, suggestions and constructive discussion, my recommendation is that we keep this system during this year, do our best to contribute for it to fullfil its purpose, and eventually review it after experiencing its results.

22.06.2014 15:01 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
DarkLStrike Player-Rank: 3
Assigns Gov Schwarzenegger to all Planets

images/avatars/avatar-1237.jpg

Registration Date: 14.01.2007

I propose a different score chart:

0 points for inactive.
2 points for semi active.
4 points for active.

2 extra points for victory.

As you said, both awards are optional and they are more "fun based" than anything else. I do not believe they should be worth as much as they do now. In your current score chart, most active, contributing players on the losing team would only get 1 point, whereas, an arbitrary active contributing player on the winning team could get 4 points (1 activity, 1 victory, 1 outstanding teammate and 1 outstanding enemy). I don't think a player should get 400% more points in a galaxy just because they happened to be on the winning team and were marginally better than their teammates. This is absurd.

If we must have a outstanding teammate and foe award, let it be only worth 1 point in my score chart.

22.06.2014 19:51 DarkLStrike is offline Send an Email to DarkLStrike Search for Posts by DarkLStrike Add DarkLStrike to your Buddy List

@DLS

Although I dispute your use of the word "absurd", and disagree with some of what you describe, I see merit in what you propose. Namely:
» 0 points for inactive seems better than -1 (negative points look heavy, and we are probably better of without them)
» positive points for semi active looks better than 0 (they do contribute with something after all)
» decreasing the weight of special awards also seems right

However, I do feel that victory should award twice as much points than defeat though. So, I present the following option for discussion:

0 points for inactive.
1 point for semi active.
2 points for active.

2 extra points for victory (only applies to active players).

1 point for each outstanding award.

I am ok with changing the system in what concerns score proportions. Imo, such a change preserves the original intent, and improves the way we do it.

Am welcoming more opinions on which score proportion to prefer.

And thank you kindly for your contribution, DLS... Smile

22.06.2014 23:36 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
NickVanran Player-Rank: 3 NickVanran is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-698.jpg

Registration Date: 21.06.2009

How to get Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This concerns a post up toward the top. How do we get people into the forum and get them to talk.

I have noted that allot of new players go to the chat room and post. They may get an answer or they may not. The chat room is very unused in this game group. In other games you will all ways find some one in the chat room. Young people today want it now, they do not wish to wait for any thing.

I don't know how to fix it, unless we assign people to the chat room for x amount of time, or we sign into the chat room when we arrive and then jump to the game till we hear the beep, telling us that some one has entered chat.

Our in game news tends to keep us out of chat, and the new players do not realize that, they have questions and so they go to the chat room to get them answered, like they do in other games.

Nick

22.06.2014 23:55 NickVanran is offline Send an Email to NickVanran Search for Posts by NickVanran Add NickVanran to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of NickVanran: NickVanran YIM Account Name of NickVanran: Startraderus
Ruger Player-Rank: 3 Ruger is a male
Rules with an Iron Pinky

images/avatars/avatar-1130.jpg

Registration Date: 23.03.2008

All in all the website is dated and needs a face-lift with new added features.

Featured Forum posts should be on a side bar as well as who or how many are currently in chat.

All games in progress with scores are available for all to see in one easy place. I want to know what going on with Rank 1 and 0 player games.

Featured replays as voted upon by players.

The forum is fine as is and no changes are needed there.

I am sure there are many more features and updates that could be made. But it would all have to be volunteer as I am sure Erwin wants no money all all put into it. Are there web designers on here would be willing to give it a go if we can?
23.06.2014 00:50 Ruger is offline Send an Email to Ruger Search for Posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your Buddy List
tingling Player-Rank: 4 tingling is a male
Wins even when not in your Galaxy

Registration Date: 17.11.2010

I've been trying to keep the home page updated with galaxies that are being planned and have just launched (even if it may not be everyone's default landing page ).. and I have to admit it is a bit of work.. I also tried to create a thread in the newbie FAQ for galaxy 253.. and asked one of the guys I met on chat to see if anyone wanted to post stories.. but so far business has been really slow :p and yep.. We do check the chat.. Lately getting bit busier there with DLS bunking there quite often..

Raf also started the hall of fame which counts winners in unranked galaxies..

I realise these are all manual though.. And I guess I could put a link on the front page to the galaxy history page.. Otherwise we'd need Erwin to do something.. Though I didn't think a facelift was actually high priority

Btw isn't this thread about the team galaxy? Why are we digressing?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tingling: 23.06.2014 05:43.

23.06.2014 05:42 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List
chrisadamley Player-Rank: 3

images/avatars/avatar-384.gif

Registration Date: 18.01.2007

I am curious who decides what is considered semi-active compared to full blown active? That seems pretty subjective to me to. Is log in 1 a day only semi active? twice a day? 3 times?....im sure you see my point.

I just wouldn't wan't anyone to become upset because they felt they were active, but were not labeled as such.

Judging other people play style seems negative to me especially for new players...dont need to pressure people to be logged on all the time right? This is a (suppose to be) chill easy going community Smile

Anyways thats my 2 cents for what its worth (not much)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by chrisadamley: 23.06.2014 06:28.

23.06.2014 06:27 chrisadamley is offline Send an Email to chrisadamley Search for Posts by chrisadamley Add chrisadamley to your Buddy List

That's what was in my mind earlier.. When I asked if we'd like to surrender in the forums I only got one reply (although I only later realised a few others responded in the in game chat)

What I'm devising for the Borg team right now is that I'm making an end game roll call.. If a player reads and posts a hi in the team forum.. They get a point.. Otherwise they just get a 0.. Regardless of how active they were during the game.. Not the most perfect indicator of participation.. But it's the most objective one I have at the moment..

I do think this way of doing it is biased against vanguard players though.. They sacrificed early.. Had to do more earlier.. And are more vulnerable to being overrun early and quitting (although the idea is probably to encourage stronger fortitude among players to play on despite set backs)..

We have 5 players who have posted in the team forum.. Just 2 vanguards who didn't.. I would like to ask for 3 more hours before we finalise our submission of scores

23.06.2014 10:23 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

The deadline I set for our team is up.. This are the 'fame' points from the Plain Vanilla TG for the Borg team (are we blue?)

7 of 9-0 Ruger = 1 point
7 of 9-1 geralth = 1 point
7 of 9-2 tingling = 1 point
7 of 9-3 ginge = 1 point
7 of 9-4 Alarik = 0 points *see below
7 of 9-5 Multiglow = 0 points *see below
7 of 9-7 Bard_Beoulve = 1 point

*Edit: as mentioned in the plain vanilla thread.. After further pondering.. Alarik and Multiglow are to be awarded 1 point each

We abstain from voting most outstanding players on either team

These values are based on the point system in the OP of this thread. We note that there is ongoing discussion of a new system, but we haven't considered it - not before we have any confirmation - so raf's initial suggestion we follow.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by tingling: 04.08.2014 14:39.

23.06.2014 13:34 tingling is offline Send an Email to tingling Search for Posts by tingling Add tingling to your Buddy List

I realize that this a new thing for everybody, and that we are adjusting. I too have questions about the results we will have, and time will tell. So, thank you all for helping in making it work, so that we can all learn good ways to improve it with the experience we earn. Smile

Here are a few things that I would like to underline, as an answer to some of the comments (which are welcome, btw):
» Activity should not be measured in terms of logins per day, but in terms of steady participation during the whole game. For instance, in Vanilla TG we, the Elephants, had more than one player that sometimes were away for more than a day, but they were fully present and helpful, and I consider that to be full activity.
» When a player communicates with the Team, saying for instance that he will be out for 5 days (for RL reasons), and he still takes care of his stuff and comes back, I also consider that to be full activity.
» Although I consider this to be an eminently objective approach, in case of doubt we can always adopt the most positive classification to the case in question. This is not a penalization system, but a simple way to encourage responsible participation when playing together with a collective of players.
» Participation in Free TG's is always free for everybody (completely chill and easy going). The only thing we are reserving is the opportunity to create Ranked TG's where we can play it out with some level of commitment between players who assume it, when and if we wish to create such a game.

quote:
Originally posted by tingling
although the idea is probably to encourage stronger fortitude among players to play on despite set backs

Yes, iow, playing as a Team.

Btw, the roll call you describe, Ting, seems pretty objective to me, and a good way of dissolving doubts and protecting a decision. And if someone argues and presents his reasons, we can easily consider it and change the classification. As far as I am concerned, if someone considers himself fully active and actively presents his opinion, I see no reason to disagree. Smile

One more thing I would like to add...

Some voices have described the special awards as not within the spirit of keeping a Team together. My opinion on this is that these awards are precisely a good thing to bring Teams together, namely into a decision that is also an opportunity to express appreciation for those who have delivered a noteworthy dedication.

Again, I would propose we would do it as best as we can, because the essence of these awards may yet reveal itself more fully during the upcoming TG's, and prove to be a good thing to have, bringing a new depth and greater sense of appreciation to us all. So, please bear with me on this guys with some predisposition for it to be a good thing, and let it be for a while before pointing fingers... Wink

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by raf7: 23.06.2014 15:57.

23.06.2014 14:45 raf7 is offline Send an Email to raf7 Search for Posts by raf7 Add raf7 to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Cosmic Supremacy Forum » General » Team Galaxies: A fresh start

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH